Home A/C pros in here

tistan

Established Member
I am having a problem with my heating and air. It will not switch between heat and air without flipping the breakers. When I switch it from heat to cool or vice versu, the fan will come on, but It will not heat or cool until I turn the breakers off and let the unit reset. My unit is a lennox, and it is all electric. Any suggestions on what is going on or what I can check would be appreciated.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I am assuming you have a heat pump? Out door circuit board keeps locking out the unit for a reason, hard to diagnose over the interweb with out seeing what it's doing. How does it run after resetting the breaker?

tistan

Established Member
It runs fine after resetting the breaker. Is this usually a situation that requires a new circuit board? It seems like I already had that replaced once for another problem.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Something is causing the board to lock out. Most boards have a diagnostic LED that will blink a series of codes which indicate what the fault is. My suggestion, the next time it fails, before you reset the breaker, carefully take the cover off the outdoor unit and look for the fault indicator. Printed on the inside of the service panel should be the fault code list. This will narrow it down to what the fault is, you most likely will need to call a licensed HVAC contractor to correct the issue. At least you'll know what to expect.

tistan

Established Member
It is under warranty so the part is covered, but I still get charged for the labor. I was trying to avoid a call to the a/c guy. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread