Horsepower vs TQ

03ZincSnke30

Established Member
Why is that eatons make nice tq and the whipples make nice horsepower?
I understand the whipple is more efficient and all and I would really like to purchase a whipple but it just seems to me if you have a posi... ported lower and ported blower with all boltons and you could see 530 tq with upper and lower and you race a whipple at 17-19lbs your race would be heads up from 40 till 100 on the street? Please correct me if Im wrong I have 4500 and want to spend it wisely...

cobracide

Established Member
I don't think the lower port is worthwhile. Check with Posi. If your goal is 600+ hp, TS is the way to go. If low to mid 500's is enough, you can stick with the Eaton. As far as how the combos compare side by side in a race as an educated guess - top end the TS, on the street - I'll take the ported Eaton but it can very well be a driver's race. The Eaton should pull ahead a little to start with due to the superior torque.

Last edited:

ous2418

Established Member
the ports nowadays are making big power definatly worth taking a look at. however my whipple makes 642 and 602 trq which is way more than enough for the street. if i had it to do all over again id either go ported blower and gas or a big ts like a 2.8 or 3.4!! i wouldnt get a 2.3 thats just my .02

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Eatons make high TQ-to-HP because as soon as you pulley them you've just about reached their efficiency mark. When ported, you're able to run a little more boost but after about 15-16lbs the blower is maxed out. That's why you see Eatons with TQ similar or exceeding their HP.

A 40-100 run should be an instant pull for the Whipple car over the Ported Eaton.

If you have 4500 to spend, buy a Whipple. Ported Eatons are good bang for the buck (especially Posi's), but the best modding decision I've made thus far was stop playing around with the Eaton and buying a Whipple. The performance isn't even close to one another.

03ZincSnke30

Established Member
Alright thanks I am just wanting facts more less from experienced whipple owners and whats mods do you have and what power level are you at?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
My little KB makes 600rwtq. No ported Eaton is going to make that without nitrous.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I have full bolt ons, and am pullied for 17lbs (3.25'') pulley. I make 580RWHP/550RWTQ on my 94 Octane tune that I usually run on the street, and 636RWHP/629RWTQ on my 21lb (2.75'') pulley.

ous2418

Established Member
What all do you have to have to make what your making fuel mods and all and how are you keeping your hp and tq so close...

ok supporting mods:
lethal fuel system (injectors, fore hat and rails, gt40 twin pumps, etc)
whipple 2.3 21 ibs
kooks 1 7/8 header 3" collectors and orx
accufab tbody and s&b (big arse filter)

ous2418

Established Member
Also ous2418 have you ever got a run in with a fully ported out eaton car and if so what happened?

iv yet to run a ported car w/ the whipple. however i ran 3 diff ported cars w/ my old 2
kb 2.6 car and won all 3 fairly easy. my kb made more hp at similar boost levels and the whipple made more torque.

03ZincSnke30

Established Member
could I run 19lbs on no headers and highflow cats n magnaflow muff... and just 80lb injectors mafia for the maf and 40 amp BAP? with 93 octane? ... also I have stock clutch with fiore quadrant whatever haha... and my car has 38k clutch be fine at 580-600 drive maybe 2-4k a year and never no track time and only street race occasionaly

RoadRash

Established Member
Also ous2418 have you ever got a run in with a fully ported out eaton car and if so what happened?

I ran up on a pullied, ported Eaton once. From a dig, I smoked his a** .. We were even part way through first, and with each gear change, I put more and more cars on him. Got to the next light and he said, "what the hell you got in that thing!" I just smiled .. That was with my 3.2" pulley (18psi) as well .. :beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Eatons make high TQ-to-HP because as soon as you pulley them you've just about reached their efficiency mark. When ported, you're able to run a little more boost but after about 15-16lbs the blower is maxed out. That's why you see Eatons with TQ similar or exceeding their HP.

A 40-100 run should be an instant pull for the Whipple car over the Ported Eaton.

If you have 4500 to spend, buy a Whipple. Ported Eatons are good bang for the buck (especially Posi's), but the best modding decision I've made thus far was stop playing around with the Eaton and buying a Whipple. The performance isn't even close to one another.

Well said...to go ported you will need the same supporting mods as whipple/kb, so go ahead and get that Twin Screw and don't look back...However, I still have my Eaton, and thought about putting it back on the car if I ever sell it...

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I ran up on a pullied, ported Eaton once. From a dig, I smoked his a** .. We were even part way through first, and with each gear change, I put more and more cars on him. Got to the next light and he said, "what the hell you got in that thing!" I just smiled .. That was with my 3.2" pulley (18psi) as well .. :beer:

Did you have to ride your clutch in 1st - 3rd gear?

Users who are viewing this thread