hot tub owners I need a little help

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
So I have always wanted a hot tub/spa but didn't want to spend 5 6 7 8 9 thousand $ plus on one. I broke off last week and bought a decent used one on craigslist (08 costco brand I think fits 5-6) its a decent tub. Anyway I got it pro moved and its getting wired up tomorrow. My problem is what do I need to do for chemicals for this thing ? Ive asked 4 different"experts" and got 4 different answers. Do I really need to be a Level 69 Warlock to get it right ? Damn. Thanks for your help/opinions.....in advance.:beer:

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
I think you are over "THINKING" it. There really isnt much to a hot tub other then some Chlorine. Grab a PH balance kit and make sure you are in the right levels off adding the proper chemicals. In retro spec its just a smaller pool that intakes the same chemicals. Have fun, and have lots of sex in it with random women.

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
I think you are over "THINKING" it. There really isnt much to a hot tub other then some Chlorine. Grab a PH balance kit and make sure you are in the right levels off adding the proper chemicals. In retro spec its just a smaller pool that intakes the same chemicals. Have fun, and have lots of sex in it with random women.

Oh, and Jay Cutler is the man, and dont anyone forget it. Bears Superbowl Champs 2013.

Machdup1

Established Member
1. Chlorine or Bromone, test weekly and adjust as needed.
2. PH, test and adjust weekly
3. Shock treatment, weekly.
4. Test Strips.

Enjoy.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Oh, and Jay Cutler is the man, and dont anyone forget it. Bears Superbowl Champs 2013.

LOL. You need to jump in the NFL Offseason thread in Smackdown. We need as many Bears Bros. in there as we can get ! Thank you and Machdup for your responses. I think you're right I'm overthinking it. Using it tonight ! No random broads. (Yet! )

kingnut

Established Member
Keeping the hot tub chemicals in check can be a pain the the ass. The main thing is making sure you can get to the filters easily. You will need to clean those out a lot. The main problem (at least with mine) was drunk people spilling drinks in the hot tub. Also one night we had 6 girls and 3 guys in my jacuzzi that was made to hold 6. I'm surprised my ****ing deck didn't collapse. Next day I had to drain the entire tub and put fresh water in.

I just bought a AquaTera Verona from Costco for $3000 brand new with shipping. Great deal and its dual voltage.

Traveler2

Established Member
10 years in the pool/spa industry, Several reasons spas are alot more effort to balance is the fact that the hot water makes us sweat, folks dont think to shower first and the lotions, perfume, deodorant, ect, pollutes the water hard qnd fast. We love bromine because the fumes easily breakdown and destroy your $300 spa cover as well as the heater elements and keeps the service boys busy.... Use chlorine, ozone, the Natural, or other means to control bacteria.
Clean filters weekly, replace annually if tub is used alot. Budget spas in the 3-5k range dont clean or perform like a high end unit and cost you more to operate due to the heat loss. 220v operation is alot cheaper to run than 110v.
The water will tell you if your maint. is good or not, if it looks and smells/tests good then your GTG.

kingnut

Established Member
10 years in the pool/spa industry, Several reasons spas are alot more effort to balance is the fact that the hot water makes us sweat, folks dont think to shower first and the lotions, perfume, deodorant, ect, pollutes the water hard qnd fast. We love bromine because the fumes easily breakdown and destroy your $300 spa cover as well as the heater elements and keeps the service boys busy.... Use chlorine, ozone, the Natural, or other means to control bacteria.
Clean filters weekly, replace annually if tub is used alot. Budget spas in the 3-5k range dont clean or perform like a high end unit and cost you more to operate due to the heat loss. 220v operation is alot cheaper to run than 110v.
The water will tell you if your maint. is good or not, if it looks and smells/tests good then your GTG.

traveler can you post up a link to the products we should be using with out spas?

mr-proper

Established Member

you don't use chlorine in a hot tub. you need bromine
keep your bromine level between 3-5ppm, PH between 7.2-7.8 ,Alkalinity 80-120ppm calcium hardness 200-600ppm (to prevent scaling and corrosive water). and make sure you drain that sucker every 2-3months!! hot tubs are the worse for getting all kind of crap like Legionnaire disease:kaboom:! a hot tub with 6people in it equals to about 250people in a 16x32 swimming pool with 25.000gallon of water. have fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mr-proper

Established Member

When bromine reacts with wastes in the water it does not lose its ability to sanitize, chlorine does. Basically chlorine reacts with wastes and is dead, leaving behind that chlorine smell and chloramines that can cause skin and eye irritation. Bromine reacts with wastes and turns into bromamines. Bromamines will continue to sanitize after the reacting with wastes and will not have an odor left behind or cause skin or eye irritation.:beer::poke:

Users who are viewing this thread