How can it weight 3920lbs??

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
How can it weigh 3920lbs??

A friend of mine wrote the following. I think he makes a good point. Can someone enlighten if he's missing something?

Where on earth is this thing picking up a whopping 432lbs from? Check this out. Taking the weight distribution into account should explain just how much extra weight is being added to the front of the GT500 because the rear weight of the vehicles (It and GT) should be close to identical.

Weight Distribution

Because of its larger engine, the Shelby GT500 coupe has more weight over the front wheels than does the standard Mustang GT coupe. On the GT500, 57 percent of the weight is in the front and 43 percent is in the back. In comparison, on the Mustang GT 56 percent of the weight is in the front and 44 percent is in the back. Weight distribution of GT500 convertible matches the Mustang GT coupe due to the power-top mechanism behind the passenger compartment.

GT500 distro 57 – 43 Curb weight 3920 Front weight 3920(.57) = 2234.4

That’s a 281.12lbs front weight difference.

GT distro 56 – 44 Curb weight 3488 Front weight 3488(.56) = 1953.28

GT500 distro 57 – 43 Curb weight 3920 Rear weight 3920(.43) = 1685.6

That’s a 147.88lbs rear weight difference?

GT distro 56 – 44 Curb weight 3488 Rear weight 3488(.44) = 1537.72

So considering that both cars should have nearly identical weights in the rear because they both have solid axles and both have fairly level suspensions, how can a 150lb weight difference in the rear be explained let alone and extra 432lbs overall? The only explanation that I could think of would be an IRS module. Now if it weights 3770lbs:

GT500 distro 57 – 43 Curb weight 3770 Front weight 3770 (.57) = 2148.9

That’s a 195.62lbs front weight difference.

GT distro 56 – 44 Curb weight 3488 Front weight 3488(.56) = 1953.28

GT500 distro 57 – 43 Curb weight 3770 Rear weight 3770 (.43) = 1621.1

That’s a 83.38lbs rear weight difference.

GT distro 56 – 44 Curb weight 3488 Rear weight 3488(.44) = 1537.72

See, if the GT500 isn’t going to have an IRS this makes much more sense. Bigger rotors, bigger wheels, heavier springs, and some of the six-speed weight being transferred to the rear can easily explain the 83lbs increase. I doubt it will come in at 3920. It may not even weight 3770. We’ll see. Either way, I can see getting that thing down another 100lbs with lighter wheels, coil overs, and some tubular parts. Yummy! Did you notice that the front end is more aggressive on the GT500? Looks much better.

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Well, without going through every detail of that long drawn out post, right off the top of my head, an increase in the size of the brakes, wheels, tires and exhaust all add susbstantial weight to the rear of the car. There was also rumors of it having a reinforced differential that might add some weight as well.

Last edited:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Purvis said:
Well, without going through every detail of that long drawn out post, right off the top of my head, an increase in the size of the brakes, wheels, tires and exhaust all add susbstantial weight to the rear of the car. There was also rumors of it having a reinforced differential that might add some weight as well.

83lbs of extra weight or 147lbs. :shrug:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
samill2 said:
83lbs of extra weight or 147lbs. :shrug:
I think the other main problem with your friends thinking, is I dont think you can take the weight distribution so literally..
The difference between 83 pounds and 147 pounds, as far as weight distribution is concerned, is literally tenths of a percent. The math he used to get his numbers is a bit far fetched to be completely honest.. Especially since the weight distribution that was published is not given in hundreths. (or even tenths) of a percent.

I apoligize if Im sounding mean, because Im not trying to be...

Fourcam330

Established Member
I don't think anyone's really been doubting that the car will weigh that much, what would the motive be behind Ford overstating that?
I also think the equation listed above is far too complex to answer such a simple question. If you're looking for the difference in weight between a Mustang GT and a GT500 all you need to do is list the upgraded components. Iron block DOHC 5.4 with forged internals and an Al intercooler/lower/upper intake/roots blower/associated coolant tank vs. a naturally aspirated, cast internal SOHC, Al block 4.6 with plastic intake. 14" Brembo's vs. stock GT brakes, T56 (whatever they call it now) vs. 3650, twin disk clutch vs. single disk lower capacity, thicker anti roll bars, larger/heavier wheels/tires, etc. It all adds up.

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
i think your friend has a lot of time on his hand. the car is going to be a boat, but a speed boat that will have no problems whomping on 98% of the field.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Purvis said:
I think the other main problem with your friends thinking, is I dont think you can take the weight distribution so literally..
The difference between 83 pounds and 147 pounds, as far as weight distribution is concerned, is literally tenths of a percent. The math he used to get his numbers is a bit far fetched to be completely honest.. Especially since the weight distribution that was published is not given in hundreths. (or even tenths) of a percent.

I apoligize if Im sounding mean, because Im not trying to be...

Dude, you're not going to offend me.

Besides, he always thinks he's right about everything anyway (sorry Shawn - it's true). I just don't happen to have an opinion on this matter.

jeffsvt

Established Member
Solo500 said:
Weight isn't in issue, it is the power that matters.

This is exactly why the GT500 ( even modded ) won't hold a candle to the new Z06 , power to weight ratio ! And weight is the issue .

01MustangGT

CHP 5.1L Stroker & KB
Established Member
jeffsvt said:
This is exactly why the GT500 ( even modded ) won't hold a candle to the new Z06 , power to weight ratio ! And weight is the issue .
it not gonna be an issue if it will make 1000 rwhp with a Kenne bell or a whipple on bump gas :banana:

2k1cobra

Established Member
I think we just need to accept the fact that muscle cars are getting heavier and heavier.(ex:challenger its supposed to weight 4100 LBS) I think we should be happy the gt500 doesnt weight that much. :uh oh:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
01MustangGT said:
it not gonna be an issue if it will make 1000 rwhp with a Kenne bell or a whipple on bump gas :banana:

I'm sorry man, but there ain't no way the GT500 makes anywhere near 1000rwhp on pump gas with a kb/whipple. How many pounds of boost would be needed for that? 30+? Maybe with juice added.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
An Ironed block 5.4L is going to be a whole heck of alot heavier than a 4.6

Theres your weight difference.

Knexo

Established Member
Solo500 - Weight isn't in issue, it is the power that matters.

I want to know what planet you live on? Down here on earth we have this little thing called gravity, and weight is a huge issue. As a chevy guy that really like's the new Mustang and was waiting for the GT500, I'm really disappointed. There is no reason why this car weights in at almost 4000 pounds. Ford has gotten really cheap and really lazy about making sure they put out a good product. The last generation Camaro was 7in longer then a Mustang with t-tops and only wieghted 3400 pounds.

2k1cobra - I think we just need to accept the fact that muscle cars are getting heavier and heavier.(ex:challenger its supposed to weight 4100 LBS) I think we should be happy the gt500 doesnt weight that much.

You can't even be possibly be comparing the GT500 to the Challenger! The challenger is 197in long, 10 more then the Mustang. Its also 4in wider. It has an iron block that is 0.7L bigger engine then the GT500. It has an IRS, the same t-56, a usable back seat. People need to quite making excusses for Ford and tell them to build something right.

Fourcam330

Established Member
jeffsvt said:

Really? Granted I wasn't a math major, but here's what I come up with:

GT500 (exhaust, tune, pulley): 638rwhp @ 3850lbs (coupe w/out shaker 1000). P/W: 6.03lbs/rwhp.

C6Z06 (bone stock): 460rw @ ~3075 (can't remember exactly). P/W: 6.68lbs/rwhp.

With the addition of sticky tires, a GT500 modified as such will be able to run 130mph through the quarter @ 4050lbs (3850+200lb driver). Will it handle a seriously modified C6 Z06 in stock longblock/blower form? No, but it will eat a stocker for lunch and have enough left over to deal with slightly to moderately modified Zs. For $40k, and good luck getting a C6Z06 off the lot for under $78K, I can't see how you can complain? :shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I'm sorry man, but there ain't no way the GT500 makes anywhere near 1000rwhp on pump gas with a kb/whipple. How many pounds of boost would be needed for that? 30+? Maybe with juice added.

LOL, it would take a 3.3L twin screw and some quality race gas, maybe a 50 shot on top of it; basically not very feasible. With the right twins (66s for instance) you could hit that easily running a pump/race gas mix.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
LOL, it would take a 3.3L twin screw and some quality race gas, maybe a 50 shot on top of it; basically not very feasible. With the right twins (66s for instance) you could hit that easily running a pump/race gas mix.

:thumbsup: A viper has trouble hitting 1000rwhp with a s/c, so there is no way a much smaller s/c engine with pump gas to boot is hitting 1000rwhp. Turbo is a whole other story, but still probably not with pump gas. You need big cubes to do it with pump.

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
:thumbsup: A viper has trouble hitting 1000rwhp with a s/c, so there is no way a much smaller s/c engine with pump gas to boot is hitting 1000rwhp. Turbo is a whole other story, but still probably not with pump gas. You need big cubes to do it with pump.

Unfortuntely Ben Avery's selling his ported GT head, custom billet cam, .020" over billet 5.4 with dry sump instead of putting it in one of his 03/04s paired with a set of 57s. It would definitely take a mix of pump/race gas @ 1000rwhp, but not a whole lot of boost; under 15psi for sure.
There's a notch in FL with an unported Navi head/stock cam/custom intake 5.4 making 700rw on 7psi of single 80mm+ turbo on pump.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread