home made oil separator on 03 cobra??

bhollie

Established Member
has anyone done one specifically for these cars? ive seen a few pics on 01 cobras and lightnings but not on an 03-04 cobra.
i think i can built it from the hardware store if i saw some pics.
also do i need to do one on both sides???
thanks.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Just on the drivers side, from the PCV valve 3/8 fuel line, to an air compressor filter, about $10 got mine at Walmart, then 3/8 line back to the vacume line. looks just like this.
555-3710-150.jpg

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

i found the filter at walmart, home depot didnt carry the husky filters down here, but they did have some fittings.
i cant tell how how the hose routing should be. on that pic it looks like it goes back down the firewall somehwere.
is the flow of the filter go from the valve cover to the pcv valve ?

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Air is sucked from the PVC valve, on the valve cover, to the intake. On the car there is a rubber boot on the PVC valve that adapts the smaller PVC fitting to the 1/2 inch or so plastic pipe. The plastic pipe is routed back to the intake, about 8 inches or so it goes into another rubber adapter, that is where the 3/8 pipe that you made will go into. So, from the PCV valve to the filter back to the intake.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
So, the correct connection for the filter would be to assume to air is flowing FROM the PCV connection on the valve cover TO the intake, like this: INTAKE <- VALVE COVER

Correct?

Also, the oil seems to be coming from the passenger side vent hose into the intake tube, right before the throttle body. Why would you not put the catch system on that side?

lucafu1

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte

Also, the oil seems to be coming from the passenger side vent hose into the intake tube, right before the throttle body. Why would you not put the catch system on that side?

ttt

edz

Retired.
Established Member
The air flows from the air intake pipe, into the passenger side valve cover, through the engine and is sucked out through the PCV valve on the drivers side to the intake. If you remove the pipe on the PCV valve with the motor running you can feel the suction there.

Stolen explination "oil separator reduces detonation, oil burning and deposits on the valves by removing oil drawn through the PCV system before it can contaminate the intake charge." This is especially true in vehicles that have "excessive" boost or a lot of miles. Lightnings have been using them for years.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Thanks for the explination edz, but:

I'm still not clear as to which way to orient the filter.

I'm assuming the air flows from the PCV on the valve cover TO the intake, correct?

Also, if the air flows from the intake pipe into the passenger side vent hose, why does oil end up in the intake pipe, coating the throttle body, and contaminating the intercooler.

If I want to prevent the oil from coating my intercooler and TB, would installing the filter between the PCV and intake do the trick?

I guess my thinking is: Why not put the filter at the source of where the oil is coming into the intake tube? I just need to understand this better.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
The oil "vapor" is added to the air inside the engine, clean air is drawn in from the passinger side valve cover, it then picks up contaminants (caused by combusted air/fuel getting by the piston rings) as it circulates around the inside of the engine, then the contaminated air is sucked out of the PVC valve, it reenters the engine after the TB before the intercooler where it reenters the combustion chambers through the valves to be burned again.

PVC valve-----> filter-----> return to engine

go here http://www.misterfixit.com/pcvvalve.htm for an explanation of the PVC system

Last edited:

larryc7777

Established Member
Here's how the separator/filter is plumbed into the system.
1. Find a location to mount the filter on the drivers side of the engine compartment. Shoot for a location that will be relatively cool but close enough to the engine to keep the hoses as short as possible. You might have to construct a bracket to hold the filter or purchase one from the filter manufacturer. Be sure to orient the fittings to keep the hoses straight if possible.
2. Remove the hose that is attached to the nipple of the PCV valve. Install a new length of rubber hose from the nipple to the "inlet" fitting on the filter. Probably your filter will have an arrow on the casting indicating the correct direction of airflow in & out of the filter. The inlet is the end that is located at the base ("feathered") end of the arrow.
3. From the outlet fitting(arrow point) run another length of rubber hose that will attach to either the hose that was originally on the PCV valve nipple OR run it all the way to the fitting at the back of the intake plenum where the above mentioned oem hose is attached. Either way will work. Just make sure that you have good tight connections with no leakage. Use hose clamps at all attachment points.
That's all there is to it. Now the contaminated air from the crankcase will exit the PCV valve, pass through the filter, and then be drawn into the back of the intake plenum on its way to the combustion chambers to be reburned. Except now there won't be any oily residue to foul your intercooler or spark plugs. :)

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just completed the install and went for a 10 mile test drive. Everything is secure.

It didn't collect any oil yet though.

I guess I didn't get into the boost hard enough yet.

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

hey,,,,,, post some pics for us please!!! I just want to see where you ended up mounting it.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread