Hotter spark plugs ok?

WaffleMan

Established Member
My car was tuned with ngk br7ef plugs, 1 heat range colder than tr6. Think it'd be ok to run the tr6? Only making 13psi, mods in sig

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Subscribing in hopes of learning a bit more. Based on how my TR6s looked, I'm swapping to TR7s.

WaffleMan

Established Member
Subscribing in hopes of learning a bit more. Based on how my TR6s looked, I'm swapping to TR7s.

I think you'd be perfectly fine going colder, I'm just worried about detonation since I want to go a step hotter from what I was tuned on

WaffleMan

Established Member
Kinda stumbles and misses at idle, tuner said it was the nature of the plug and that all the cars he puts them in does that, just wanted to get rid of it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Proper heat range plugs should be cocoa brown. If they are light tan then the heat range is too hot. Not good for detonation reasons.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would think tr6's would be ok for you. Plenty of us at 17-19lbs running them still. You should hear my car at idle, my exhaust pops quite a bit. IMO it sounds kind of cool, and my tuner said it's because of my tight gap at .028

EDIT: what gap do you have your plugs at?

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
I would think tr6's would be ok for you. Plenty of us at 17-19lbs running them still. You should hear my car at idle, my exhaust pops quite a bit. IMO it sounds kind of cool, and my tuner said it's because of my tight gap at .028

EDIT: what gap do you have your plugs at?

I had my br7 at gap they came in out of box which is .026 I think. I've dropped tr6 at .030 in now but haven't ran it yet to see. Might just put the br7 back in with a bigger gap for peace of mind

cj428mach

Established Member
I had my br7 at gap they came in out of box which is .026 I think. I've dropped tr6 at .030 in now but haven't ran it yet to see. Might just put the br7 back in with a bigger gap for peace of mind

.026 is probably a little tight for your combo.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
My car was tuned with ngk br7ef plugs, 1 heat range colder than tr6. Think it'd be ok to run the tr6? Only making 13psi, mods in sig

You will be fine with TR6s. I would suggest gapping .032-.034
While you are under the hood add some boost and really let the fun begin!!

Users who are viewing this thread