Hood Heat exchanger

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Was looking at buying a new one and having it hydro dipped carbon fiber. Does it come with the adhesive tape attached, loose in the box or do you have to get your own. If so what are the specifications for it

Thanks!

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Was looking at buying a new one and having it hydro dipped carbon fiber. Does it come with the adhesive tape attached, loose in the box or do you have to get your own. If so what are the specifications for it

Thanks!

I bought one a few months ago online from a ford dealership, it came with the adhesive already installed. Just peeled the plastic wrap off the area where the adhesive was and popped it into place.

I also was about to hydro-dip all the plastics but didn’t pull the trigger...if you end up hydro-dipping it post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I bought one a few months ago online from a ford dealership, it came with the adhesive already installed. Just peeled the plastic wrap off the area where the adhesive was and popped it into place.

I also was about to hydro-dip all the plastics but didn’t pull the trigger...if you end up hydro-dipping it post some pics!

Thanks will do!

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Southeast Carbon Works can hydro dip your parts or sell you hydro dipped parts.

The work/vendor are first rate and the hydro dip is very very close to Carbon weave.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I've been checking around to see what's more cost effective (buy it already dipped, buy an OEM and have it dipped, or buy a carbon fiber one). I cant seem to find anyone that sells them. Went to lethal's site. They dont list the vent. Cant find a website of True Forged. Americanmuscle listed one up to 2012 (Does not fit 2013). Looks like I'm hitting a dead end.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
True Forged does not sell them anymore. Shame, they were first rate. Occasionally you can find one for sale.

Short of that, hydro dipping may be your only option.

merkyworks

Established Member
Not trying to offend anyone who likes hydro dipped carbon but I can't stand hydro dipped carbon anything. It's just plastic parts trying to look like carbon fiber but it's clearly not carbon fiber.

My vote is to get a real carbon fiber hood heat extractor vent, there are 2 for sure companies that make them and 1 kind of makes them.
  1. TruFiber
  2. Anderson Composites
  3. As Bearbo stated True Forged used to make them and you can find them used now and them; that's how I found mine. There was a FB group chat a while back and True Forged (Steve Medina) stated he still had a few hood vents in inventory. Personally I think the True Forged is the best looking version cause of the single center rib design. More heat extraction vent area, cleaner lines and if you have a striped car the rib lines up between the two stripes.
IMG_8671.JPG

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Not trying to offend anyone who likes hydro dipped carbon but I can't stand hydro dipped carbon anything. It's just plastic parts trying to look like carbon fiber but it's clearly not carbon fiber.

My vote is to get a real carbon fiber hood heat extractor vent, there are 2 for sure companies that make them and 1 kind of makes them.
  1. TruFiber
  2. Anderson Composites
  3. As Bearbo stated True Forged used to make them and you can find them used now and them; that's how I found mine. There was a FB group chat a while back and True Forged (Steve Medina) stated he still had a few hood vents in inventory. Personally I think the True Forged is the best looking version cause of the single center rib design. More heat extraction vent area, cleaner lines and if you have a striped car the rib lines up between the two stripes.
View attachment 1474750
No offence taken. Do you have a contact for Steve Medina?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
4EB358D7-011D-4431-9972-AD9B005F956B.jpeg

No offense taken either, I considered real carbon fiber for a second then decided if I’m buying CF it will be for weight savings or strength. Much rather spend that extra money on performance. I just had mine done with hydro dipping and everyone who sees it loves it.

To each thier own, but that’s my opinion.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are some parts that do not come in Carbon Fiber. Hydro Dipped is the only option if you want to change it to the Carbon Fiber look. Still, I prefer the Carbor Fiber pieces as the weave has a depth you can’t get in hydro dipped plus the lightness of the pieces is amazing.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
View attachment 1476143

No offense taken either, I considered real carbon fiber for a second then decided if I’m buying CF it will be for weight savings or strength. Much rather spend that extra money on performance. I just had mine done with hydro dipping and everyone who sees it loves it.

To each thier own, but that’s my opinion.

WOW! What a difference. Did you get this through a vendor? Cost?

That really wakes up the hood compared to the boring flat black vent. How does it look around the screen pattern openings?

Tom

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
WOW! What a difference. Did you get this through a vendor? Cost?

That really wakes up the hood compared to the boring flat black vent. How does it look around the screen pattern openings?

Tom

Thanks Tom, yes it make a huge difference and the pattern around the grilles look good. I also did a bunch of pieces and posted a thread in the picture buffet section.

No vendor, brought it so a semi-local hydrographics business in Edmonton. Liquid Customs.

Robot_trainer

Established Member

Heres one pic

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_212535_478.jpg
    IMG_20180420_212535_478.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 291

robtee

Established Member
Thanks Tom, yes it make a huge difference and the pattern around the grilles look good. I also did a bunch of pieces and posted a thread in the picture buffet section.

No vendor, brought it so a semi-local hydrographics business in Edmonton. Liquid Customs.

What pieces did you do? I like the cf look on the hood and on the wing, but not sure how to revitalize the other black plastics - grille, chin spoiler, side mirrors, trim below windshield. Would it be worth it to have those dipped black? Painted black? One of the "plastic trim restorer" kits?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
What pieces did you do? I like the cf look on the hood and on the wing, but not sure how to revitalize the other black plastics - grille, chin spoiler, side mirrors, trim below windshield. Would it be worth it to have those dipped black? Painted black? One of the "plastic trim restorer" kits?

I had done both grille surrounds, emblems, rad cover, hood vent, splitter, rear air diffuser and license plate surround plus a few things under the hood. Had them all ceramic coated and have been holding up flawless.

Pics here: https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...complete-on-13’-shelby.1156622/#post-15856543

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Never been a fan of carbon fiber, unless it has a function.
The hydrodipping can look nice, but can quickly be "overdone" when doing it to every piece attached to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread