How are your spark/timing tables set up and why?

HPLouis

Established Member
I’m in the process of retuning this car I’ve run across spark/timing tables set up two different ways and I’m trying to figure out why each one is set up the way it is and which one is better.

The first one is how it is stock. As you can see, the timing climbs up with rpms
IMG_4297.JPG

The second one has spark timing locked at the top two rows from 3500 and up (WOT)
IMG_4296.JPG

I’ve seen a lot of tables set up the first way, like how it is from stock. Even the books I’ve read have the timing set up this way.

I haven’t seen much set up like the second way but when I do see it, it’s usually the top two rows and it can start from 3500 or 4000rpms and the timing is locked all the way through WOT.

Does anyone know why someone would choose one over the other and which is better? Is one set up for torque and the other for power?

Thanks

HPLouis

Established Member
What car and setup?
The basic bolt on Terminator. I've had two with the pulley/intake/exhaust/tune set up and the third one has a ported blower/60lbs injectors/BAP/SCT MAF in addition to the normal bolt ons and all three had different timing set ups. I never had them all at the same time so I wasn't able to do a dyno comparison between the three.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have no input on the timing just thinking it would be good info.

My only thought is the timing comes in quicker to help with low end torque and power under the curve. It can only take so much timing so it’s probably hitting the max your tuner is comfortable with based on the mods and platform and so it naturally plateaus due to the limit your tuner is comfortable with. I could be way off and I’ll delete it if I’m spewing hate speech/disinformation.

HPLouis

Established Member
I have no input on the timing just thinking it would be good info.

My only thought is the timing comes in quicker to help with low end torque and power under the curve. It can only take so much timing so it’s probably hitting the max your tuner is comfortable with based on the mods and platform and so it naturally plateaus due to the limit your tuner is comfortable with. I could be way off and I’ll delete it if I’m spewing hate speech/disinformation.
Thank you for your input and you make a good point. I'm curious too as to why the different approaches to timing. Is one better? Is one for safety? I actually have the MTF files from 3 different tuners for each of my cars and I'm using them all to work on building my own tune with the SCT PRP. Two lock the timing and the third one has the climbing table (but climbing is how Ford does it and it's more common than the locked one)

Is the locked timing table for more low end power and torque? Is climbing timing table for more top end power? Your post brings up a good point

HPLouis

Established Member
Here are the two tables I’m trying our right now:

Locked:
IMG_4300.JPG

Climbing:
IMG_4298.JPG

My car’s load stops at 1.66 so I don’t hit the top row. I am tuning on the street and my butt dyno isn’t calibrated well enough to tell the difference between a degree or two of timing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread