How can I quiet down the inside of my car?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Hey,
I have an O/R hpipe and dual chamber flows that were "dumped" today, right at the mufflers :eek: . So, how can I quiet down the sound from inside of the car. Anyone use some kind of deadener in their car, if so, which kind, how much, how many sq. feet, etc. Thanks for everything. :)

D a m i e n

Established Member
I don't use this stuff myself, it seems a little expensive, and I've only heard from others how well it works.... but, they said it works great and REALLY quieted down exhaust/road noise: http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

I'll try to find out who it was that used this... but it will take some searching. As soon as I find their username I'll post it so you can PM them if you want :thumbsup:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Thanks a lot Damien,
After looking at all of this stuff, maybe I'll wait until (1) I can't stand the sound any longer (2) I'm doing something else w/ the interior that involves removing all of the stuff inside :D

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
well

I'm keeping my dumped exhaust :thumbsup:

Actually, it doesn't sound that bad anymore than when I first got them. My dad actually thinks it quieted down :D

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
You just got used to it :)

Dynamat on the floor and rear section where the mufflers sit, and against the back seat to insulate the trunk, JC Whitney sells some cheap stuff that works good, plus it insulates the road noise, and cold from the trunk area. The trunk can sometimes be a giant subwoofer for the exhaust!

CSVT30

Established Member
Right, earplugs, I use them when opening all windows and hearing road, exhaust, and other noises. Actually, small bit of good old sneeze paper, which when wetted down and placed in your ears, can really tone down noise. I use it at local drag strip events so that the ringing in the ears is lessened.

Be careful of Tinnitus [ringing in the ears] which comes mainly from too much excessive noise.

Anyway, [in the '99] I’ve used the sound deadening, cheaper stuff, material talked about and also bought a sheet of blue foam [4x8 sheet housing material from a local Menards, pink works too, there are several kinds]. Has its own sound deadening quality to it.

I cut the blue material to fit behind the back seats, very easy to do. Simply made a cardboard template. Then attached the deadening material to it and settled once and for all the “chamber” issue coming from the trunk. Car is pretty quiet now, except for stereo and outside exhaust noises. I didn’t use it under the hood, don’t want to drown out the throbbing of air being forced in.

Now if only someone would manufacturer "quiet" tires. Really, except on asphalt, my tires really make a hell of a racket. Especially on concrete highways, gets old.

Last edited:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I have Nitto 555 tires all around (DR in the back) and they don't make much noise by the way. Thanks for the info though :)

Users who are viewing this thread