Hood blanket removal ?

BBriBro

Established Member
I was thinking of just removing the whole blanket, rather than doing the "hood blanket mod" That way I should be able to hear the engine and supercharger more, and make the vents more functional without having to alter the blanket. What do you think?

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
I have been told that the hood blanket is there for 2 reasons, 1) to deaden engine compartment noise, and 2) to protect the hood and its' paint from engine compartment heat.

In an extreme case, I suppose the hood could suffer paint damage, such as darkening, if the hood blanket is removed and the engine compartment gets really hot.

-norcal_cobra

mosconiac

Established Member
I've had mine off for quite some time with no ill effects.

In fact, I should have done it earlier, because after about 6000 miles the blanket wore away paint in some areas leaving exposed...um...what the he11 is the hood made of anyway?

If you are thinking about removing it, do it early.

Mosconiac

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by norcal_cobra
.....to protect the hood and its' paint from engine compartment heat.
I knew this would come up, but does the engine compartment get hot enough to melt paint? I hope not. I know on turbocharged cars this can be a valid concern since they really do glow red hot, and look at a Grand National with the turbo sitting right up on top, that could be a problem, But I don't know about the cobra, I hate to chance it though, not knowing for sure.

B

blown03cobra

I just took the whole damn thing off too. ALOT more air flow and I think it just looks better being able to see through the hood vents. Another reason it is there, as in all other (new) cars is for fire suppresion...... If you do happen to have a fire in the engine bay, the black tabs melt and the "blanket" falls atop the engine essentially smothering the flames.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by blown03cobra
Another reason it is there, as in all other (new) cars is for fire suppresion......
I like that reason, and for the noise, Do you guys really think its there to protect the paint from blistering?

B

blown03cobra

It is somewhat louder, the blanket material is sorta like the sound deadening material inside our car so it does make a difference. I, personally like the sound my car makes with it off and my pulley and TB..... There is NO WAY in hell our cars, with the Hood Vents in place could get hot enough to melt, or fade etc. the paint,, Our hood has too much of a "hump" over the SC to be sufficient in drafting heat away and out the engine bay through the vents.

B

blown03cobra

Not to say that weird things dont happen, but if someone does have their paint blister, or fade,,,, they need to get their car in under WARRANTY and get their engine/SC checked cause that sure would not be "normal" temp conditions.

rezcobra

Established Member
Before next summer comes I'm taking the whole hood off and replace it with Steedas new Cobra hood. It has more vents and is lighter than the stock piece. Also sorta has that Cobra R look. Just gonna try to make this 03 look different as much as possible without going the rice look, like all kinds of fake vents here and there.

B

blown03cobra

No problemo buddy, when you get back, let us know if you can notice a noise level difference. Time to go for a little ride to get gas :)

BBriBro

Established Member
I won't be able to drive it :( We got 5 " of snow last night and the car is less than a week old. I won't be so anal as to test the ph of the water when it rains to check the acidity of it, But I will wait a bit longer to drive on the freshly salted roads.

Blackcobra

Established Member
I agree that you should simply take the blanket off. I took it off right away (simply popped off the plastic tabs in 30 seconds), then I velcroed the vent flaps back against the hood. Have had zero troubles.

B

blown03cobra

LOL,,,, dont forget to take multiple samples of the water so you get an accurate test results LMAO...... BLACKCOBRA,, why didnt you just snip those vent flaps off... just wondering,,, ,also, what are they there for???

Blackcobra

Established Member
Blown,

I figured I'd keep them on there (bent back rather than snipped off) in case I ever wanted to restore things to the original condition. I assume they're on there to prevent the elements from getting into engine, whether from rain/snow fall or from carwash or whatever... but that's a guess and I haven't had any problems. All the best.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
A strip of Velcro holds my vents back, that way I can just pop the hood and close them....I took my hood blanket off the first hour I owned the car...no problems, 5700 miles later....brother is the head painter at a body shop if any problems ever arrise..

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by blown03cobra
I just took the whole damn thing off too. ALOT more air flow and I think it just looks better being able to see through the hood vents. Another reason it is there, as in all other (new) cars is for fire suppresion...... If you do happen to have a fire in the engine bay, the black tabs melt and the "blanket" falls atop the engine essentially smothering the flames.
The under hood blanket is not there to suppress a fire. It is insulation to retain heat and to dampen sound.

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by 03 Red Cobra
The under hood blanket is not there to suppress a fire. It is insulation to retain heat and to dampen sound.

Just like I said in my other posts,,,, Oh yeh, I have seen MANY car fires in which the blanket smothered the engine compartment thus taking out the fire. Oh yeh, i forgot to mention that Im a Vol. Firefighter :thumbsup:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Red Cobra
It is insulation to retain heat
Retain heat? Why? is that necessary? Doesn't the engine generate enough heat, don't we want to get rid of heat not retain it?

Users who are viewing this thread