Home theater help

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Short and sweet.

My PS3 is connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI. The Onkyo receiver is connected to my TV through HDMI. I have picture, I have sound in the TV speakers, but not in the surround speakers. Do I need component cables from the PS3 to the receiver so it will play on the surround system? Any ideas?

Thanks

ModularFan

Established Member
Short and sweet.

My PS3 is connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI. The Onkyo receiver is connected to my TV through HDMI. I have picture, I have sound in the TV speakers, but not in the surround speakers. Do I need component cables from the PS3 to the receiver so it will play on the surround system? Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, there should ports that you can plug your PS3 into (VIA) HDMI! how many ports does your surround sound have?

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
The model is HT-RC160. It has 5 ports and I have the PS3 plugged into (HDMI 1) and the receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI properly yes I checked the small stuff over and over!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The model is HT-RC160. It has 5 ports and I have the PS3 plugged into (HDMI 1) and the receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI properly yes I checked the small stuff over and over!

so youve got

PS3 --> HDMI --> Onkyo --> HDMI --> TV

and youve got picture and sound on the tv but no sound on the speakers on connected to the receiver?

youve got a setting wrong on the receiver if thats the case

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
That is correct. However the setting is correct checked it and changed it to all choices nothing worked.

They sent to sets of instructions one was a "quick guide" the other was the actual booklet. I went off of the quick guide, I then refered back to the booklet.

The booklet states "If you have an HDMI-compatible TV and players, you can connect them to the AV receiver with HDMI cables. The audio and video signals received via teh HDMI inputs are output by the HDMI OUT as they are (pass through). To listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, please make the audio connections shown below."

The picture shows them using HDMI, Coaxial, Component, and Optical. I thought that HDMI did all that shit, GAY! I wll try connecting all of them and see if it works. Ridiculous!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You should just be able to hook it up through HDMI and that's it. If all your inputs are right on the receiver and TV you might have to change a setting on your PS3 itself, but I'm not positive.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Yea hooking everything up didnt work either. Thanks though guys I will have to call them (Mid-City) tommorrow and figure it out then. Pictures will be posted in a few weeks as I am also getting a 110inch projection screen! I just wanted to hook this up and watch some movies to hold me over.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Did you try adjusting the audio output through the PS3? I'm pretty sure your issue is there. You want Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM checked. I believe that tells the PS3 to let the receiver handle the sound.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The booklet states "If you have an HDMI-compatible TV and players, you can connect them to the AV receiver with HDMI cables. The audio and video signals received via teh HDMI inputs are output by the HDMI OUT as they are (pass through). To listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, please make the audio connections shown below."

The picture shows them using HDMI, Coaxial, Component, and Optical. I thought that HDMI did all that shit, GAY! I wll try connecting all of them and see if it works. Ridiculous!
It almost sounds as if the receiver is in Pass Through mode. I had an old Onkyo that when the "Pass Through" setting was activated the receiver did exactly what yours is doing... passing the signal straight through the receiver and not acting on, or altering it in any way. Sounds like you need to take the receiver out of "Pass Through" mode and activate DSP (Digital Signal Processing).

U.M.

Last edited:

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Thanks guys! The problem was the sound settings on the PS3 and the receiver was in pass through mode.

It also has 2 settings for the surround the first one uses all the speakers, the second setting uses just the front 3. It was set on 2, and since I did not calibrate it on 2 it wouldn't work either. Mid-City walked me through that this morning and he also helped me get it out of pass through mode. I then messed around with the PS3s sound settings and it is working like a charm!:banana:

Evenflow

Established Member
While this thread is open...I have a problem with my SS.

Everything is working fine and sounds awesome, but sound is still coming through my TV. I have to turn the TV volume all the way down to 0. Is there anyway to turn the sound on my TV off or will I always just have to turn it down to 0?

This is with a Sony HTIB, everything connected via HDMI.

Antagon

Established Member
While this thread is open...I have a problem with my SS.

Everything is working fine and sounds awesome, but sound is still coming through my TV. I have to turn the TV volume all the way down to 0. Is there anyway to turn the sound on my TV off or will I always just have to turn it down to 0?

This is with a Sony HTIB, everything connected via HDMI.

Vizio's have a setting to turn off the TV speakers completely, I'd imagine most newer tv's do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread