Hood shaking, functional hood pins or alternatives?

nate714

Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with hood pins on 11-14 mustang hoods, or experience with hoods coming off or rattling.

I wasn't too worried about this at all until recently I found one specific road that causes my hood to rattle. The road isn't that rough or bumpy and I think that relative wind speed causes my hood to rattle. Below 65 mph there is no rattle, above 70 it shakes too much to ignore. Haven't been able to replicate it on other roads or even going the other direction on the same road.

I don't really like the look of hood pins, but if they are worth while insurance against the hood flying open I may consider them. Online options seem really expensive and like an eye-sore. Most affordable option appears to be the steeda kit.

If there is a stronger latch or something that I could use under the hood I'm interested in that too. The hood doesn't feel loose or wobbly after pulling over and isn't releasing, just rattling at speed.

If anyone has suggestions or comments on the issue of hood rattle I'd love to hear it.

nate714

Established Member
I just took a peak at the hood bump stops, the arrows on each were pointed in different angles, not sure how they should point. While I was there I crawled under to look at the lower air deflector and took some video, thinking this might be the cause, what do you think? The movement is me lifting on the deflector with 1 finger.

https://youtu.be/s4ivYYbWfyo

https://youtu.be/brZ2J5sibrU

Ductape

Established Member
I think you might be missing some fasteners on the lower wind deflector? maybe that's causing some flapping/wind buffeting underneath translating up to the hood.

GBCoyote

Established Member
It's from the splash shields/deflectors under the car. You are missing one or something is loose. I had this happen to me before and I got under there and had been dragging a plastic piece for almost 7 miles.

nate714

Established Member
It's from the splash shields/deflectors under the car. You are missing one or something is loose. I had this happen to me before and I got under there and had been dragging a plastic piece for almost 7 miles.

Yup. Mine isn't dragging (yet) but it appears all rear mounting points broke apart. It's being held in place by all the front fasteners.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Time for hard screws, this doesnt happen on the 11-14 cars! When my 17 comes in im replacing those fasteners with hard screws...

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Time for hard screws, this doesnt happen on the 11-14 cars! When my 17 comes in im replacing those fasteners with hard screws...
it happens on the 11-14s. You just dont know what you are talking about. Congrats on the 17 so you can add the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that section.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
it happens on the 11-14s. You just dont know what you are talking about. Congrats on the 17 so you can add the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that section.

Didnt happen on mine or any of my buddys cars so we talk from our experiences. You must have got a Monday car its probably why your always uptight everytime you come here...

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Didnt happen on mine or any of my buddys cars so we talk from our experiences. You must have got a Monday car its probably why your always uptight everytime you come here...
i like busting your balls because of the !!! in every post. My car didnt have hood shake up until i put the k-member in which deletes the splash guard. Some have had issues stock but its mostly from aftermarket accessories like grilles, hoods, lower valence, splitters, k-members, ect.

nate714

Established Member
I had my lower air deflector replaced, haven't taken it for a high speed test spin yet but I'm confident that it's probably solved.

nate714

Established Member
Thanks! I haven't been back to the specific road where I was able to replicate this multiple times, but I did get up to 90 on a different freeway with zero rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread