home theater question

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 7.1 system with the rear surround speakers. I would highly suggest spending your money elsewhere for now. The difference these extra two speakers make is subtle at best in most of my listening. Use that money towards the sub(s) instead. With that big of a room you are going to need it. Some subs have their own remote for volume control, etc and about any good receiver should allow you to easily adjust the sub volume independently which may help with the WAF:)

Unless you're gutting the room for other reasons you might try using some strategically placed reflective/absorption panels in your room first. There is a science to this but pay particular attention to the corners. Someone suggested AVSForums and that's a great place to start but bring some ibuprofen along as it can get confusing fast. Here is some light reading which may help you along your journey.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-forum-podcasts/1494052-acoustics-101-anthony-grimani.html
https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205061040-Adding-a-Home-Audio-Subwoofer
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/an-easy-solution-to-subwoofer-calibration
http://www.klipsch.com/blog/how-to-set-up-a-7-1-system/

Last edited:

01svtL

Established Member
If not separates, I'd go with a Yamaha RX-A30XX (highest your budget allows in that line). Just make sure it's out of the RX-A line and not the RX-V. All new receivers have the ability to change speaker levels etc. The RX-A3XXX series employs the latest version of Yamaha's YPAO room correction. It will make a big difference for tv/movie watching if you set it up correctly. It'll set all of those speaker levels and distances using the included mic based on your listening position. It corrects for weird angles, furniture etc that could be affecting the sound waves before they get to you. I believe you can then go in and make further adjustments from there to fine tune to your liking if you want (people often want to turn the sub up). Aside from that, your front 3 and the sub are the most important. The center needs to match the Left/Right. If you can't find something from the same series as your L/R Polks, then try to get something that has similar components (same size tweeters and drivers as the L/R and power output, similar sensitivity etc). It makes a difference.
99cobradave made great suggestions for subs. Any of those guys will get you what you need. If you can't go 2 subs at the moment, go with at least a ported 12" in that size room. You can always add a second one later (make sure it's the same). SVS makes a good 12" ported sub under $1,000.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
+1, I have two RX-A3030's (now 3040/3050) and they are great receivers. Looks like the 3040 is running about $1400 or so online though authorized vendors which is a pretty good deal for what you're getting IMO. And yes, you can make further adjustments after the correction completes. As 01svTL said, most turn the sub volume up some from the correction setting.

Blown 89

Established Member
I wouldn't sweat the receiver too much, most are going to sound close enough to each other where you will never be able to tell the difference. List the needs you have and then go buy whatever receiver checks off the most boxes. You will find that audiophiles have drank the kool-aid to the point that it's no longer funny. Instead, spend your time properly setting up the system and tuning it.

May I also suggest cracking open your pioneer and inspecting the main board and connections. Chances are you're looking at less than a $5 fix if you have basic soldering skills. The money you save could either buy a sub or get you into a level of headphones than would destroy anyone's setups on here.

Oh, and FYI on the Yamahas. If you can wait until May that's the time to buy. They're well known for giving them away to move stock for the next model. Yamaha's dialogue reproduction is pretty poor out of the box IMO...a lot of people on avs will agree with that but like I said, the audio community has their heads so far up their butts so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

01svtL

Established Member
Common response by someone who can't hear the difference in different gear. There's nothing wrong with not being able to, but to assume others can't is absurd. I can hear a very real difference between my Yamaha and NAD receivers, all else being equal. It's more than obvious to my ears. I much prefer the NAD with my setup.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
If the budget allows look at Anthems line of recievers.... And the optional room correction package. Best setup for SQ until you move to separates.

Just throwing another name out there.

MG0h3

Established Member
anybody have recommendations for recessed speakers for front/rear--not even sure Im terming them correctly.

Just bought a little house and it has the four prewired locations in the ceiling for surround. I dont need anything crazy. I currently have some $450 Sony package deal that I got at Best Buy but the front/rear speakers arent recessed and I plan to just move that to my garage.

My only real complaint with this system is that on some movies the background/sub noise over powers voice so I guess I need a bigger center speaker or a better tuner that you can dial in.

Users who are viewing this thread