Hot side coating?

D-MANN

Established Member
Is it worth ceramic coating the hot side or should a guy save the money and just wrap everything with a quality wrap?thoughts on coating stock logs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilmarauder

Established Member
Are the pipes stainless or mild? Coating is definitely worth doing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I went coated down pipes. I was amazed at how cool my engine bay was versus previous non coated builds.

I run a return fuel system and always experienced vapor lock issues on previous builds because of underbody heat near the fuel lines.

After seeing how well the engine bay temps dropped, and spending $180 to have the hot piping coated, I shelled another $620 to have my enter or exhaust (except my resonators which have a factory coating) coated.

I can drive the piss out of my car, back to back freeway pulls from 60-160 and my fuel stays cool, inlet air temps actually drop, engine bay temp is barely more than my work truck (after a decent drive no less), the exhaust itself is cool enough that accidentally touching it won't result in a 1st degree burn, etc.

If you have the money, I recommend it.

I haven't wrapped, or experimented with wrapping. For me, it was an aesthetic choice. I like the industrial/butch look of wrapped piping especially on rat rods and restomods, but for a late model, I like polished/finished/matte looks more.

That said, a nice custom engine bay with wrapped plumbing still looks all the business and badass.

Physically, I'd imagine the wrap works as good or better than coating if done correctly.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Its stainless piping

Coating the pipes will keep the temps down. I would coat all the hot pipes, plus coat and wrap your downpipe.

ceramic coating creates a thermal barrier which helps the pipe cool down faster after use, and it's supposed to protect the pipes from excessive heat. Certain colors of ceramic will have different "heat ratings". Black, titanium colors, and silver's (not polished or chrome) usually have the best rating.

D-MANN

Established Member
I will look into the cost of ceramic coating hot side pipes. I imagine it wont be cheap :/
Whats the proper technique to heat wrapping? Wet the wrap and overlap half a inch of wrap? Seal the wrap with silicone spray after?
Does the coating void the lifetime warranty on hellions piping?

lilmarauder

Established Member
I will look into the cost of ceramic coating hot side pipes. I imagine it wont be cheap :/
Whats the proper technique to heat wrapping? Wet the wrap and overlap half a inch of wrap? Seal the wrap with silicone spray after?
Does the coating void the lifetime warranty on hellions piping?

I haven't used heat wrap yet, my car isn't that far along, but I know it isn't a difficult thing to do.

I can't imagine how ceramic coating would affect the warranty on the hellion pipes. Do your manifolds also.

MG0h3

Established Member
Correct on wetting it down. Some say a spray bottle. Some dunk in a bucket. Wear latex gloves!! Get the stainless straps you see advertised. Spendy but worth it. I overlap about 1/3.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread