How bad do you think it will be....

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Not going into the hole story but my #4 spark plug decided to make his presents known. The #4 plug popped out (Really F'ed up my threads) and I had to drive it 50 miles home. (Took out the rest of the plug and unpluged the injector). What do you think I will find when I replace the head?
Do you think the block if F'ed up?

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Any reputable shop will have a bore scope to look for cylinder/ piston damage. The threads can be fixed on the car with timesert kit. Then have a compression / leakdown test done to check the motor.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Any reputable shop will have a bore scope to look for cylinder/ piston damage. The threads can be fixed on the car with timesert kit. Then have a compression / leakdown test done to check the motor.

I agree. You do not have to replace the head.Find a good shop to fix it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Not going into the hole story but my #4 spark plug decided to make his presents known. The #4 plug popped out (Really F'ed up my threads) and I had to drive it 50 miles home. (Took out the rest of the plug and unpluged the injector). What do you think I will find when I replace the head?
Do you think the block if F'ed up?

More info, plugs, tq spec?, did you change the plugs recently?, WOT?

Sorry to hear. I don't have the 9 threads on mine either but I check the plugs every oil change and thankfully have never found one loose. Hopefully you have no piston damage. Hopefully I'm never posting about this. Thats a tough break.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
It was at WOT. BOOM a puff of Black smoke. The shop I sent the car to did a shitty job. Now since I opened my own shop I will be doing the timeserts. I talked to them for about 1 hour and Im ordering the kit for my car to do the FULL threads. I will also have the kit to do others too. My drivers side head was replaced in 2004 for the tick. It has the 9 threads. I will keep you guys posted!

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
man my just did the samething sunday, i def- feel ya, strip out bad, dose anybody know the deal about the 03-ford head recall? to late? how do u know if u have the heads?

04CobraMatt

Established Member
man my just did the samething sunday, i def- feel ya, strip out bad, dose anybody know the deal about the 03-ford head recall? to late? how do u know if u have the heads?

was never a recal, only a TSB and for a ticking noise, not blowing plugs. So, no warranty no luck :(

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
we use ford especific heli coil kits that we buy from snap on at my shop lots of f150's abd expeditions do this and we have never had a problem

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
we use ford especific heli coil kits that we buy from snap on at my shop lots of f150's abd expeditions do this and we have never had a problem

Yeah but they are not pushing 21psi! Heli coil will not hold!
The shop was told (By me) to fix the 4 thread in my head (The drivers side was replaced a long time ago) They only heli coiled it. That is not the right way to do it for the Cobra's.
I will be fixing it the right way by TimeSerting it the full threads!
I will be doing them here at my shop and I will post up what it will cost to do!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread