Homelink - tap in to cig lighter power?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd like to mount my HomeLink unit inside my center console. For power, can I tap into the cig lighter and if so, which wires? I'd rather do this than mount in the map light since I have the security system...too crowded.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Short answer is yes. I used power from the accessory plug in my center console to power my intercooler pump and heat exchanger fan override switch. There are only two wires on that outlet, one 12V constant and one ground. I don't remember the wire colors, but it should be obvious when you tear into the console.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks, no decent place to put it in the center console to my liking so I just picked up a 2014 sun visor. I'm going to sell the black Homelink I just bought. IMHO, best for someone without the security in the done light above the rear view mirror.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah, mine has plastic in the center under the security piece I would have to grind down. I decided it was too much work which means I am too lazy to grind and fab it up :)

Snoopy49

Established Member
Are you sure that the remote in the visor is Homelink?

Garage Door Opener Comp.jpg

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes, it is HomeLink in the Ford sun visor (Ford part number DR3Z-6304105-DB) and the unit I bought on ebay is the HomeLink module. I have a HomeLink in my Ford Edge as well.

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
Yeah, mine has plastic in the center under the security piece I would have to grind down. I decided it was too much work which means I am too lazy to grind and fab it up :)

No doubt I actually ended up do it at the dining room table. I had to grind down the home link along with the dome and reroute the wiring.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is from the 2013-14 Mustang Factory Service Manual

Universal Transmitter
Functional Components

The only functional component of the unversal transmitter system is the universal transmitter, which is part of the LH sun visor.

System Operation
The universal transmitter uses the Lear Car2U® System. It consists of 3 buttons, each with its own indicator lamp. The universal transmitter is an integral part of the LH sun visor and provides a convenient way to substitute up to 3 hand-held transmitters with a single built-in device. The universal transmitter can learn the radio frequency codes of most current transmitters. The universal transmitter:
  • operates garage doors, gates and home/office lighting and security systems.
  • learns and transmits the radio frequency of up to 3 hand-held transmitters from any of the systems mentioned above.
  • is powered by the vehicle battery and charging system.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This is from the 2013-14 Mustang Factory Service Manual

Universal Transmitter
Functional Components

The only functional component of the unversal transmitter system is the universal transmitter, which is part of the LH sun visor.

System Operation
The universal transmitter uses the Lear Car2U® System. It consists of 3 buttons, each with its own indicator lamp. The universal transmitter is an integral part of the LH sun visor and provides a convenient way to substitute up to 3 hand-held transmitters with a single built-in device. The universal transmitter can learn the radio frequency codes of most current transmitters. The universal transmitter:
  • operates garage doors, gates and home/office lighting and security systems.
  • learns and transmits the radio frequency of up to 3 hand-held transmitters from any of the systems mentioned above.
  • is powered by the vehicle battery and charging system.

Mine is not the Lear Car2U, it is the HomeLink. Perhaps they made the change for the 2015 model year. I just bought the sun visor from Ford yesterday, which I believe is 2013/2012 (Ford part number DR3Z-6304105-DB). Same thing as in my '13 Ford Edge.

Homelink.JPG

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
There are instructions for both remotes in the 2013-14 GT500 Owners Manual Supplements', but the only remote I have seen in four 13-14 GT500s were the Car2U remotes. If anyone with a 2013-14 has a Homelink remote in their car, please post. It would be interesting to see if and when they changed over. It may also come down to multiple suppliers, manufactures like to have at least two sources for all their parts just in case there is a supply problem.

Last edited:

RSAGT500

Established Member
So far I'm liking the car2u. Big difference is you hit the button once and the garage opens. The Homelink you have hold the button for a second or two.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When I wire this up, I ordered the Painless 70402 so it will be plug and play. Not sure why I'd need to take it off but it will be a simple connection to make.

Users who are viewing this thread