House Broken Into!!!

TommyPizza

Established Member
My house was broken into Monday night after i fell asleep. The guy took my tv, ps3 and games, and dvds. Also, the guy took my girls purse that had her credit cards. The cops arrested the guy Wednesday night and it was posted in the paper Thursday morning. Now my question is, Is there any way I can get my things back that this guy took from my house and if he sold the items is there anyway of me getting reimbursed for them?

Also, I am looking to buy a gun for protection in my house and was wondering on any suggestions on which gun to get. I did not wake up this time, but i dont know what would have happened if did. I will also be carrying the gun since I am in the process of getting my concealed weapons permit.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very scary, glad he did not do anything else to you.

Couple things: whatever he took and still had at time of arrest, you can eventually get them back with proof of ownership.

as far as the stuff he probably sold, you might be able to make an insurance claim ( home) because of the break in (depends on your policy) or sue him in civil court. Gun for home protection? at least a 9mm or a shotgun ( little aim required, big effect) I would get an alarm for your house and reevaluate your locking mechanisms on your windows and doors.

Finally, do not carry a gun until you have the actual permit in your hands. Be sure to follow through on charges so he gets what he deserves. Good luck

TommyPizza

Established Member
I already called ADT and they will be coming next week to install the system. Also,my renters insurance will not cover it because I didnt not report and picture all my things before the incident. He didnt even attempt to come upstairs. I still have not been contacted by the detective on the case. I found out he was arrested because my neighbor read it in the paper.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Somebody broke into your house while you were sleep, took all the above items and lefted without you even knowing? You must be a deep sleeper, I wake up to the smallest thing. I'm actually looking to buy a gun now also I'm going with a glock 19 you just never know and I want to be prepared for if it does, on the plus side at least no one was injured.

oldmodman

Established Member
I got a few of those "screamers" that you can hang on door knobs.

I'm always worried that I won't wake up either.

Generally, when the police recover any credit cards they notify the card companies and have them cancelled (at least they do here in Los Angeles). So your girlfriend will have to get new ones. And sometime the police will notify all three credit companies and have a fraud alert placed on you SS#
You might want to see if they did and put them on yourself if they did not.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
That sucks...has happened to me a couple of times. One time they caught the perp ( career criminal), the other time they didn't.

Some tips:

1. Take pictures of all valuables and email them to yourself or upload them to the web. Actual items, brochures, remotes, etc. can all be used to show proof of ownership.

2. Keep an inventory file with all pertinent info on your electronics (make/model/serial), makes it easier when filling out the police report.

3. If you have any jewelry, make sure your policy covers it. Most homeowners policy's only cover up to a set amount (mine was $1000)

4. CD/DVD's/games: If you keep them in a "binder/holder" make sure you've got pictures of all the cases. I made it real easy the first time I was broken into, thief walked out with my binder, that were sitting on my coffee table. 300+ CD's, 80+ DVD's, and countless other video games.

As far as alarms go, I went with a system I pieced together from alarm.com Uses a cellular reception to communicate, so no phone line needed and all sensors are wireless. Made install a breeze. Mine is monitored by frontpoint security and they respond very quickly whenever it does go off.

As far as a firearm, make sure whatever you get, you are comfortable with it and can shoot it well. Practice, practice, practice. I've got a .45 in my nightstand safe and a shotgun in the closet. :thumbsup:

TommyPizza

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys, I am definitely going to start taking pictures of all my items and receipts. I heard to do this from another guy also bc he got screwed when his house got broken into. My girl friend froze all her accounts when we woke up in the morning. O, and I am a very heavy sleeper. As for gun wise, I went shooting the other day and shot a 9mm and a 40. As a beginner the 9 was a lot easier to shoot but the 40 felt more comfortable to me.

apflug3

Established Member
I already called ADT and they will be coming next week to install the system. Also,my renters insurance will not cover it because I didnt not report and picture all my things before the incident. He didnt even attempt to come upstairs. I still have not been contacted by the detective on the case. I found out he was arrested because my neighbor read it in the paper.

I run a fairly large alarm company here in Chicago and have been in the business for many years....do not use ADT they are a joke find a local company. It also sounds like your renting ADT will require a three year contract for monitoring at a very high rate that will take an act of congress to get out of early or you will have to pay 90% of the recurring revenue left on the contract. PM what your looking for and prices you have already got if you want and i will tell you if that is a legitimate deal.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Go buy a Glock 19, 5k rounds of ammunition and find a good training class. Check the posted training section on M4Carbine.net.

JC_SapphireBlue_GT

Established Member
very scary, glad you and your girlfriend are okay.
I'd suggest getting the FNX-9, very user friendly, it is my first handgun and it is perfect
Have not had one FTF or FTE (failure to feed/eject)

gun is as accurate as the person shooting, very low recoil and a good price for a spectacular gun that is very underrated.

DRAGUL

Established Member
Sorry this happened to you, but the main thing is you were safe. I have a alarm for this very reason. As for protection I own hand guns, but my choice for home protection is a shotgun. At least with a shotgun you do not have to worry about the bullet traveling through multiple walls and hitting someone you did not intend to hit.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
House unlocked it sounds like? I have these on the doors.

360004101_md.jpg

16yroldcobraboy

Established Member
I consider myself a gun junky, but, before you go gung ho on a gun, make sure you are prepared, id be willing to bet that, more owners are killed with there guns each year by someone breaking in and using it then the owner on the person, honestly, someone breaking in. a bat will do plenty of damage....coming from LE background, its not just point and shoot in the moment. can be very stressful, i caught someone breaking into my car, chased them down and we had a "scuffle" if you wanna call it that. long story short, from what did happen the da TRYED to prosecute my for assault. honestly, get a dog:D lol and or leave a light on, it deters people unless you live in the hood.

11bangbang

Established Member
Sorry this happened to you, but the main thing is you were safe. I have a alarm for this very reason. As for protection I own hand guns, but my choice for home protection is a shotgun. At least with a shotgun you do not have to worry about the bullet traveling through multiple walls and hitting someone you did not intend to hit.
Unless you are using birdshot, this is 100% inaccurate.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
At least with a shotgun you do not have to worry about the bullet traveling through multiple walls and hitting someone you did not intend to hit.

I use a AR-15 as my house weapon so I won't even have to get out of bed.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
I consider myself a gun junky, but, before you go gung ho on a gun, make sure you are prepared, id be willing to bet that, more owners are killed with there guns each year by someone breaking in and using it then the owner on the person, honestly, someone breaking in. a bat will do plenty of damage....coming from LE background, its not just point and shoot in the moment. can be very stressful, i caught someone breaking into my car, chased them down and we had a "scuffle" if you wanna call it that. long story short, from what did happen the da TRYED to prosecute my for assault. honestly, get a dog:D lol and or leave a light on, it deters people unless you live in the hood.

While I agreet that careful and serious contemplation is necessary before acquiring a deadly weapon, you are not more likely to be overpowered and killed with your own gun than to use it on someone else. Still, when you add in accidents a member of your house is more likely to be killed than an attacker. The shooting sports are still very safe, safer than swimming or basketball, but having a gun comes with massive duties to safeguard it from unauthorized access.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
If you as worried as I am about over penetration you should look into pre fragmented ammo.
I prefer MagSafe. I have it in 380, 9mm, 45acp, 223, and 308.
It was the stand out performer in the live goat Strasbourg tests.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...u9mYWeLHK_aIWimYw&sig2=CVB0psUZyML2qvyC1Tboug

Under penetrates consistently. As Patrick Urey noted, more policemen [and by correlation, civilians] have been killed by under penetrating bullets than over penetrating ones.

Users who are viewing this thread