How accurate is Black book on a trade in

Kenneth

Established Member
Looking to trade in my wife's 2011 Explorer limited this week for a 2015 Explorer sport.
Did a black book trade and came up with between 20-24K on the 2011.

Does that sound reasonable?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the Black book is what they use so it is withing a few hundred 99% of the time

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Are you talking the NADA black book? I don't think it matters what it says, a dealer will screw you either way.

I tried to trade in my WRX at carmax and a dealer. It was a 2012 hatchback, fully loaded, 27k miles and barely a year old. Black book on that car NOW for a clean trade-in is $24,450 (over a year after I sold it). Dealerships offered me $21k and wouldn't go a penny higher.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
while this may certainly be the case, knowing what the black book value is BEFORE you go into the dealer only gives you leverage so you can tell if he is screwing you and you can decide if you want to be screwed by that much

Are you talking the NADA black book? I don't think it matters what it says, a dealer will screw you either way.

I tried to trade in my WRX at carmax and a dealer. It was a 2012 hatchback, fully loaded, 27k miles and barely a year old. Black book on that car NOW for a clean trade-in is $24,450 (over a year after I sold it). Dealerships offered me $21k and wouldn't go a penny higher.

SirShaun

Established Member
Dealership going to screw you. Most likely you will be taking both cars home. It's what happened to me.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
dealers use many ways to determine value. black book is not really one of those. its rare atleast to determine a value of a vehicle based on black book. normally that is used to determine a value to the banks...

I use a combination of galves, auction reports and nada clean trade in value.

if you have a nice limited v6 awd that has normal mileage (around 36K) and it doesnt need tires, brakes, it has current good inspection. you should be somewhere between 24-26K on trade depending on your cars options, mileage and condition.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
interesting. they probably changed it when the black book became available to us common folk. Most of the dealers I have dealt with (DC area mainly) always went by the black book. that was the sole purpose NADA making it

dealers use many ways to determine value. black book is not really one of those. its rare atleast to determine a value of a vehicle based on black book. normally that is used to determine a value to the banks...

I use a combination of galves, auction reports and nada clean trade in value.

if you have a nice limited v6 awd that has normal mileage (around 36K) and it doesnt need tires, brakes, it has current good inspection. you should be somewhere between 24-26K on trade depending on your cars options, mileage and condition.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
interesting. they probably changed it when the black book became available to us common folk. Most of the dealers I have dealt with (DC area mainly) always went by the black book. that was the sole purpose NADA making it

I agree, I remember when the black book came out online, people always said it was more reliable than KBB. But like I said, dealers will just scam you out of your money no matter what. They were telling me their trade-in offer was based on auction prices and local dealership prices, which was lying through their teeth because I had seen a couple for sale online that were going for $5k more than they offered me. Plus, everyone knows how well Subarus, especially WRX's, hold their value.

mrlrd1

Established Member
manheim is ONE tool of many. it is not the only tool black book, nada are also used. it depends on the dealer

NADA and KBB values are weighted on Manheim more heavily than any other factor. Any dealer not using Manheim for trade-in is a fool.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
NADA and KBB values are weighted on Manheim more heavily than any other factor. Any dealer not using Manheim for trade-in is a fool.

I agree.

I bought an 06 H3 when they first came out and only kept it for about 8 months. When I traded it in the dealer had to call auction houses to see what they were going for, i'm sure Manheim was one of them.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking to trade in my wife's 2011 Explorer limited this week for a 2015 Explorer sport.
Did a black book trade and came up with between 20-24K on the 2011.

Does that sound reasonable?

How many miles? We just bought a used 2011 Limited 4WD over the weekend with 60,000 miles. We paid $25,000 from a dealer.

Kenneth

Established Member
How many miles? We just bought a used 2011 Limited 4WD over the weekend with 60,000 miles. We paid $25,000 from a dealer.

2011 Explorer Limited
55K miles
Loaded
moonroof
Nav.
Sony radio
Blind spot monitoring
Adaptive cruise control
heated/cooled seats

Loaded except for the Entertainment system.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Dealers have always based on auction around here, those colored books usually mean nothing to dealers.

Kenneth

Established Member
Update:
Just getting back from the dealer, they offered 22K for wife's Explorer.

They only have 1 Explorer sport on the lot right now (Black) but they have a few in transit.
Put deposit down on a Magnetic Explorer sport, loaded minus entertainment, right now it shows truck left the assembly plant in on the 24th via railcar, guessing it should be in mid/end next week.

Dealer also gave us a pretty good deal on the new truck.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ive always checked to see what other dealers are selling an equivalent vehicle (trim, mileage, etc) and take $5k off that.

For example, my Fusion. I have seen dealers selling SE's in great condition with high mileage (120k at this point) for around $10k. Ford offered me $5k without even seeing the car based on my description (135k, great exterior, great interior, etc because I take care of my cars). I know they will spend $1k or thereabouts on "refreshing" it, doing their "detailing", probably new tires at their cost, and after going through it, marketing it, sitting it on the lot, they will probably get $9k for that and after overhead and costs and such they will make $2k on me. Thats what I estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread