Home camera setups....

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I do not have internet so i need a good home security setup... Whats a decent affordable brand and has good night quality.... I'm not sure how i can run the cameras at end of driveway unless they are wireless but doubt they make those...
Long story short my neighbor is a pos and keep going into my property and he records people coming down our 8 home common driveway

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
How long is the driveway? You could do power over ethernet cameras up to 300'. There are a lot of decent POE cameras/systems out there. Swann is reasonably priced and I have had good luck with them in the past.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
How long is the driveway? You could do power over ethernet cameras up to 300'. There are a lot of decent POE cameras/systems out there. Swann is reasonably priced and I have had good luck with them in the past.
Driveway is probably 200ft long

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Would I need to bury the ethernet cables?
Stupid question i would.. But do. They need to be certain type for water, rain, mice, moles etc?

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
ba0224f6f67a180a00f221f575e01723.jpg
assuming this and needing to put connectors on it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'd want to bury it. I'm going to be installing a full home system in the next year or so.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Would I need to bury the ethernet cables?
Stupid question i would.. But do. They need to be certain type for water, rain, mice, moles etc?

I would run a trench with buried PVC pipe to the driveway location.
Use a pull string to fish the line through, and I would make sure the terminations are clean so you don't get interference.
Make sure you use outdoor rated Cat 6 cable.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I would run a trench with buried PVC pipe to the driveway location.
Use a pull string to fish the line through, and I would make sure the terminations are clean so you don't get interference.
Make sure you use outdoor rated Cat 6 cable.
Ok cool..and run cables to the hard drive and i guess hook mac up to it and view when needed?

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I'll run one to door by deck.. Front door and garage and end of driveway up in a tree

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Id be tempted to go ahead and run 2 cables anywhere you gotta go through the trouble of pulling it through pvc and burrying it (in case of corrosion, lightning strike etc...)

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Id be tempted to go ahead and run 2 cables anywhere you gotta go through the trouble of pulling it through pvc and burrying it (in case of corrosion, lightning strike etc...)
Good call.. 500ft is only 52$ i just need the dang tool and connector

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
we got a relatively cheap tool from amazon and its kind of a pain in the ass. If youre doing a bunch of cables you might be better off getting a little nicer one.

just make sure whatever recorder unit youre buying will use the ethernet hookup for the cameras or how youre gonna make that work. And stay away from Dedicated Micros crap (although Im sure when you saw the price for what it is does it would be out the window anyway).

KEVINS

Established Member
I installed (all hard wired) what I was told by several security gurus 13 good quality analog cameras all with IR, etc but I am really disappointed in the quality of the images. With the outdoor cameras if a vehicle was much more than 20 ft from the cameras then I can’t read the license plates clearly. If someone was farther than 10ft from the interior cameras then their faces were blurry. Learning from this experience I would have gone all digital cameras and only used 3 or 4 instead of the 13 analogs.
My next system will not be analog.

ks

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I do not have internet so i need a good home security setup... Whats a decent affordable brand and has good night quality.... I'm not sure how i can run the cameras at end of driveway unless they are wireless but doubt they make those...
Long story short my neighbor is a pos and keep going into my property and he records people coming down our 8 home common driveway

Well look who stumbled in the door...

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Well look who stumbled in the door...
;) been busy... This second house.... Adding deck.. Been on the Harley, overtime, family stuff... I hop on time to time.

But you can't beat the wrath of knowledge from the guru's here

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I installed (all hard wired) what I was told by several security gurus 13 good quality analog cameras all with IR, etc but I am really disappointed in the quality of the images. With the outdoor cameras if a vehicle was much more than 20 ft from the cameras then I can’t read the license plates clearly. If someone was farther than 10ft from the interior cameras then their faces were blurry. Learning from this experience I would have gone all digital cameras and only used 3 or 4 instead of the 13 analogs.
My next system will not be analog.

ks

Is the swann system analog?

KEVINS

Established Member
Probably not. Digital will be a LOT more $$ than analog.
The part that really pissed me off is that all the gurus I spoke to about cameras all said that the cameras I picked out would be more than clear enough for what I wanted and praised me on the research I did. Well, they were all wrong and when I spoke to the security company they said that if I want more clarity then I needed to go digital. Plan and do this once!
I think I have about $2600 in my system

ks

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Probably not. Digital will be a LOT more $$ than analog.
The part that really pissed me off is that all the gurus I spoke to about cameras all said that the cameras I picked out would be more than clear enough for what I wanted and praised me on the research I did. Well, they were all wrong and when I spoke to the security company they said that if I want more clarity then I needed to go digital. Plan and do this once!
I think I have about $2600 in my system

ks
Holy cow

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
YouTube has a lot of good personal reviews of different cameras with actual recorded footage, so I would do a quick search for any camera brands/models before purchase to prevent disappointment.

Dynobrat

Established Member
I use logitech c910 cameras with usb extension cables, use the "listen to device" on the microphone, and record to pc. Not sure how far you want the cameras from your house but I like my setup. I can hear all outside noise (the mic works great (stereo mic) if you turn off right sound) and low light works pretty good.

I recommend it to anyone who wants something decent without spending a pile of money. The c910 cameras can be found dirt cheap and a usb extension cable isn't expensive either. I have two 10-12ft extension cables daisy chained together with no issues. Might not be an option for everyone but for next to no money you can have a good setup

With a laptop or desktop hooked up to a good audio system you can hear a mouse fart 50 feet away. Listen live will alert you better than any camera in low light. Just have to cover the microphone with a small piece of soft foam to keep wind noise down.

I used the microsoft lifecam studio webcam as well and works very well in low light. Easy to mount anywhere with a zapstrap. Again use a piece of foam to cover the mic and if rain is a concern just cut a small piece of plastic from a container lid and a piece of double-sided tape and place it on top. And you can use electrical tape to cover the blue led light if you want it to be super discreet.

You can also use multiple webcams on one pc using software like obs, manycam etc. The c910 was replaced by the c920 but the microphone on the c920 is not as good as the c910.

If your laptop has bluetooth you can use a bluetooth speaker and keep it by your bed when you sleep so you can be alerted. It's all pretty easy stuff. Even with high end cameras it can be difficult to catch a license plate from any length. If you get the vehicle make and model you are already on the right path. Stupid people aren't that difficult to catch. I live in a city full of petty criminals so it's important to me to protect myself and my property. I think $ 2,500.00 is pretty expensive if you can do it up for $ 200.00. The newer logitech cams have good image quality and record 30fps and listen live is good to have. That way you don't have to stare at the screen waiting to slice somebodys head off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread