How bad is a Lightning in the winter and would you buy one with 100k+ miles?

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
Two-parter today. What started as a search for a cheap 4x4 F150 has momentarily morphed into considering a cheap 00 Lightning. Has a 101k miles on it for $10k.

We get a fair amount of snow around here though, so is this truck even remotely capable in the winter and how bad do you think it has been ragged on?

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
thats not a bad asking price for the mileage..and for being raged on it just depends on who the owner is. i know a guy with 200k daily driver with mods and the will drive just fine in the snow im sure if u put some good street snow tires on it and drive it like a truck and not hot rodding it. i say go for it check it out first drive her

thorntonSVT

Established Member
Drives good enough to get around in the weather. Just get a set of winter tires and drive it normal. I would say that is a fair price.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
Winter tires are a must!! I tackled some snow we got here last year in my L with street tires and all i did for about 15 mins was spin.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
If my fiancee can drive the L through snow, and I mean a few inches of snow, then anybody can. It has its moments but the L ran a lot better through snow than any stang I've been caught in the snow with.

As far as the mileage thing goes, I think my L has 94k miles on it now and is seriously one of the most reliable vehicles in our fleet of 6 vehicles. I trust the reliability of the L more than our damn Hondas, no joke.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I wouldn't say that 10k is a great nor a bad deal with that amount of mileage. I wouldn't mind buying a higher mileage truck if the price was right [~9k for me personally]. I can not comment on snow, the south closes down as if a nuclear Holocaust just went down when we get flurries.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
In light snow the performance tires will do, but only if you can keep your foot out of it (no boost for sure). Anything more and you will need a set of snow tires.

As far as the price goes, that depends on where you live and what you feel is a good deal. In the end, as long as you are happy who cares how much you spend on it. If you can swing it, I would look for a 03 or 04 if I were you, for the spark plug thread advantage alone....

driven to build

Established Member
Two-parter today. What started as a search for a cheap 4x4 F150 has momentarily morphed into considering a cheap 00 Lightning. Has a 101k miles on it for $10k.

We get a fair amount of snow around here though, so is this truck even remotely capable in the winter and how bad do you think it has been ragged on?

Sent you a PM

san-man

Established Member
Driving a couple of days on some worn out F1 was a little weird on ice. I figure with some decent snow tires it should not be to bad.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Snow tires or even just a set of narrow all season tires and they do fine if you can drive. A few inches of wet snow does make it difficult on the stock tires but ice and packed snow are no problem even for the F-1s or Hankooks.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
i don't know about everyone else... but my truck even with snow tires on stock f-150 rims and weight in the rear was bad enough I got a beater chevy cavalier to drive in the winter

203Cree

Established Member
I drove mine in the snow with the Kook's on it for quite awhile, with little to no trouble. Just gotta know how to do it. Second gear is your friend.

I mean really, it's just a F150. Slap on some blizzaks and stay outta boost.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I drove mine last winter with the Hankooks. Just stay out of the boost and you'll be fine. Leaving red lights on an incline were the only challenge with those tires, but the truck "handled" excellent at speed. I'm putting some winter tires on it this year. But you'll be fine if you can drive.

skipthedrummer

Established Member
I can not comment on snow, the south closes down as if a nuclear Holocaust just went down when we get flurries.

Aint it the truth man.

Buy your bread and milk. Quick...before the 2 inches of snow renders us all immobile. It's not like half of the cars I see everyday and 4 wheel drive trucks...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread