Hooker headers. Any install issues?

straightpaint

Established Member
So originally I was going to use the BBK on my car. Unfortunately BBK can't get their s*** together and I ended up opting to go with the Hooker Headers. Needless to say I originally planned on installing them on the motor outside of the vehicle. Hooker is claiming it is impossible.. just wondering what you guys you have these headers on your car have to say about install I'm a little concerned about something they mentioned about the starter spinning the keyway or something. Appreciate any input and feedback thank you

Snagmaster

Established Member
I don't get the "can't put them on outside the vehicle thing" did you mean " inside the vehicle. "?

It may be that they won't clear the chassis/body when it's lowered over the engine with the headers in place due to the fact that hooker always makes the best power producing design and they take up every available space there is while in frame, they may be a pain to install with the engine in place also.

About the starter, the same reason as above, they most likely mean the starter has to be re-clocked to clear the down tubes of the header, most of the aftermarket mini hi-torque starters can be re-clocked to turn the solenoid away from the header tubes so heat won't kill it.

In other words the mount stays the same but the starter solenoid/body is turned towards the block to clear the header, it may be you need an aftermarket starter as I don't know if the stock one can be re-clocked.

I've never put headers on a 4.6 yet but these are problems I've encountered in other builds over the years, I've never dropped an engine out of a car before, all mine went the other way till now.

Let us know what you find as I've been thinking hooker over BBK myself, you are talking about a Cobra 4.6 aren't you?.

straightpaint

Established Member
No I meant they said they cannot be installed on the motor outside of the vehicle. I believe you are 100% correct about the starter I might have an issue there

Snagmaster

Established Member
So they won't clear the chassis/frame if installed outside of the engine bay and the body is dropped over it.

May have something to do with the steering shaft, did they mention that?.

Ford stated the reason they didn't put factory headers on the 96-98 Cobra was that the only design they came up with that made enough power to do so wouldn't fit inside the frame/chassis.

Hooker has always made the best headers for power, probably why they barely fit.

Hedman always made the best fitting easiest to install headers but I don't know if they make them for this car.

Kooks are nice but way too spendy for me.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Digging around on the net I found a reference to a thread here from right around October 10 2009, or real close.

It's called. " All kinds of headers ", seems they talked about all headers available for the sn95 cobra and it was quite informative.

I can't dig it out via my phone it would take hours, but on a desktop????

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

Snagmaster

Established Member
I ordered from AM and had everything in 4-5 days. I just installed BBK LT, o/r H pipe and kept stock mufflers on my 98 Cobra while in my garage. Its not difficult but it does take patience. Here's my thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1112282-One-owner-70K-It-s-time-for-upgrades

Just a quick one, did your new set up stay quiet?, I want to do the same as you but I don't want a loud exhaust as I road trip a lot and don't want to listen to it, besides the GF loves cars but she's in her 50's like me and would rather listen to music or talk.

I really like the factory exhaust but it's only stainless from the muffs back, one day it will rot.

Snagmaster

Established Member
So originally I was going to use the BBK on my car. Unfortunately BBK can't get their s*** together and I ended up opting to go with the Hooker Headers. Needless to say I originally planned on installing them on the motor outside of the vehicle. Hooker is claiming it is impossible.. just wondering what you guys you have these headers on your car have to say about install I'm a little concerned about something they mentioned about the starter spinning the keyway or something. Appreciate any input and feedback thank you

Are the hookers you talked about for a 96-98 Cobra?, if so what is the part number?, I went to the hooker website but after 3 tries it kept saying they didn't make headers for my car.

I think it's this frikken phone.

Thanks

Cobraonr

Established Member
Under normal driving conditions the setup sounds good, not too loud and under WOT she sounds great and still not too loud, but it turns heads and that's priceless!
I married up, Lol! I'm 52 and my wife is 54. I like to hear my ol'Mach460 and we can talk at speeds w/o a problem. I owe everyone a 2nd GoPro video, I did one for stock, and now owe you all one as built on YouTube. I'm old school and the H pipe versus X, well the video will speaks for itself. I'll get it done in the next few days. If you want to talk about the install PM me and we'll talk Snagmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread