Hood Mod Done with 2 straight days of RAIN!!!

KingKobra

Established Member
I just got back from the NHRA in Pennsylvania this weekend. I was pumped and decided to do the hood mod.

I bought a handheld box cutter, some 2 yards of Aluminun Muffler repair tape, and some wire insulation tubes.

The cutting was easy... most of the cut blanket didn't spread out much. The metallic muffler tape was great... this muffler repair tape is rust and heat safe, obviously. :) I pulled the flaps back and behind the hood blanket. I didn't want to cut them off. The flap and vent (are attatched) can pop out really easily, which allows you to put the flap back without removing the hood blanket. Then I cut the blanket with the blade. (very easily) I used the natural contours of the blanket as a guide. Next, I wrapped the muffler tape around the edges of the newly cut fiber blanket. I still havent put the wire wrap around it, but I'm not worried... this muffler tape was cheap and is holding really well.

IT RAINED ALL WEEKEND... so when I got up this morning, I decided to see how bad the water collected on the radiator hose and coolant box. NOT MUCH, just a few misc drops... nothing to really consider, being that it rained for 2 days! Heat FLOWS from this thing like MAD. I'm convinced that it breaths better. The hot underhood temps evaporate water drops for hours after shutoff.

Do wear gloves or be careful... this material has fiberglass in it. itched like hell on my fingers.

I will post pics!

Last edited:

mosconiac

Established Member
Thanks for the tip on wearing gloves!

As soon as my trim arrives from "skstang", I'll be doing the hood blanket mod on my '03.

I'm leaving the flaps on as well so I can close them when washing the car. Any thoughts on securing them in the open position (velcro)??

Mosconiac

KingKobra

Established Member
The plastic is hinged in the rear and the front of the flaps can be snapped back into place with ease. It's a little work to get the flap in and out of behind the blanket, but it does work. I suppose you could work out a way to easily velcro them back for quick swapl, but I haven't tried, YET. :)

:)

Last edited:

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, I can let you know the exact stuff I used... It was 99 cents for a yard and 2 packs was more than enough. In fact, I bought it at TrakAuto, which is going out of business and is discounting all their stock. :) It comes in little yard strips in a package... give me 2 hours and I'll snap a pic and show you that exact product.

It was in the muffler pipe section, hangin on a hook. Muffler repair tape... it's metalic just like the stuff they used on the top of our hood blankets.

KingKobra

Established Member
I'm back! I'm formatting the pics as we speak... FINALLY - I didn't install the plastic tubing yet... it was too hard without tape, so I waited to put the tape on first. :) I liked the idea, as you can see. :beer:

KingKobra

Established Member
BELOW: The Aluminum Tape: Sorry the brand name got chopped... I don't know the name offhand. :bash:
mufftape.jpg

BELOW: The Tape up close. :coolman: SHINY, like the blanket top!
tape.jpg

BELOW: Close-up of my tape jopb... it sucks, I'm doing it over and this time, I"M STICKING THE BOTTOM HALF FIRST THEN FOLDING IT OVER THE TOP OF THE BLANKET. less wrinkles in the tape then. Notice the flap is folded behind the blanket... unseen...muuahahahaa.
closeup

BELOW: This is the whole job... I didn't do the front since it wasn't cut and doesnt get wet.
whole.jpg

BELOW: Here's what you see from the top. Look, ma, no pulleys!
leftside.jpg

BELOW: Here's the hose that can clip over the tape, if need be... I like the idea, and the hose is flexible and can get into the corners. :beer:
hose.jpg

Last edited:

KingKobra

Established Member
03 Red Cobra You're correct!

dmreitz Have fun!

All in all, this tape seems to be one of the better choices. It actually hardens with heat. It's activated by the heat in 30 minutes. Hopefully, people can get Victor at Pep Boyz, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread