Hood Insulation

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Car at dealer...Hood blanket beautiful...Dealer washes car...Stains on hood blanket:nonono:
What kind of stupid design is this? I talked to SVT and asked what suggestions they had. They said no suggestions, but the blanket is put there for sound deadening. Not for hood heat protection. Not to drop down and put out a fire when the tabs melt. I can live without sound deadening so I took it off. It would have been nice if they painted the area under the blanket. What would that have cost? 50 cents?:mj:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by flyn high again

I talked to SVT and asked what suggestions they had. They said no suggestions, but the blanket is put there for sound deadening. Not for hood heat protection. Not to drop down and put out a fire when the tabs melt.

So SVT actually told you that the blanket was not there for anything but sound protection? Interesting...

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
I just find that interesting because there has been a lot of debate on this board about paint damage over time, etc... I also thought I read (can't find it specifically), that someone else was told by SVT not to remove the blanket, but that opening the vents was ok...

I personally haven't talked to SVT... just regurgitating what I've read...

flyn high again

Established Member
To clarify, they did not mention the other options I added but they did say it was for sound deadening and what I got out of it was that they thought that removing it would be ok even though they did not want to tell me to. Maybe for liability reasons. When I mentioned to the SVT guy in passing that I thought this was a design flaw there was a second or two of awkward silence. When I said I was going to remove it since it was for sound deadening, he did not tell me not to remove it.

Last edited:

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
For any of you that have removed the hood blanket, do you notice the engine being louder now? Not that it would be a problem to me though. :D

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
To clarify, they did not mention the other options I added but they did say it was for sound deadening and what I got out of it was that they thought that removing it would be ok even though they did not want to tell me to. Maybe for liability reasons. When I mentioned to the SVT guy in passing that I thought this was a design flaw there was a second or two of awkward silence. When I said I was going to remove it since it was for sound deadening, he did not tell me not to remove it.

It's a design flaw if it friggin' leaks. If mine ever gets here. the hoods getting tossed, or the vents sealed.:mj:

flyn high again

Established Member
I can see right through my vents. They have been open since I received the car. I am not sure what I will do when it rains as this is going to be my daily driver. I have seen better designs.

03 Blacksnake...It's slightly louder. Removing the air silencer also added a little blower sound:)

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Re: Hood Insulation

Originally posted by dmreitz
So SVT actually told you that the blanket was not there for anything but sound protection? Interesting...

Remember that half the guys who answer the phones are not engineers, and could have been at Circuit City 6 months ago. There has been plenty of "bogus" and patently inaccurate stuff attributed to SVT phone answer guys - incluidng the "engine wasn't designed for synthetic oil" guy.

If it were only there for sound deadening, why does it have a foil laminate, which is grounded to the body/chassis? Does sound somehow move electromagnetically? - really, people need to think for themselves on some of this stuff...

:rollseyes

flyn high again

Established Member
Good point. I assume the foil is there to block interference from the engine to the stereo. The metal in a hood normally helps do this, however, our hoods are not made of metal so I can see the foil logically being there to stop radio interference. Especially since it is grounded to the rest of the car. I am not a pro at car audio, but I have put systems in before and had An Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, and Kenwood system in my "92 LX. This is my opinion not what I know for a fact. I agree with you that what they say must be taken with a grain of salt, but they sound so believable sometimes.LOL
Any stereo pros out there who know the answer?

BTW it is good that people can help by pointing out what others in their initial excitement at having a new car and posting on a forum for the first time might miss. I completely forgot about the foil being on there when I posted.

Last edited:

slth69

Established Member
mines been off for over 2000 miles. Engine is a bit louder, absolutely no damage to the hood and the radio reception is as good as it was with the blanket on. Only problem is the fact the it needs painted. I guess ford just can't paint an entire car.

Cobra'03

Established Member
it won't affect FM, but possibly AM, as well as other cars. There are rules the mfrs. follow for RF interference.

FLyinhigh, better late than never. You are of course right that a composite or SMG or fiberglas hood will not shield against RF energy - fiberglas was developed in WWII to shield radar against the elements, while being transparent to radio freq transmission.

Stay tuned - next week the debate will fire up again...

Bosko

Established Member
Is there some type of paint we can spray on the hood blanket that has a "plastic like" finish that will take the heat from the motor? Or even that rubberized spray coating might work. That way it will always stay black and shiney and you could just whipe it off not to mention it wont soak up water and stain.

flyn high again

Established Member
Cobra 03 I hear you. Doin' a search on the subject showed me how many times this subject appears. I imagine after 1600+ posts you get a bit tired of all the repeat questions. Please bear with a new guy who thought he had "the answer".
I think my solution, for now at least, will be to do the hood mod and paint the insulation with some type of high temp water proof/resistant paint. At least most of the water coming through seems to drop between the engine and radiator onto the ground.

BTW is there any way to spell check these messages. I get sick of editing after I see I misspelled something.

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I cut mine up so water would just fall completely through, rather than linger on the blanket (I forget who first posted this mod). Then I took foil tape (used in HVAC duct work) to clean up the ragged edge and to keep the blanket from absorbing water and swelling up.

I still have the flaps in there, though.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
It was called the 'postban hood blanket mod' after the first guy who mentioned it on the boards last year: postban...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
BTW is there any way to spell check these messages. I get sick of editing after I see I misspelled something.
If you hit "Preview Reply", you can review and edit before it becomes official...

flyn high again

Established Member
Blue03Cobra...I try to but my brain automatically sees it spelled properly until I come back later and re-read the post.Then it bothers me. I know it's anal of me.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I talked to an enginer (spelling) who works at an auto company and while he does not work on mustangs or cobras. He told me the hood blankets are for noise suppression and removeing it will not hurt or effect our paint. I would think that since our hoods are composite and not metal they would not hold heat as long any way. But I could be wrong. And lastly I remember when I first got my car thinking the hood and engine compartment stayed hot long after driving and with the blanket removed and vents open it cools much quicker just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread