how bad does this look?

michael kellam

Established Member
few nights ago a semi blew a tire and i was fortunate enough have no place to go but drive over the retread. this is the only real damage i could find other then the chin spoiler and bumper cover:

10semf5.jpg

its not leaking. and is barely visible from the front of the car. Does anyone think will be an issue?

TOB - thanks again for helping me sort out the car the other day.

Mike

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've bent fins back in shape with a radiator fin straightening tool. It won't be perfect, but it will flow air.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. In the same spot, too! I examined it, and the damage looked pretty much just like yours. Nothing was broken or leaking, so I left it alone. Not one problem out of it in all these years. You'll be fine.

michael kellam

Established Member
Was a police accident report filed or did you get info from the tractor trailer company? If so I'd ask them to repair anything that was messed up.

i was so angry i failed to gather information. felt like i got punched in the stomach. thank you for the replies guys. anyone have an idea on this fix?

azfp0m.jpg

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
If you can't repair it you can buy a used stock or a performance aftermarket radiator. I just had an C&R radiator installed in my 08. Not sure what year yours is but I'd sell you mine cheap if you want. I wasn't planning on selling it but if you want it I will.

Coonsnake

Established Member
i was so angry i failed to gather information. felt like i got punched in the stomach. thank you for the replies guys. anyone have an idea on this fix?

azfp0m.jpg

I would pick up some aluminum flat bar from local hardware store. Make it about 2-3 inches longer than the tear then use it as a backing plate for the mounting bolt. Basically sandwich the torn part

michael kellam

Established Member
i wish i could have made a claim but i missed all of the vital information points from the truck. in any case as it work on the car it really starting to get back into shape.

michael kellam

Established Member
I would pick up some aluminum flat bar from local hardware store. Make it about 2-3 inches longer than the tear then use it as a backing plate for the mounting bolt. Basically sandwich the torn part

this is a good idea and probably what i will end up doing. i was also thinking JB quick to "weld" the plastic back together. lucky for us ford went and did a good job on the chin spoiler (as far as its rigidity) so while bolted in place will also add strength to the repair.

at the end i think i will also drill a couple holes in the splitter and the cover around the cracked areas to even further the repair. after that, re stripe the lower section, wetsand and buff a few areas. wax and repeat a few time to bring the shine back then use Dr. color chip in a few areas and i SHOULD be good to go.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I didn't know you ripped your bumper cover. Other than some scuffs on the splitter, mine was relatively undamaged. My car wasn't lowered at the time, either, though. If it had been lowered to where it is now, the damage would've probably been substantial.

Anyway, if you don't want to piecemeal a repair together, I believe a replacement bumper cover is pretty cheap for these cars. Something like $200, IIRC. Getting it painted and replacing your stripes is where it will get pricey. You could always take it to a body shop and have them patch it up. They can probably do it on the cheap. Worst case scenario, try to find some ABS plastic glue and go to town on it.

klcmcse

Established Member
you might be able to straighten the fins from behind, the paint shop might be able to fix the bumper cover or hook you up with a reman and paint to match. depending on your insurance you might swing a fluidyne radiator with a few bucks and get a painted bumper cover to get it all back together. GL with your situation....
Got any extra parts for sale???
Tnak you,
Kevin

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about the fins, it's that hard crimp in the tube that could be an issue. Keep your eye on it for weeping, or better yet, pressurize the system, let it sit overnight, and check for any leakage. You can get the tool from Autozone.

KRS

Established Member
i wish i could have made a claim but i missed all of the vital information points from the truck. in any case as it work on the car it really starting to get back into shape.

Did you try calling your insurance company, it should be a comprehensive claim and you don't need the other vehicle/driver information. Not unlike something hitting your windshield or hitting an animal.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Fins are just fins, the core is whats important and it doesnt look split open. adjust fins as bet you can and call it a day. Sucks, but at least you're insured.

Users who are viewing this thread