Home built cancer cannon (laser)

Jayls5

Established Member
Kind of boring video, but still pretty crazy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi0kmQCN8Vg]YouTube - BluRay Laser burning things. 120 mW[/ame]

Jayls5

Established Member
meh its alright. I have a 400MW Wicked Laser and its a beast

Wavelength? Wicked lasers have a bad rep with their products. Did you measure the output yourself? I've seen people claim ridiculous power levels and it put out less than half what they say. The meters are kind of expensive, but my friend has one.

how long before the army gets to use this stuff

They already have a combat ready gas laser that can take down enemy missiles from (i forget how many) miles away.

If you're referring to diode pumped solid state lasers (DPSS), they recently came out with one in the thousands of watts I think. It's small enough to mount to a hum-v and set off mines/IED's.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Wavelength? Wicked lasers have a bad rep with their products. Did you measure the output yourself? I've seen people claim ridiculous power levels and it put out less than half what they say. The meters are kind of expensive, but my friend has one.

yes ive tested it with brand new E2 Lithiums at my school. Its 652nm (green) It output 402.7mw at first startup

02 Z06

Squeze me please me
Established Member

They already have a combat ready gas laser that can take down enemy missiles from (i forget how many) miles away.

If you're referring to diode pumped solid state lasers (DPSS), they recently came out with one in the thousands of watts I think. It's small enough to mount to a hum-v and set off mines/IED's.

Im waiting for the shit that cuts people in half like the movie Congo. Hummer mounted with a 2,000yd+ range and leaves a burn path on everything the beam touches. something so wicked if i tagged some sheethead in the feet he would fall on the beam and there would be a pile of dust on the ground.

Jayls5

Established Member
yes ive tested it with brand new E2 Lithiums at my school. Its 652nm (green) It output 402.7mw at first startup

Good stuff. I'm sure you know, but the green lasers are actually infrared diodes inefficiently converted through a crystal. If it doesn't have an IR filter on it, I would invest in goggles that filter that spectrum immediately. Even still, protect your eyes. People don't know it's going until the damage is done.

I'm surprised my dumb friend didn't blind his ass with his 300+mW red.

Im waiting for the shit that cuts people in half like the movie Congo. Hummer mounted with a 2,000yd+ range and leaves a burn path on everything the beam touches. something so wicked if i tagged some sheethead in the feet he would fall on the beam and there would be a pile of dust on the ground.

Well, you can probably set someone on fire with the one I described.

Jayls5

Established Member
how do u make those?

Purchase a replacement tray for a blu-ray drive. Get one with the correct diode that handles this power level (some suck and burn out at 15mW). Take out the diode while electrically grounded (static can blow them). Mount it into an adjustable lens housing, attach leads to the diode. Build a regulating circuit and attach the leads to the controlled output of your circuit. (potentiometers allow adjustment of the output if you want to control it... other items include a current regulating chip/cap/diode for reverse polarity protection, etc). Supply the proper current/voltage for the type of driver you built, and wire a switch inline. Heat-sink it to increase its duty cycle. Mount it all in something and you have a laser.

I got tired of building them personally. This particular one doesn't use the driver my friend and I built. This one primarily uses surface mount components, that way it fits in the little housing. We built a dual color laser, one with adjustable outputs, one that fit in a surefire flashlight housing... etc then sold them all :rockon:

Last edited:

Jayls5

Established Member
I'll be the first to say: I'am your next Buyer "JayLs5"

Price?

Haha, I'll PM you in a sec and find you a deal.

Come to think of it, this laser might be more than ~120mW. I forgot I tested it at 9.5V... Now it's at 12.4 and it looks a lot brighter. It might have had an effect.

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf3M-_RUSCM&feature=related]YouTube - How to Make a Burning Laser[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread