How bad is it to bump the rev limiter?

LaffnJack

Established Member
Hello All,

Long story short. Had a near miss yesterday that required me to hold the petal on the floor to avoid. No harm done, but I did hit the rev limiter a split second before I shifted. I did not get any idiot lights or see any smoke, but it was hella hot yesterday (95+). What damage, if any, should I be looking for? I have a '98 Cobra if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
-J-

IsmkLS1s

I don't think it's too hard on the motor, if hard on it at all. Whatever you don't do it when your on juice=kaboom if you don't have a W.S.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
tapping it like you did shouldn't cause to much. However, the rev limiter cuts fuel...not spark...so its still sparking the plugs and causing a lean condition..

eightballrj

Established Member
No it is not running lean. When you have a fuel cut you are not having combustion in the cylinders that the ECU dictates the injectors not to fire into on that cycle. Air+spark=nothing. Have to have fuel for combustion. The ECU's totally cuts out fuel injection into alternating cylinders in order to keep engine revs at bay.

Just my 2c,
Richard

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I've bumped it a few times and we're fine. That's why its there...to prevent you from doing any real damage. As long as you've got oil and you're not doing it every day :) Its FINE!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Originally posted by monkeyspunk79
I've bumped it a few times and we're fine. That's why its there...to prevent you from doing any real damage. As long as you've got oil and you're not doing it every day :) Its FINE!
pretty much summed up what i was gunna say :p

Skudra

Established Member
I did the exact same thing the other night LaffnJack...I was half ass racing a GT and saw the parked car in my lane...I was too proud to hit brake so I took 2nd to the limiter and just squeaked in front the guy...the car shut me off just as I went by the guy and the parked car....good times...that got my heart goin...

it wasnt too 'cool'...

Last edited:

svtguy22

Established Member
i never hit the limiter when i shift. when my rpm gets to 6300 and beyond it feels like the car lost 50 hp.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Even the pros hit the rev limiter while powershifting. Id like to see someone shift at 6700 and get it in gear and let the clutch out before 6800 rpms, while keeping the gas pedal to the floor the whole time, and not hit the rev limiter. If u can John Force would probably apriciate u droping him a line so u can give him a few pointers.

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
hahaha your supposed to get the clutch back out before you hit the limiter as many pros dont have limiters so they just hit it quickly. trust me its easily possible to powershift and not hit the rev limiter

Users who are viewing this thread