Hood Liner - How to Restore it

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Most hood liners have water spot damage from washing the vehicle. Well, I found a way to make the liner look "like new".

I bought a can of SEM carper/vinyl dye in Landau Black for $8.50 at an upholstery shop.

I removed the liner by gently pulling on fasteners to avoid breakage. I leaned the liner on the garage wall, where I shot it with the SEM.

Not only did the SEM cover the water spotted areas, but the Landau Black color is very close to original. I sprayed the whole liner making sure there was even coverage. Now I have a hood liner that looks new and is ready for the Knott's show on April 18.

I am very pleased with the results :coolman:

CobraTone

Established Member
Cool info, thanks. I was debating taking mine completely off, but I'm still not convinced that over the years the heat won't hurt the paint on the hood. Everyone says they have had it off for a year or whatever, but I'm keeping my car a long time, so I don't want paint flaking after 5 years. Of course, that would be a good excuse to get rid of the crappy factory paint and get a good paint job. :shrug:

itproca

Established Member
redfire, would you mine posting a pic of how yours turned out? I am very interested in performing this mod.

Thanks,

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I took pictures this afternoon and will have images in a few days. I don't have a digital cam so I'll have Savon develop the film onto a CD...

2814v

Established Member
Will this product make it less likely to stain in the future? Or dose it just return it to like new condition and will continue to stain after you reinstall it? Good info thanks.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I just take it off and spray it with flat black hi-temp paint. Does not need to be anything fancy cause all you are doing is concealing stains. Nothing will stop the absorbent nature of the material. It soaks up a whole can of spray paint, probably several.

No need to buy a special product IMHO.

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
I just take it off and spray it with flat black hi-temp paint. Does not need to be anything fancy cause all you are doing is concealing stains. Nothing will stop the absorbent nature of the material. It soaks up a whole can of spray paint, probably several.

No need to buy a special product IMHO.
:beer: I agree/ Go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of Dupli-Color Trim Paint.Works great and is cheap.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
just wanted to add my comments about the hood liner. Its there mostly for noise dampening not to fight the heat from the engine compartment.

My car is black, the surface of my hood in the middle of summer gets significantly hotter then the air under the hood generated by the engine. yes the metal components of the engine get hot but the air in the compartment doesnt come close to the surface temperature of my black car in texas on a nice 110 degree clear day.

so hopefully that sheds some light on the whole, its gonna heat up my paint thing. the air under the hood has never burnt my hand, yet the hood surface heated by the sun does.

given that I wouldnt worry about it too much. your paint will flake off long before the heat from the engine has anything to do with it.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I use Campmore water repellent. Take the liner out and give it two heavy coats. Coat the edges too. It works pretty good. Sctchguard would probably also work.

Users who are viewing this thread