Honest opinions requested...

Daywalker

Established Member
So I own a 97GT that has been down for a little over three years now. I had it towed to a shop in March of 2014 for a head gasket change and rebuild. During that time I had the block re-built, bored over, new stroker pistons, etc and had the heads gone through. The guy who did the work screwed me and "delivered" my car back to me with zero compression, on any cylinder. I showed up to pick it up when he said it was ready and he sped off right when I pulled up. He sent me a text saying that the keys were in the gas door, and I discovered the rest once he was long gone. I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy, and neither has the BAR rep working the case. Anyways, I bought a Teminator back in August and frankly I'm over the GT. My friends say that I shouldn't give up so easily and try to get the GT running, but I just wanna part it out and put that money into the Cobra. I've owned my GT 15 years as of December 2014 and have over 20K invested in it, what are everyone's thoughts? Thanks for reading...:(

Daywalker

Established Member
The agent from the BAR needed time to do his investigation so he asked me not to mess with it. He just came out and interviewed my buddy and I and took a bunch of pictures Friday. So no, we don't know if anything is bad or it was just assembled incorrectly. But even if all the parts are good, I'm still looking at paying more money to yet another shop to have it ripped apart again. That's a big reason why I'm kinda over it, that money could be put toward a whipple...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The agent from the BAR needed time to do his investigation so he asked me not to mess with it. He just came out and interviewed my buddy and I and took a bunch of pictures Friday. So no, we don't know if anything is bad or it was just assembled incorrectly. But even if all the parts are good, I'm still looking at paying more money to yet another shop to have it ripped apart again. That's a big reason why I'm kinda over it, that money could be put toward a whipple...

Well I would not touch a car under investigation. If you go and get rid of everything it will look like you are hiding something. I also would not sell anything I did not know if it was a good or bad part. Wait it out, and see what the BAR does for you first.

Daywalker

Established Member
Well that goes without saying, I'm not gonna touch it until the investigation is complete. I'm just thinking about the next step, once all of that is figured out. No matter what the BAR's investigation yields, I'm still gonna have to decide what step to take next in regards to the car...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Depends on how much time/effort you want to put into it. Any way you look at it you are going to lose money. You won't get the money back that you put into fixing it (unless it's a very small $$ amount), you won't get the money back you spent on mods, and you will take a big hit selling it as is.

If I knew a few parts were good that brought decent money on the used market, I would sell those few things and then sell the roller for cheap. I wouldn't want to put in the time and effort to parting out every single little thing, but maybe you are ok with that.

Daywalker

Established Member
Well I'm sure the major stuff should sell, like the ported heads, bullit intake swap kit, stroker shortblock, Glenn's 100HP fuel system, and T56. What I could get for those parts would get me more than the car as is that's for sure. It's also got a full MM front suspension but I wanna put that on the Cobra as well...

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sounds like you should swap the suspension you want, part out the motor and tranny, and fuel system, then sell the roller for cheap to get it gone.

Daywalker

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking as well, but my buddies think I should try to get it running instead. Thanks...

Daywalker

Established Member
Well, turns out the BAR agent was unable to get in touch with the shop owner so we're gonna have to go to court. Hopefully I'll be able to start tearing the car down for part out soon...

Users who are viewing this thread