Hoosier street drag radial 315/35 or Mickey street drag275/40

black04vert

Established Member
Dont know if this has been posted before but I would like to know which is the better tire for both street on track use. Has anyone used either and what would you recommend. How much would you have to heat up the tires as well?

REPCobra10

Established Member
I've used both the Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial and the Hoosier DOT Drag Radial, at the track and on the street. Both tires provide tremendous traction at the track when heated and are very equal in performance at the track. I pulled a best 60' time of 1.58 with the Hoosier's and a best 60' time of 1.59 with the Mickey Thompson's, so like I said, both are equal at the track. On the street however, I seem to be able to launch a bit harder on the Hoosier's than on the Mickey Thompson's. I guess I can attribute that to the size difference (335/35/17 for the Hoosier's and 275/40/17 for the Mickey Thompson's). Nonetheless, either tire is 100% better than the stock F1's or even the Nitto and BF Goodrich Drag Radials, in my opinion. One last thing, you really don't want to be caught in the rain with either the Hoosier's or the Mickey Thompson's. I've been sideways on more than one occasion just driving normal and below the speed limit in the rain. These tires are all about maximum dry traction, thus not providing much water evacuation for those wet days like I have down here in South Florida. Anyways, try either one and let us know how you like them. Take it easy man.

Last edited:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
I've got the Hoosiers, and like repcobra10 said they do hook. In fact I think they have almost killed my clutch. I find myself not driving my car very much at all since I put them on though (which isn't really a bad thing), because I dont want to wear them out real soon. How many miles can I expect out of these babies? Thinking about getting a couple of extra rims with some other kind of tire for casual use.

REPCobra10

Established Member
striker_29 said:
How many miles can I expect out of these babies?

Well, wear is definitely neither of these tires strong point! The most miles I've gotten out of the Hoosier's was ~2,500 miles before they were rendered useless to the point of being as bad as Goodyear Eagle F1's. I forget how many miles I got out of my Mickey's when I was running them. I'm guessing they probably wore out as quick as my Hoosier's do. As you say, your better off just to get another pair of wheels for track outings or street race outings with your Hoosier's or Mickey's on them and have another pair for your street tires so you don't wear them out so quickly. By the way, what clutch/flywheel set-up are you running? I am running the 26-spline DFX clutch with Fidanza aluminum flywheel with no slipping issues or any other issues for that matter with a 2.93"/4# combo and a 100-shot to top it off. Anyways, take it easy man.

Last edited:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Thanks repcobra10, sounds like you have a baddass car for sure! I'm still on my stock clutch with 40k on the clock, and have been considering the exact setup you are running. The only thing I am worried about is streetability, I still go on dates in this car. Thanks bro...striker

REPCobra10

Established Member
striker_29 said:
The only thing I am worried about is streetability, I still go on dates in this car.

:lol: Ya, I've had more than one girl say she didn't like the way the clutch engages while riding in my car. Regardless of what whiney-ass girls say, it is a very streetable clutch and is not too bad around town, but it is very grabby and will not allow you to slip it too much. It is "on or off" to put the feeling into words. You need to have decent footwork for this clutch and if you've never had as grabby a clutch as the DFX in your car then it will take some getting used to, but you'll get it down quick if you know what you're doing. Anyways, 40,000 miles on the stock clutch is just crazy! If you want to get some serious grabbing going on, try the DFX clutch with the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Give Lethal Performance a holler and they'll set you up with the whole package with everything you need for a very good price. They are extremely competitive with their customer service and pricing. Take it easy man.

Last edited:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
It is "on or off" to put the feeling into words

Great a binary clutch lol! Yeah that is what I have heard, and I have researched, will be calling lethal soon for a kit. Thanks again.

And to keep this thread on track, I dont think you can go wrong with either the Hoosier or th MT. Good luck!

black04vert

Established Member
Thanks guys for the info. I current have a stock clutch but am upgrading to DFX. Current mods are 2.8 cold air, upr tensioner, 2600 sct mass, accu-fab body and plen-, 100 wet shot which put down 583hp and 663tq. I just got my blower back with a stage 4 port which I will install and be going to the dyno later this week. I'm leaning towards the Hoosier, what size rim did you run on the 335's

REPCobra10

Established Member
black04vert said:
I'm leaning towards the Hoosier, what size rim did you run on the 335's

To use the 335's you need to have atleast 10.5" wide wheels, 1/2" wheel spacers and you need lugnuts with an extended neck or you can use open-style lugnuts as I did. The 1/2" wheel spacers will help you to avoid any rubbing issues on the IRS bolts and brackets. I have the aftermarket AFS Cobra Replica wheels and I got the 1/2" wheel spacers from Steeda. Also, I got my open-style lugnuts from Krager. If you get the Hoosier's, be wary of driving in the rain as I stated earlier in this thread. Anyways, you'll enjoy the traction these tires give you. Enjoy them man. Take it easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread