Honor Guard?

stangaholic280

Established Member
I just did an active duty funeral yesterday for a young lady that decided to take her own life. She left behind a husband and 2 kids. She was 8 months pregnant. :(

I did an "unofficial" ceremony for a pilot who did the same thing. The AF declined his right to an official HG ceremony because of the nature of his death. We got a 20 man team together and did an off the record ceremony complete with flag fold, colors team, and firing party for his family and friends.

I have done quite a few active duty funerals. Nothing more saddening than watching multiple BUSES of fellow Airmen and family pull up with tears in their eyes. :(

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I just did an active duty funeral yesterday for a young lady that decided to take her own life. She left behind a husband and 2 kids. She was 8 months pregnant. :(

Was this at Eglin? I'm here and we had a suicide brief on friday. Way too many people turning to suicide. I think they said there have been 20 in 2012. :nonono:

speedsun

Established Member
Was this at Eglin? I'm here and we had a suicide brief on friday. Way too many people turning to suicide. I think they said there have been 20 in 2012. :nonono:

Negative. That briefing was for an aircrew member but he was taken back to his home state for his military honors. We did our last for a lady from a recruiting sqd. out in AZ that was held in Alabama.

sn: Really considering putting in an Air Force Honor Guard packet. My NCOIC said he would write me a recommendation, so I would just need one from my Chief now.

EATONSWAPPEDDTR

Established Member

OMG. That is unimaginable. Very tragic.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

stangaholic280

Established Member
Negative. That briefing was for an aircrew member but he was taken back to his home state for his military honors. We did our last for a lady from a recruiting sqd. out in AZ that was held in Alabama.

sn: Really considering putting in an Air Force Honor Guard packet. My NCOIC said he would write me a recommendation, so I would just need one from my Chief now.

Good luck!

Very difficult to get in...and once you do, that's a hardcore job to do. It would be one heck of an experience though. :beer:

speedsun

Established Member
Good luck!

Very difficult to get in...and once you do, that's a hardcore job to do. It would be one heck of an experience though. :beer:

I can imagine. They train for 8 weeks supposedly. We did 2 weeks of the whole yelling, pushups, training deal and that was enough. My only problem would be I'll more than likely make staff this year and would have to deal with Airmen out of basic. But I think I would do well there. I would likely end up on colors or firing party. Doubt I would ever be a bearer due to my body build.

We'll see tho, guess I'm testing PFE only this year too. WTF Air Force?

Users who are viewing this thread