Hole in Driveshaft boot. :(

Softballer77

Established Member
Anyone had this issue yet? Didn't seem wet like anything had been flung out. I haven't called Ford yet. Hoping it can be fixed with just a boot replacement and not an entire drive shaft replacement!

20150701_100329.jpg

Softballer77

Established Member
Update:

Ok with my clutch install and the driveshaft coming out, I did notice that all the grease has been flung out as it's wet up there. It almost looks like something that was in it (couldn't imagine what) could have flew out if that's even possible. The way the hole is it just looks like it was torn from the inside out.

For one, I wonder if it can be regreased and a replacement boot put on. I certainly hope I won't have to pay for a new cf driveshaft now....:/

Snoopy49

Established Member
Do they sell a replacement boot and is the joint regreaseable? There is nothing in the factory service manual concerning the servicing of the 2013/14 driveshaft, only removal and installation. If the car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and see if Ford will replace the driveshaft under warranty.

Softballer77

Established Member
That's what I'm going to do Snoopy. I have noticed a little vibration and wonder if that's what it's from. I priced one through Ford for grins and they want $1500....damn.

Snoopy49

Established Member
DRIVE SHAFT - 2014 Ford Mustang (DR3Z4602A) $1,080.62. This was from AutoNation Ford.
Good luck with the dealer.

Softballer77

Established Member
Update:

Took to Ford. (actually a family member did for me as I'm out of the country) I called the service guy who looked at. He said it definitely looks like something from the inside came "out". But he also said that he would need to call Ford to see what (if anything) could be done. He said that since the rear gears had been changed, that he doubts they would "replace a $3000 drive shaft". I was like...HUH?? $3K?? No way dude...$1082 through autonation, and your own dealer said he wanted $1500.

Nevertheless, he said he would push it through Ford and see if there are any people who have had the same issue. You can now see where grease has came out and hit the tranny tunnel. I wonder if this was the "pop" I heard and felt something hit the trans tunnel on a road trip with my wife. I told him that a rear gear change should have nothing to do with having a possible faulty driveshaft bearing, or whatever else is in the boot that could have come loose.

He is going to get back with me after calling Ford. Will see and update here when that happens.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The DS loop probably doesn't help your argument at the dealer level as it implies drag racing, abuse, etc.

Softballer77

Established Member
The DS loop probably doesn't help your argument at the dealer level as it implies drag racing, abuse, etc.

I agree with you. However there are many ways of battling that one. How they could claim a 1/4 mile time and mph and then kill a warranty over me seeing if their claim is correct is beyond me.

I'm beginning to wonder the sizes of everything. Wish I had a blueprint of the DS. Perhaps there is a quick boot of same sizes out there that could replace the one that is on there. Would need to know what grease was used...and may need to be rebalanced at that point possibly...not sure.

Another thought is if I had to purchase another one, what would the one with that hole in it be worth to someone to recoup loss of $? It works perfectly fine.

I'm just hoping Ford finds something up with it, or has a history of a few others going bad and replaces it. I'd think i did something to it or ran something over to puncture it if the hole was different, and I didn't feel that pop on the floor board when it possibly happened? idk...

Softballer77

Established Member
Well, so far no word back from Ford.

Wonder what I could get for the existing DS? Everything other than the hole on the boot is perfect. It would have to be worth something...may put on ebay or on here if I decide to just purchase another one.

08KR525

Established Member
Softballer77, you previously posted that you have felt a slight vibration that may be caused by this DS. Why would you then try to sell it to someone else to help you offset the cost if a new one. If it indeed has issues and is non-serviceable then it needs to be scrapped plain and simple. As far as the warranty is concerned, I would think Ford would take care of it. The only reason that I could see them denying it would be if they thought whomever did your gear install possibly damaged it when it was removed and replaced.
I too run a '14 cf ds in my '08 KR. I was told by many people that a ds loop was not necessary. In the event of a failure the cf shaft will simply turn to fibers, thus not damaging the tunnel. BTW, if you want a replacement or spare '13/'14 shaft Shelby sells takeouts pretty regular on their Ebay auctions.

Softballer77

Established Member
Softballer77, you previously posted that you have felt a slight vibration that may be caused by this DS. Why would you then try to sell it to someone else to help you offset the cost if a new one. If it indeed has issues and is non-serviceable then it needs to be scrapped plain and simple. As far as the warranty is concerned, I would think Ford would take care of it. The only reason that I could see them denying it would be if they thought whomever did your gear install possibly damaged it when it was removed and replaced.
I too run a '14 cf ds in my '08 KR. I was told by many people that a ds loop was not necessary. In the event of a failure the cf shaft will simply turn to fibers, thus not damaging the tunnel. BTW, if you want a replacement or spare '13/'14 shaft Shelby sells takeouts pretty regular on their Ebay auctions.

I did have a slight vibration, though not sure exactly where it was coming from. However i'd like to think at least the carbon fiber portion would be worth something no? Maybe someone who can fix what is there as well? I don't know. It's just a small hole in the boot thus far. Yes, some grease has been flung, but even a cv axle doesn't go bad immediately when you split a boot. It takes a good while, and the car has mostly been garaged for the last 6 mos. (i'm away on biz)

Scrap it? For a hole in the boot? Id like to think gosh no. lol. But, if I do buy a new one, i can guarantee you this one will be put up for sale for someone to do whatever they wish with it. The fact that it has a hole in the boot isn't exactly something i would even think of covering up...I mean, i've only posted pictures of it everywhere. lol.

The Ford dealer put in an inquiry on it. I hadn't heard anything back on it. Sometimes, things aren't just worth waiting on when it takes so long.

The driveshaft loop is there for running at the strip. It's not there for daily driving. I've always ran a DS loop as it's only safe if you run slicks at the strip. Nothing wrong with added safety measures. Plus, most tech inspections require one if you do run slicks. They don't care what type of DS you run...

Users who are viewing this thread