How are GT500's allocated to dealers ?

Cobra 2997

Established Member
How do dealers get allocated for 2012 GT500's ?? Is it based on previous years Mustang sales for that particular dealer (share of nation or lottery) ?? Or is there some other criteria ?? Presidents Award, etc ??

A local dealer near me has 4 2012 GT500's in stock, yet most surrounding dealers might have 1 at the most. Can any dealer just order or is it based on allocations per quarter similar to the Boss 302's ??

I've contacted a couple dealers about ordering the specific color & options I want/don't want and I never really recieve what I would think is an intelligent response. Seems they try to push whatever is on their lot, which is nowhere near what I'm looking for. Not interested in a V6 convertible !!!

Sorry for all the questions !! Just trying to understand the process a little better....

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
allocation is based on several factors..." turn and earn " which means sell more stangs
and you can get more of an allocation. " share /nation" is somewhat similiar but set
up on sales of stangs and regions etc. Sometimes dealers actually will buy a car from
a dealer who wants to move it off their floorplan. Ordering lately can be a major mind ****, the units are taking way too long based on many known and unknown factors.
You can ask a local dealer if he actually has or can get an allocation? If yes..order
the car...put priority 10 on the unit and ask the dealer to speak again with their Ford
rep. to get the order pulled and scheduled....take care..it's a nice car

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered a 2012 GT500 a couple months ago and the dealer was notified that it was being "submitted to plant" last Friday. Can anyone give me an idea how much longer the process takes? Once it's submitted to plant, how long does it usually take to get assigned a build date? Dealer is thinking the car would arrive sometime in August, but it's only speculation on his part. Any insight would be appreciated.

Shakes

Established Member
put priority 10 on the unit and ask the dealer to speak again with their Ford
rep. to get the order pulled and scheduled....take care..it's a nice car

How exactly does that work?

I only ask because I've brought up several things to the dealer they didn't know about. What exactly would I say to the dealer to get this done?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Good luck, when i tried to order mine they could barely get the correct codes in for the build. The salesman didn't know shit, I knew more about the car and it's options than he did. This is the general situation at dealerships from most people I've talked with. These places are used to putting orders in a bank that get picked up whenever and get delivered??? Who knows. Your best bet on getting a good deal would be finding one that's been sitting at the dealer for a while that they will let go without bending you over the hood. It's hard to find one in the color and options you want but a much better situation if you can find one.

03Bite

Established Member
Good luck with finding out when its coming! I ordered mine in March and two months later it was still on material hold. Ford customer service could find any info on it so I found one on a lot that had what I wanted so I canceled my order and bought the other one. I paid 200.00 over dealer invoice. Best of luck in your search.

Shakes

Established Member
Good luck with finding out when its coming! I ordered mine in March and two months later it was still on material hold. Ford customer service could find any info on it so I found one on a lot that had what I wanted so I canceled my order and bought the other one. I paid 200.00 over dealer invoice. Best of luck in your search.

Did you have to eat the deposit?

03Bite

Established Member
No the dealer refunded my money. I used my credit card as a deposit so they just credited it back. Good luck.

frydguy79

Established Member
How do dealers get allocated for 2012 GT500's ?? Is it based on previous years Mustang sales for that particular dealer (share of nation or lottery) ?? Or is there some other criteria ?? Presidents Award, etc ??

A local dealer near me has 4 2012 GT500's in stock, yet most surrounding dealers might have 1 at the most. Can any dealer just order or is it based on allocations per quarter similar to the Boss 302's ??

I've contacted a couple dealers about ordering the specific color & options I want/don't want and I never really recieve what I would think is an intelligent response. Seems they try to push whatever is on their lot, which is nowhere near what I'm looking for. Not interested in a V6 convertible !!!

Sorry for all the questions !! Just trying to understand the process a little better....

1st any dealer that wants to order them has to sign up and pay 1000 per year to be able to order them,, and after that it is supposed to be based on share of the nation on how many they get,, most small or select dealers only get 1 per year to order,, and the bigger dealers might get lot's more and Ford schedules them when they see fit,,,, big dealers 1st

i buy quite a few of them off the smaller dealers to build my share of the nation numbers,,,, i have 3 2012's in stock now and more i can get

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread