Hood Mod

CobraTone

Established Member
Do a search for Postban and look in his sig. He has a link to detailed instruction for the hood mod. Basically you are cutting bigger holes in your hood blanket to release more heat and provide better flow, and surrounding the holes with insulation to make it look stock. It's a pretty simple mod, should take you about half an hour if that.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Tools was a utility knife (box cutter) and a pair of pliers. The trim was from a boating supply site on the internet, 20' (minimum order) did 6 cars. It is plastic in the shape of a "U" with metal sandwiched between so you can crimp it and shape it to conform with the angles in the blanket, andit will stay. It honestly took me about 10 min. to do both sides.

The painted Cobra was done with Testors acylic silver model paint. I have no idea if this is the best paint to use or not. I outlined the letters with a silver paint pen, then I free-handed with a paintbrush - it soaked into the hoodliner pretty fast - so it took a while. Isn't as nice as I would have liked, but it looks good from a distance... :-D

Last edited:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Did anyone else do the "mod" like I did? I only cut where the liner was thin (not into the insulation) so I could avoid using the edge molding. So far it's holding up well and no water stains through 2 rainy days so far in one month.

post-2-24557-DSC00016.jpg

CobraTone

Established Member
T&J, that is a good idea, too bad I didn't think of that to begin with.

Oh, and that red looks BADASS! I want to do that to mine now. What kind of paint did you use? :thumbsup:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
T&J, that is a good idea, too bad I didn't think of that to begin with.

Oh, and that red looks BADASS! I want to do that to mine now. What kind of paint did you use? :thumbsup:

Thanks, the red looks good in the pic but up close it looks like crap. I used a fabric paint from the local Wal Mart (read wally world) and it was too thick. I tried to use spray auto touch up paint but it would not stick to the blanket.

I'm going to try and lightly sand the ridges out of the paint and then use a model paint to get the gloss back now that I have a base over the blanket.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Just take the whole thing off. It won't hurt anything and is easier to clean. AM radio reception is the same.

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by Snakebitten
Just take the whole thing off. It won't hurt anything and is easier to clean. AM radio reception is the same.

I thought it was there to protect your paint from the heat, to keep it from flaking and stuff?? :shrug:

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
The paint has been "baked." A black cars paint in the hot San Diego sun will get hotter than any under hood temp. JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread