Hood bubbles

cbrown9064

Established Member
Hey!

The paint on my stock 1996 Cobra hood is getting "weird" (bubbles) in a few places. A paint guy said it is probably a flaw in the gel coat. His advice was to get a new hood, as it may be less expensive than trying to repair the original.

Who makes a good quality OEM replacement? Cervini's does not do a OEM hood.

Thanks!
CB

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Keep your hood.
Get it fixed at a shop. Shop around, yes even Macco as most paint shops typically won't touch a "touch up" cause they deal mostly on a strict timetable with insurance repairs only.

I just purchased a complete OEM hood for my 96 from a rear ended 98 as I bought my car with a cowl hood on it.

Even if you get another hood, it will have to be sanded down, prepped, and painted. The same as your stock hood.

At least this way you don't have to pay extra for a hood (upwards of $300), and you know it fits. Aftermarket fiberglass is questionable and it may shrink/ expand and not fit correctly - and once you paint it you can't return it.

Last edited:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
What this guy said^^^

Strip hood, careful not to cut into gel coat, prime block and spray.

Is it easier to get a new hood? Sure. Could the same thing happen? Yup. Fix what you've got. Depending on your color, plan to pay to blend the fenders as well.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Interesting...the paint guy I talked to today said the hood would have to be sanded down to see what is wrong, ground out/fix the flaws, block and they prime/paint. He advised it would be cheaper to get a new hood and prep/prime/paint it, than to fix the old.

Will keep looking.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
I don't think your paint guy knows what a cobra hood is worth - IMO.

I would sand it down regardless. Fiberglass is still flexible and multiple layers of paint can mean cracks, spider webs, orange peel later.

Mine was $500 and it was off a black car.
$300 if your lucky on Craigslist.

What is he quoting you to fix the one you got now?

Ask for a quote on a repro or used OEM hood to sand, fix any manufacturing/ fitment flaws, prep, block, prime, color spray, color blend your fenders, and color sand if you wanted to go the extra step.

Compare the two quotes from him then get a second shops opinion on bob courses of action and go from there.

If all else fails just paint the whole car!

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I had strange looking bubbles on my hood also. I sanded the whole thing down to the fiberglass and where the bubbles were, there were dark spots in the fiberglass. I had someone repaint the hood, knowing the problems I had with it and knew it was fiberglass. A couple years later the same bubbles are starting to come back. I am not happy.

cbrown9064

Established Member
This ^^^^ is what th paid guy said. He was talking 6-8 hours to redo the existing hood. You can get a new hood for $300. Yes, you will still have to prep and sand, but you won't be "fixing" what is causing these bubbles.

Dunno....these cars are not collectible anyway. Too many made. This one has sentimental value to me, as my Uncle bought it new. Will keep thinking.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I'd try to keep the factory hood or get another factory hood. Haven't seen any aftermarket hoods that fit as well as the OEM hood.

Sure lots of these cars were made but as time goes there's fewer and fewer around. Of course it'll never be GT350 rare but I think they're unique enough to try to preserve.

richstang

Established Member
I'd rather pay a few extra $'s for another OEM hood and have it painted to match than risk the bubble showing up a few years down the road. (Especially if your keeping the car for the foreseeable future) Keep you original hood.

These cars are not in a collectible time frame yet. It's just too soon. Notice the Fox bodies are just starting to move up in values. I think prices on these 94-98 SVTs have finally stabilized. It might be another 5-10 ten years before they start moving up closer to the original list. Might as well enjoy them now.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I'd rather pay a few extra $'s for another OEM hood and have it painted to match than risk the bubble showing up a few years down the road. (Especially if your keeping the car for the foreseeable future) Keep you original hood.

These cars are not in a collectible time frame yet. It's just too soon. Notice the Fox bodies are just starting to move up in values. I think prices on these 94-98 SVTs have finally stabilized. It might be another 5-10 ten years before they start moving up closer to the original list. Might as well enjoy them now.
Agreed!

IA-SteveB

Established Member

Good point. Around here, SN95s aren't worth much right now but I think as time goes by you will see fewer of them in decent shape which means if you have kept yours nice, you will be able to sell higher. It's going to take a while, though. I was going to sell mine when I was faced with a huge repair bill but I realized that the car is worth more to ME to fix and keep to enjoy. If it goes up in value, great, but I doubt it will be that much.

Users who are viewing this thread