Home Stereo AVR gurus step in.....

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Currently I have Yamaha AVR home setup that has worked flawlessly for 15 years now. I have a center channel started to fade in/out while watching movies. More than likely the amp is on it's way out.

I did some shopping throughout the area for an upgraded/receiver unit. I went to Best Buy and bought the Pioneer Elite series receiver. Needless to say I wasn't happy with it so I returned it less than a week later.

I shopped around a bit and noticed a Best buy DENON AVR-2311C! $849 setup that was reduced to $469 because it was the last years model. I ended up purchasing the unit but to be quite honest my Yamaha sounded much better.
Here's is the specs on the Denon:
Denon - 735W 7.2-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - AVR2312CI

I have a friend the works closely with Crestron/Prodidgy and is an installer/dealer. Supposedly these guys have nothing but high end AVR receivers, tvs, etc......I'm not even sure that you can buy them on the market because you really need to be an installer or dealer to purchase any items from their catalog.

Since he's a close friend he said he could get me a Integra 40.3 that has all the bells and whistles for his costs $700. Normally they price them at a 40% markup margin. These units come with a 3 year warranty at not cost to the customer.

Integra Specs 40.3 Products

Here's a list of their current receivers for comparison.
Integra Home Theater

I just curious if anyone has had the info personally with the Integra.

-Chris

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Have you considered sticking with the Yamaha brand? :shrug:
They make great receivers and your last Yamaha worked flawlessly for 15 years.

I'm currently using the Yamaha RX-V3800 AV receiver and I love it.

bleedout

Established Member
good question man, i currently have a denon and its so/so... wish it had a bit more power. i have acoustic research front mains, klipsch center and 15" sub. my old reciever was a yamaha and it lasted for years, about 8. but it was out dated and needed to be replaced. not too sure about the brand your refering to but looking good, GL.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
denon consistently outperforms the yamaha and even the aventage series. read sound & vision magazine or get a subscription.

the yamaha's have a bad wattage drop. their 120w aventage is dropping into the 80's when in use!

whats making you think the denon is worse?

I would wager both receivers were probably just stock setup and not setup properly if I had to guess.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I love my McIntosh equipment and if you can swing it......, but best bang for the buck is indeed the Integra!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
When I was shopping around I nearly went with Denon because I hear about them being good recievers. The guy talked me into going with a 500$ Onkyo that had similiar features...and so far I am very pleased with the sound. You might look at them as well.

tistan

Established Member
The first thing you are doing wrong, is shopping at Best Buy for high end receivers. The Denon receivers that Best Buy sells is not the same as Denon's high end receivers. If I am not mistaken, Yamaha also has a higher end receivers than what Best Buy carries.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The first thing you are doing wrong, is shopping at Best Buy for high end receivers. The Denon receivers that Best Buy sells is not the same as Denon's high end receivers. If I am not mistaken, Yamaha also has a higher end receivers than what Best Buy carries.

it is the same

Denon - 1260W 9.2-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - AVR4311CI

DENON US | A/V Receivers

You can pick up a 4311 in store.

If you want the 4810 or the 5308, those can be ordered

thasalvoo

Best buy just clearanced their pioneer elite receivers. The sc-35 is 900$ down from 1600. And the sc33 is under 500$. I personally have the sc35 and it's amazing. 140 watts per channel

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Best buy just clearanced their pioneer elite receivers. The sc-35 is 900$ down from 1600. And the sc33 is under 500$. I personally have the sc35 and it's amazing. 140 watts per channel

only thing that ticks me off about them is switching out to a cheaper dac

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
mmmm McIntosh.
McIntosh > Marantz > Denon
my top fav 3

Marantz has always had good shit. I used to lust after a full marantz system but could never afford it LOL!

I don't remember what my receiver is but I run some pretty decent Polk Audio surround speakers with a velodyne sub. I was going to buy a system in a box but after looking around and talking to some folks I decided to buy shit individually rather than a boxed set.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Marantz has always had good shit. I used to lust after a full marantz system but could never afford it LOL!

I don't remember what my receiver is but I run some pretty decent Polk Audio surround speakers with a velodyne sub. I was going to buy a system in a box but after looking around and talking to some folks I decided to buy shit individually rather than a boxed set.

oddly enough, mcintosh, marantz and denon are all owned by the same parent company

and ya, I want a marantz 7005 in a bad way, just gotta settle for my denon 3311 haha

glad you bought an individual system and not a junky box set

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Hmm I didn't know that. I have last years model. Maybe I have a good one? It's a heavy bastard

they went from wolfson to burr brown dac's like 2-3 years ago.

I had a buddy who was HARDCORE pioneer elite, and after he found out the changes they made last year, he said he'd never buy another pioneer elite.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Update on my last post. I made the trip to Houston yesterday and my buddy opened up his shop to show me their demo rooms/setup...Anything related to Cretsron-Prodigy is nothing short of awesome and top notch. This unit pretty much out performed anything that I have ever owned. I was blown away with the options and sound. Since most my center, sub, and surround are a bit out dated I planned on adding some extra components. New center(DefTech), new sub(Velodyne 12" very affordable but kicks ass), and new rear surrounds(DefTech).

I picked up my DTR-40.3 750 cash with three year warranty. You won't find these for sale from what I understand unless know someone is a dealer.
THX® Select2 Plus™, 2-Zone 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver. This unit has so many options and was much easier to operate vs. the DENON is just picked up.

DTR-40.3
THX® Select2 Plus™, 2-Zone 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver

AMPLIFIER SECTION
Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)
110W /Channel (8 Ω)

Last edited:

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Which deftech speakers are you getting? I really like the Mythos series but still not sure what's best for a 25x25 viewing room (direct or Omni-directional like the Bipolars).

KindaStock

Established Member
I'm pretty much in the same boat at the OP. I'm about to upgrade from a 15 year old JVC unit that has been overheating. It's a 5.1 channel system. I have the receivers narrowed down to the Yamaha RX 471 ($330 local, $270 online), the Denon AVR 1612 ($350 local, 300 online) and the Integra 20.3 (I've been told around 500 from a local dealer). Anyone have any experience with any of these relievers? I've had positive experiences with Denon before

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have the denon 889 that I bought a few years ago. when I get back to the states I may upgrade it to a marantz finally.

oddly enough, mcintosh, marantz and denon are all owned by the same parent company

and ya, I want a marantz 7005 in a bad way, just gotta settle for my denon 3311 haha

glad you bought an individual system and not a junky box set

Users who are viewing this thread