How AirAid Should have done it!

Tyler72

Established Member
So... posting this here instead of the Boss section simply because it applies to GT and Boss cars with an AirAid cold air intake. As some of you may have seen, I dyno tested the intake on my 2013 Boss and it actually picked up gains similar to their claims. I picked up 12RWHP and 8 ft lbs of torque where they claim 11 and 11, which might be true on a GT. So, its definitely a good mod if you don't want to tune the car (gains were with no other mods).

Unfortunately, like most things, there was a downside. On the 2013-2014 models, the heat extraction hood causes water to run right onto the filter if it rains or when you wash it. AirAid will send you a rain guard free of charge if you have a 2013-2014 car, but in my opinion, it looks like crap.

I decided to have a little fun with mine and modify it to make it look better! :rockon:

This is how they should come:

IMAG0740_zpsba596828.jpg

IMAG0741_zps795b26d4.jpg

The top and bottom 3 bolt holes are technically already in the shield. You just have to knock them out. I drilled the 2 side bolt holes myself, and after some careful measuring and marking, I very carefully drilled the corners out with a 1/2" drill bit. I then connected the holes with a cut-off wheel on a grinder and smoothed everything with a small die grinder and a burr bit. I then cut out and fit up a piece of 1/16" Lexan to the backside and drilled holes in it to match up to the ones in the aluminum shield. After I knew everything was going to work correctly, I sent the shield out to be powder coated in matte black. After I got it back, I put a small bead of RTV around the edge of the lexan on the outside of the bolts to help keep it from oozing towards the inside where it might be visible, and then bolted it to the shield using 10-24x1/2" stainless button head screws with nylock nuts. Sheild was done and ready for installation. Now... the real issue I had was that the templates they send to use as a drill guide on the airbox really don't work so well. Even without my mods, the holes in the rear of the box are too low, which causes the shield to sit too low and the filter won't fit correctly. I discovered this after I already drilled the holes, so I had to drill another set about 3/4" higher. The hole that goes next to the inlet tube fits fine in their location. My only other complaint about the shield was that the bolts they send are too short. They send 4 bolts and 4 washers and the bolts are so short that they really only have about 3 threads on them. If you use the washers, you only get about a half thread started on the shield, and it will easily strip out with barely any torque on the bolt. I found this out the hard way. I ended up ditching the washers and just using the bolts, and that allows you to get enough threads to tighten it up without stripping.

I honestly like the look without the shield better, but the rain issue was always nerve racking. I had to do something about it lol, and in my opinion this looks a lot cooler than just the plain old boring aluminum that they send you.

:beer:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
70 views and no comments???

Does it look bad? Lol.

Sorry man, I don't think it looks that great, but, you did a great job regardless. It could look far far worse. Also since your hood is shut 90% of the time, better have something practical than something that looks perfect.

Not having a 13-14 with the open hood so I can't say 100% how i'd feel if it were my ride, but a guy I know has the cover for his CAI that goes and covers up part of the hood vent, and besides the fact he paid like $20 for something he could have made for $5 it really doesn't look that bad.

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
Lol, how would that work? You couldn't drive the car like that.

I agree that it looks 100% better without the cover on it. But unfortunately I have gotten caught in the rain 3 times with it accidentally. One time it was raining so hard that apparently the MAF got wet and the car absolutely would not run. I had to pull over at a gas station and wait an hour for it to quit raining and it finally dried out enough to start and run ok again. I have the oil free filter so it's just cotton. Since there is no oil, there's nothing to repel the water at all.

Oh well, better than this:
http://forums.themustangsource.com/...21d1349531787t-airaid-fix-2013-cai-airaid.jpg

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
Honestly... really wish I could have left it alone. The system looks awesome without a cover, but I was highly concerned to drive the car since this time of year generally means afternoon thunder showers. After the first rain incident, I couldn't let that happen again. For what it is, I think it looks as good as it possibly could, although I do agree that it looks far better without it.

Oh well lol. :shrug:

Tyler72

Established Member

I didn't even know that existed lol. But does it really work? I mean, how does that seal? The bad thing is that the way the hood liner is made, it actually directs water towards the front of the car and onto the filter. Wouldn't that plug just cause water to build up in the vent? Assuming it does actually "seal"...

Anybody got one that can verify it keeps the filter 100% dry even during hard rains sitting still?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I didn't even know that existed lol. But does it really work? I mean, how does that seal? The bad thing is that the way the hood liner is made, it actually directs water towards the front of the car and onto the filter. Wouldn't that plug just cause water to build up in the vent? Assuming it does actually "seal"...

Anybody got one that can verify it keeps the filter 100% dry even during hard rains sitting still?

my buddy uses that with his open CAI, his stays dry. Per JLT the section that water would build up in is small, so driving forward would push the water out. Or you can open the hood, etc.

they claim it is made a tad bigger than the spot it goes in, so it squeezes in nice and tight and the foam used doesn't hold water.

here is JLT's post on here about it. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...354/894166-jlts-2013-hood-vent-water-fix.html

Nuar

Established Member
Oh and I also have the JLT plug. It works great :)Ive driven through some SERIOUS storms where i was worried my car might not make it through the water on the road without flooding and the water accumulated within 30 mins it rained that bad.
The plug worked :)

Tyler72

Established Member
It is definitely professional... I am a fabricator/mechanic by trade so I do a lot of custom automotive parts. Everything from stuff as simple as this to full on tube chassis fabrication. So maybe the pics don't do it justice. But as far as quality, its perfect. I just think it looks a tad bit tacky. I'm still happy with my solution though!

FreddieG

Established Member
I think it looks good and it should function really well...I wish AirRaid would have done a better design. I had the same problem with rain coming in and causing my car not to run for about a couple of hours. I had to tear the MAF all down and dry it out. I got the heat extractor plugs so we will see how those work...wish they were a little tighter....better fit.

Deranged2013

Established Member
The JLT hood vent plug works great. Used it on my GT with Steeda Intake and never had a problem. BTW, can you post the before and after dyno sheet and did this install affect your A/F ratios?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The hood vents were actually designed to help relieve some heat from under the hood, believe it or not. I cut away the carpet to open the vents up completely, allowing more air to come out when sitting still.

I know that the JLT intake is badass, I just am not a fan of open intake anymore, especially since the "inlet" in located in the grill nowadays, making an open filter pointless when the hood is closed.

That is the reason I purchased the K&N intake.

Users who are viewing this thread