hooking up gauges

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
I bought a water temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. Any one have pictures of where they installed the sending units for these. Any parts i need, or whether or not I need any Y fittings, etc. Any write up, tutorial, or advice would help. Thanks!

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you go to the Terminator forum, scroll down and enter the How To section. There are some write ups in there.

I have all mechanicals, but I used the stock location for the oil pressure gauge and on the bottom of the oil cooler is an allen head screw. Take that out and plug in the stock sender. Now both gauges work. Temp gauge if its mechanical you can remove an allen head screw in the driver's side of the block and install there same for electrical gauge too. Or you can get the adapter that is sold on here, Midcontinent Mustangs I think is the name of the company and put it in your crossover tube in front of the intake. The one with the square hole on the fitting that a ratchet almost fits into. The owner posts on here and in this forum, good guy and he makes nice products. Illumination is the #20 dimmer fuse location and power is #37 the convertible top fuse.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
mechanical oil pressure?:dw: For your oil temp get an oil filter adapter. gives you a nice clean port to hook the temp sensor into, and is an extra good idea if you have an oil cooler in the future.

Yup mechanical oil pressure, I removed the oem sender and put in the port on the bottom of the oil cooler. I run the autometer gauge to the port the oem sender was in. I probably shouldn't have commented on electric oil pressure since I have never installed one. I run the 6' braided line and it doesnt' leak, never has never will.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Be sure to run a search for keyword "gauges." Lots of good info already posted. :)

Gauge installation is fairly similar but will slightly differ depending on whether you purchased mechanical or electric gauges.

Like notchstang92 said, you can use the available port on the bottom of the oil filter adapter/housing to re-locate the factory oil pressure switch (aka: 6 psi sender LOL) and then install your aftermarket oil pressure sending unit where the factory one resided.

You willl have to remove the hex/allen plug...it's really simple, just take a look at it the next time you are under the car changing your oil (probably a good time to hook up the gauges as well, since a little oil will trickle out when you remove the hex/allen plug and the factory oil pressure switch).

As far as the water temp gauge install goes, if you are using an electric gauge, you can remove the plug that sits atop the coolant crossover tube and install the following adapter that hooks up with the sending unit for a clean install.

BLK03SVT10TH manufactured the adapter that I purchased, see thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160775

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
I have electrical gauges. If I take the extra water plug out of the bottom of the motor and install the water sender unit there, will I have to burp the system? I sure hope not.........

GreyAsp

Established Member
I have electrical gauges. If I take the extra water plug out of the bottom of the motor and install the water sender unit there, will I have to burp the system? I sure hope not.........
That's where I have my sensor, it works well. If you're really quick, you can swap the plug out for the sensor without losing too much coolant. Then you'll just need to top off.

Users who are viewing this thread