Holy hell! If you live with your girlfriend, add her to your insurance!

16kOrBust

Established Member
EDIT: ONLY DO SO IF YOU TRUST HER TO NOT GET A CRAP LOAD OF TICKETS AND GET IN AN ACCIDENT! :lol1:

I have insurance through Progressive and was on my own policy for my daily driver. My girlfriend was also on her own policy with Geico for her daily driver. Mine cost me $553 every six months for very high level coverage (no violations or claims) while hers was $680 for every six months (she just had a ticket just go off record from a few years back but hadn't renewed since).

Since we've been living together now and share expenses, I called Progressive and asked if there was any way to add her to my policy even though we weren't related but are living in the same household. To my surprise, they said I could, so with her insurance renewal coming up, I got a quote.

Before we were paying a total of $1,233 every six months for my high level coverage and her lower level coverage. When I added her and her car to my policy now both on the high level coverage, our total cost dropped to $836 every six months, basically a $400 savings! I was shocked. I imagine the ticket being off her record helped, but they still list it separately as $491 for me and $345 for her, so it's obviously much more than that making the price drop. Multi-vehicle discounts were added (on top of my bike one), so now I need to see if it makes sense to swap her bike insurance to Progressive, too. Even more savings would be great but I'm pretty excited about this as it is.

Just thought I'd share this experience so anyone else in a similar situation can inquire about possibly saving a crap load of money. I always thought you actually had to be related to be on the same policy but apparently in CT you just have to live in the same household. :shrug: :beer:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I ran into the same situation as you, although mine was already pretty low to begin with, so it didn't save us that kind of cash. I think women in general just have lower insurance rates, so when you added her to your policy, it's like lowering the risk to the entire policy in general. It's messed up, but it's true.
Also, in Massachusetts, if you live with someone they have to be on your insurance policy or they won't cover them in an accident. For example, if my gf got into an accident in my car, and she wasn't on my policy, they wouldn't cover it since we live together. Massachusetts has some ridiculous laws.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
You probably should have kept things the way they were, just in case you guys break up.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You can also say your married and get the discount for that too, even without adding your spouse to the account, and its not like they call or have any way to verify....

Inb4RDJcallstehinnernetfraudpolice....

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
You probably should have kept things the way they were, just in case you guys break up.

It's not really a big deal to get that changed if they break up. My ex and I were on the same car insurance and even phone plan and when we broke up I dropped him from everything in about 30 mins. He know about it beforehand and arranged for his own plan however it wasn't a big deal at all.

Jefe

Established Member
You can also say your married and get the discount for that too, even without adding your spouse to the account, and its not like they call or have any way to verify....

Inb4RDJcallstehinnernetfraudpolice....
Internet fraud police or just plain old Insurance Fraud? :lol:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
either/or.

not that ive done it because my luck id get caught, but 3 of my good friends all had themselves as married even though they werent at the time.

It depends on your state's law but I'm pretty sure they could argue fraud with common law marriage. In Montana you have to be living together to be common law married and that's about it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

Seinfeld did that with his girlfriend at the dry-cleaning place and it worked so I'd say go for it.

ttk53

Established Member
400/6 = $66.66

$66.66/2 since you split it = $33.33/month

yea not getting tied to a women for 33 bucks a month.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah, its because of the multiple cars & drivers discount.....

maple

Established Member
this!

just more things to add up when its "cheaper to keep her" my insurance is $500 a month as it sits. I dont need anything to make it go up or have them check my recod again
Son of a bitch. How many cars are on your policy?

Users who are viewing this thread