How accurate is a GPS's MPH in comparison to a calibrated radar gun?

StangJason

Established Member
My Mustang reads equal to my GPS but my Civic reads slower than my GPS. When I drive by standing radar signs showing the mph I get mixed results.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
My Mustang reads equal to my GPS but my Civic reads slower than my GPS. When I drive by standing radar signs showing the mph I get mixed results.

Should be within 3mph +/-

Just a guess though.

Planter

Banned

prostkr

Established Member
My truck is 3mph off on gps and our local radar signs. My 48 is 45 on the dot. My tires are getting down on tread is my thought for the difference. I have not had the pleasure of comparing it to an officers hand held to see what they would say. I gave up the speeding/pushing the limit game a long time ago.

I would assume the signs are just a deterrent and not really an enforceable calibrated speed measuring unit, so take those results with a grain of salt. Id rely on the gps.

StangJason

Established Member
logic would tell me then that your civic's speedometer is off.

how far off is it? 1 mph? 2 mph? 3 mph? 5 mph?

how GPS speed is calculated
gpsspeed

GPS Technology

how a radar gun works
http://www.sportsradargun.com/pdf/SR3600 INSTRUCTIONS rev3.pdf

Yeah I figured my Civic's speedometer is off. At 70mph I'm doing about 67mph, at 75mph I'm doing about 71mph, and at 80mph I'm doing about 75mph according to my GPS. I've seen side of the road radar displays that just confused me more by clocking me closer to the speed limit. I have the correct size tires but it looks like my speedo reads way too fast.

Judging from my Mustangs speedo my GPS is perfect up to just about any speed.

Oh I do compensate for the GPS to satellite delay mostly by keeping steady speeds.

prostkr

Established Member
I would think going 20 highway miles with the cruise set will get you a very close average. You can also get a speed app for your phone and give yourself a second gps comparison is you have a smart phone.

prostkr

Established Member
I also think you can google the civics speedometer and find that there unit of measurement (a mile) is a bit different than ours showing you they are all off a bit like you describe.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I recently rented a 2011 Cadillac STS and the speedometer in that beast was almost 7 MPH slower than what my GPS indicated. Never seen an OEM speedo so far off at 70MPH. Maybe it's GM's new method of meeting CAFE requirements?

U.M.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Yeah I figured my Civic's speedometer is off. At 70mph I'm doing about 67mph, at 75mph I'm doing about 71mph, and at 80mph I'm doing about 75mph according to my GPS. I've seen side of the road radar displays that just confused me more by clocking me closer to the speed limit. I have the correct size tires but it looks like my speedo reads way too fast.

Judging from my Mustangs speedo my GPS is perfect up to just about any speed.

Oh I do compensate for the GPS to satellite delay mostly by keeping steady speeds.

Sell that speedo setup to a ricer, they'll appreciate it!

EDIT: Whoops, sorry guys. Didn't look at the dates. Just found it on the first page here.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
GPS are as good as the device and the satellite signal, just like a radar unit. Our guns go back to the manufacturer when they are out of calibration by 1 mph +/- .

I would trust the radar unit over the gps, simply because the source is local and not coming from the satellite so it should be stronger and less prone to interference also it will be more responsive as well to quick changes.

StangJason

Established Member
Sell that speedo setup to a ricer, they'll appreciate it!

EDIT: Whoops, sorry guys. Didn't look at the dates. Just found it on the first page here.

I'm not sure what you mean but I choose to drive my Civic 78 miles a day to keep from puttin those miles on my Mustang. I will admit I'm ready for a new ricer to put all my miiles on though.

As exact as my Mustangs speedo is to my GPS I have to think my Civic's speedo is the one that's wrong.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've found that by going into the digital test readout on my Cobra, that it's VERY accurate when compared to my GPS, but the dash speedometer (which is a mechanical readout of that digital signal) is about 2-3 mph fast. I've read that manufactuers do this on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread