Hooray! passed my last emissions test

wheelhopper

Established Member
in my '95 Cobra R. After this year the car will get historic tags and I won't have to deal with that mess any more.

What a scam that is anyway. I have the 3 previous tests in the glove box and I passed them all the first time. My car has a bunch of bolt ons, is supercharged, and no cats. Clearly a way for MD to make money.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Of course. That would be at least 2 more times the state could charge for testing. Bunch of liberal *** holes running this state.

brianz426

Established Member
in my '95 Cobra R. After this year the car will get historic tags and I won't have to deal with that mess any more.

What a scam that is anyway. I have the 3 previous tests in the glove box and I passed them all the first time. My car has a bunch of bolt ons, is supercharged, and no cats. Clearly a way for MD to make money.

Good to know, my car doesn't have cats either and the last test the guys liked it so it passed. I've postponed this test 3 times and they won't let me do it anymore so we'll see what happens, March is my deadline.

SVTORANGE

Established Member

Could not agree with you more!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I was able to get classic tags here in PA on my '94 Cobra. Thank goodness too, that bitch wouldn't have passed with no cats.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Any word on when? I'd like to go ahead and register my other 92 before that happens if it's coming.

No Mike, that's only for Doug they're extending it. He pissed them off.

I have to go in a few weeks. Better not be more snow before then.

[edit] Must type faster

Last edited:

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
We should make a sticky thread for states best to move to for gear heads like us! I'm down to move south! And I agree it's all just a scam

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Seems like anything with OBD can pass pretty easily if you have the O2's turned off or just don't throw codes.

Last time I took the GT up there, they wanted me to pull through and I told them it was probably too low to make it over the rollers. I had two people crawling all around the front and sides of my car, looking underneath to see how low it was. Neither one noticed the supercharger whine, longtubes or complete lack of the stock 4 cats. Told me to back up and pull around for my 2 year waiver.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Yeah, they got keen to that now up here in Westminster. They pulled the rollers out all together... at least in the main inspection bays.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Nevermind..we already missed the bus Doug:
Vehicle Registration and Titling Questions

Edit; That text says 25 years, but the form says 20. I found the bill that proposed the change, but I'm not sure if it's passed...I'll have to dig that up.

Looks like it still says 20 years for under 10Klb GVWR, 25 for over 10Klb GVWR and street rods

Yeah, they got keen to that now up here in Westminster. They pulled the rollers out all together... at least in the main inspection bays.

Yep, they pulled the rollers out a few years ago at all locations. I was a able to use the to low excuse a couple of times for the 2003.

brianz426

Established Member
Now I'm as happy as Doug. My Cobra R passed emissions Saturday. All emissions equipment and cats were removed before I bought my car. I got in line fully expecting to fail. You have to wonder what all that crap is really for if cars are passing emissions without it.:shrug:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Now I'm as happy as Doug. My Cobra R passed emissions Saturday. All emissions equipment and cats were removed before I bought my car. I got in line fully expecting to fail. You have to wonder what all that crap is really for if cars are passing emissions without it.:shrug:

I agree BUT as long as the computer is happy and not throwing any codes your good to go.

flattrack53

Established Member

I take it you used Belair? For the few times I have taken my cars, the guys working are usually car guys so when they do the mirror check for cats they shift the mirror and walk by. As long as no codes are showing on the dash you are good to go! :burnout:

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
I asked and I was told the mirrors are just used to check for major oil leaks. Anyway, I did not pass. I did load a new tune on about 230 miles ago, thought I heard 150 was the magic number. I don't have cats, they didn't notice and told me since I don't drive the car all of the time it probably just needed some more on/off cycles - he gave me a 2 month extension.

brianz426

Established Member
I take it you used Belair? For the few times I have taken my cars, the guys working are usually car guys so when they do the mirror check for cats they shift the mirror and walk by. As long as no codes are showing on the dash you are good to go! :burnout:

Yes Scott,
On your recommendation I took my car to Belair when I first got it. A couple of guys heard me coming and actually waived me into their lane. Since that time over two years ago I've made it a point to take other cars there on Saturdays but never ran into them again. That's why I was worried this time. I picked the lane with the person I thought may cut me some slack. He never took out the mirror or looked at my dash. It seemed like he ran the tail pipe test as normal but I'll probably never really know. I'm getting historic tags next year so it won't be an issue anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread