Hood blanket mod with door edge grds

03'Darin

Established Member
I did this mod about 2 months and 900 mile ago and had posted some info. on it. A couple people asked to see pics of it and I finally got chance to take them.

Sorry for the crappy quality of the pics. I only had my digital video camera to use and it doesn't take great pics(as you can see).

Last edited:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Is it necessary to take off the black plastic piece that covers the vents? Any hood blanket water marks? I am getting ready to do the mod myself, any other info would be great. Thanks.

:beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
I still have the plastic pieces that cover the vents on. All I did was pull the hood liner loose far enough to fold the covers up underneath.

I don't have any water stains at all.

Some of the things I would suggest:
-mark the shape with a pencil you want to cut out. This will allow you to get a uniform cut on both sides.
-I left the liner in place when I marked it so I could use the hood vent for a reference on the size and shape to cut out.
-when you cut the liner out use either a scissors or a serated knife
-after I cut the liner it left some thick edges. I stapled the edges to help hold them together. Be careful to staple close to the edge or it will show after you put the trim on.
-one piece of my trim came loose so I used aquarium sealer to glue the two edges in place where the trim meets.
-I left the liner on when I did the mod. It would be easier and take less time if you remove the liner to do it. Only after you draw your shape to cut out.
-when you put the trim on it must be spread apart and pushed the entire way on.
- don't cut the excess trim off until you have it all in place. Be sure that when you cut the trim it fits tight. This will help to hold the trim in place

03'Darin

Established Member
ox03

Not quite. They are the guards for the rear verticle edge of the door.

The door edge guards are black rubber that I bought at Pep Boys for $5.99. They are about 6" longer than I needed for my mod and have an adhesive on the inside edge to help hold them in place. The nice thing about these door edge guards is that after you spread them open when installing they return to their original shape and kind of clamp down over the loose edge of the blanket.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Misinterpretation on my part...You meant that you used door edge guards to seal the edges of the trimmed insulator.

Pyro

Established Member
Fortunately, I dont take the Cobra out in the rain so I dont have to worry about water marks except when I wash in which case I may just cover the vent with duct tape. In fact, I dont take it out when it's windy like today. Rightly so since my commuter got sand blasted on the way to work.

Commuter car:
1984 Dodge Colt Vista Wagon, Two-Tone: white/blue...is there any other color?
AKA "Birth Control", "Girl Getter", "Rally Vista"

Mods: Rusted rocker pannel, TNTC Door dings, Flaking paint (especially during a wash so I dont wash anymore), permanent mud from off-roading, exhaust mod (broken muffler hanger) and much more!

Last edited:

mkdiehl

Established Member
I have posted additional pictures as well if you search my posts. Including pictures of the actual trim.

I would add one more thing, some type of gloves would be a good idea unless you want to be picking fiberglass out of your hand the rest of the night....don't ask me how I know....

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> I've never seen any guards like that before. What's that for? People scraping the door on curbs or something?

You got it. A friend picked them up for me after he gouged the passenger-side clearcoat finish on a curb. It was a painful moment...

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Seems like after a post has been on the board awhile, the pics on these old threads move around. Maybe a glich caused during backup or something. MODS, what is the cause of this??????

Users who are viewing this thread