Hood Latch Adjustment...no more slamming it closed

MystiChrome1399

Established Member
Great tip!! Thanks - drove me nuts drop'n the hood all the time and the chipped paint gggrrrrr..... guess in a few years I'll repaint it and drop the $5,000.00 on the paint.

Father who gave me the car, drove it without getting it 3M'd like I told him he should so it's got the chips on the front bumper, lil on the hood and along the side cowling. All the normal spots.... drives me nuts. First mods then paint :rolling:

mooch91

Established Member
Do this! For the minimal effort, it made a huge difference. Actually leveled out my hood too with the bumpers - it's not been sitting flush for as long as I've owned the car, until now. Thanks for the write-up!

blue500

Just one more simple tip to add that I have used for years. When removing the three bolts use plastic cling wrap(in most kitchens or the grocery store) on the head of the bolts(the wrench or socket will still fit) and you will not scratch your bolt heads so no touch up paint will be needed. Hope this helps.

Bruin08

Established Member
just coming back from being outside and doing this to my car. worked just like it said. only complaint but has nothing to do with the poster is the cheap ass plastic clips ford used. one of mine broke and then when i went to put them back in none would tighten back up. so if anybody has any idea on where i could get some more of these cheap ass clips or possibly somethin better please let me know. thanks for the free mod btw

Spoolx

Established Member
Anyone else have luck with this mod? i put a huge washer (at least 1/8") thick and the hood didnt seem to get any easier to close.

FYI I found out why this mod did not work for me, I have been noticing that my hood seemed to be not aligning correctly from side to side and its been bugging me.
I popped open the hood and pulled the cover off and noticed that the bracket that holds the latch was not centered over the area that it was originally.
I centered the bracket and now it works perfectly!

kbrier

Established Member
Hood Latch mod and plastic fasteners

Hi:

Yes; the mod works real well, I agree! Those plastic “press in” fasteners or “ribbed / Christmas tree” fasteners are real crap. I asked my trained Ford mechanic that I go to when I get in over my head why Ford uses these? He explained that they are inexpensive, allow quick assembly, and permit some movement for various parts that need to flex. I then proceeded to go on about my ideas of using some sort of “1/4 turn” fastener and he just told me it’s not worth pursuing; “Ford is right and I am not” … LOL! I have been able to find some of these plastic fasteners at Lowes and Home Depot in the hardware department. I am sure you can get them at the Ford Dealer too, but they most likely are more expensive. :rockon:

Bruin08

Established Member
Hi:

Yes; the mod works real well, I agree! Those plastic “press in” fasteners or “ribbed / Christmas tree” fasteners are real crap. I asked my trained Ford mechanic that I go to when I get in over my head why Ford uses these? He explained that they are inexpensive, allow quick assembly, and permit some movement for various parts that need to flex. I then proceeded to go on about my ideas of using some sort of “1/4 turn” fastener and he just told me it’s not worth pursuing; “Ford is right and I am not” … LOL! I have been able to find some of these plastic fasteners at Lowes and Home Depot in the hardware department. I am sure you can get them at the Ford Dealer too, but they most likely are more expensive. :rockon:

ooo ok. yeah well you dont think someone from ford is going to tell you otherwise unless hes a real good friend that isnt going to try to make a buck. i appreciate the advise. ill have to go pick some up when I work on my car next which will be replacing the belts.

Users who are viewing this thread