how can i tell?

carguy19

Established Member
cobra and svo tail lights are the same. if you look at pics match them up.

The original cobra lights have a dark gray/matte black center stripe.

Not a solid black stripe... the solid black ones are copies.

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
well i have some pictures of my so called 93 cobra taillights, that were on my car. i notice the lines at the start of the curve are not even with the full lines, is that in all or is that a way to tell if they are fake. to my knowledge when i bought my car it had all original parts but then i look at those and are not straight. if someone has any input please do so. thanks!

buddha93

Established Member
Those are the real deal more than likely. The repros that are out there now use a vinyl/decal set of stripes. The OEM are painted, and yes, at the corners the stripes sorta overlap a little.

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
buddha93 said:
Those are the real deal more than likely. The repros that are out there now use a vinyl/decal set of stripes. The OEM are painted, and yes, at the corners the stripes sorta overlap a little.

i will post up pics either today or tomorrow so you guys can let me know, and by the way does anyone have an extra set of original 93 cobra taillights for sale?

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I dont think the repo's will have a Ford part number on them either.

If they are fakes and they have a Ford part number on them, well the violated copy right laws.

buddha93

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I dont think the repo's will have a Ford part number on them either.

If they are fakes and they have a Ford part number on them, well the violated copy right laws.

They're on there. The company bought the original tooling from Ford, and I'm sure the licensing rights to reproduce them. The boxes they come in them state that they are made from such tooling. There's a company that makes reproduction mirrors also using the original tooling......Latemodel Resto sells them.

ninee3cobra, I do have a set of NOS lenses, but you probably won't like the price!:eek:

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
buddha93 said:
They're on there. The company bought the original tooling from Ford, and I'm sure the licensing rights to reproduce them. The boxes they come in them state that they are made from such tooling. There's a company that makes reproduction mirrors also using the original tooling......Latemodel Resto sells them.

ninee3cobra, I do have a set of NOS lenses, but you probably won't like the price!:eek:

:rockon: pm me a price see if we can do some business :thumbsup:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The repros do have the Ford on them, but like was said, the stripes are not painted on.

I just picked up a set of OEM Ford tail light lenses on Ebay, and I paid way less than I was expecting for NOS. I'll contact them and see if they have another pair.

The black lenses are '84 SVO only. That's what was on my cobra for some reason when I got it, but it was obvious they had been changed at some point.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
buddha93 said:

The box says they are made from Ford tooling with all rights sold to this manufacture ?

I really doubt it.

Ford will and always will make money on their items !

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
The repros do have the Ford on them, but like was said, the stripes are not painted on.

I just picked up a set of OEM Ford tail light lenses on Ebay, and I paid way less than I was expecting for NOS. I'll contact them and see if they have another pair.

The black lenses are '84 SVO only. That's what was on my cobra for some reason when I got it, but it was obvious they had been changed at some point.

please do so, let me know if find out, thanks!

SVT1993

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
The box says they are made from Ford tooling with all rights sold to this manufacture ?

I really doubt it.

Ford will and always will make money on their items !

Typically, the vendor/contractor originally making the parts for Ford still has the "Molds" and "Tooling" to continue to make these products. However, Ford will not produce these products any longer because there is not anywhere near the volume of parts in demand by the consumer to make these products profitable for Ford.

So - Ford sells the rights to reproduce their designed/engineered product to some vendor who thinks he can still make a buck from producing these "obsolete" products (and often time this vendor will make big bucks). Only here will Ford try to squeeze the last bit of money out of a desirable part by selling the "rights"

buddha93

Established Member
SVT1993 said:
Typically, the vendor/contractor originally making the parts for Ford still has the "Molds" and "Tooling" to continue to make these products. However, Ford will not produce these products any longer because there is not anywhere near the volume of parts in demand by the consumer to make these products profitable for Ford.

So - Ford sells the rights to reproduce their designed/engineered product to some vendor who thinks he can still make a buck from producing these "obsolete" products (and often time this vendor will make big bucks). Only here will Ford try to squeeze the last bit of money out of a desirable part by selling the "rights"

DITTO!

Sader123

Established Member
The center stripe on my 86 SVO lenses ( OEM ) did not go all the way on the side of the lens. Leaving a small area ( about 2.5" x 1.5" ) of red lens that had no stripe.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Sader123 said:
The center stripe on my 86 SVO lenses ( OEM ) did not go all the way on the side of the lens. Leaving a small area ( about 2.5" x 1.5" ) of red lens that had no stripe.

Does that make sense?

Doesnt really make sense but thats the way they come svo's and cobra's

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Sader123 said:

Does that make sense?

The middle stripe on the bottom portion of the lens doesn't continue all the way to the edge of the lens. Makes sense to me.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Help me out: I thought that the SVO and the '93 taillights although similar, are NOT the same part? I have one of the books at the house with all of the part numbers and I thought I (mis)read that although similar they are not the same...or are they the same part with different part numbers...gotta get home!

Last edited:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
The 'Official Mustang 5.0 Tech. Ref & Perf. Handbook' says (pg. 58, sec 2.2) "...the Cobra taillights are upgraded reproductions of the Mustang SVO model's originals, specific to the 1993 model despite the 1985 part number..." E5ZZ-13450B. (The book, however doesn't state the Ford sources' name nor the printed document that the information is on) Sorry if I got carried away... I don't usually have the documented info. Kind of empowering...

SVT1993

Established Member
The Cobra tail lights are upgraded models of the 84 SVO version. 84 SVO had a E4ZZ part # and has black painted stripes.

The 85 and up version, E5ZZ part #, has gray stripes and is the same as the 93 Cobra tail light.

Users who are viewing this thread