HOA Contracts?

VictorySong

Established Member
I'm close to buying my first home and was wondering if it is normal to ask to see what is covered/prohibited under the HOA bylaws before submitting a contract on a home.:shrug: I'm not fond of HOAs in the first place so I'd like to see who is in charge, are they elected or developer appointed, rules on upkeep of home, displays of flags, number of vehicles, road maintenance, water rules(drought area), etc etc. However, the realtor told me that is completely unheard of and the contract is unavailable until a contract had been submitted.:dw:

I've passed on this home and it is now under contract but, I'd like to know what to expect if I encounter another. Was the realtor off base or did you guys get to see the HOA rules before buying?:beer:

ETA: Gardening was also a big worry for me since I know some limit number and types of plants.

Last edited:

2004Droptop

Established Member
That sounds wrong to me, I got the covenants before I bought...seems a little crazy you cannot see the bs rules before you go a few hundred thousand in debit. :shrug: I am no fan of the mostly worthless hoa's... sort like the government, you pay all this $ and don't get much of anything in return

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I would stay away from HOAs. It's your house and you should be able to do mostly anything without BS. Before people start saying that they prevent junkyards from forming outside, people leaving unsightly things, etc. From my experience, most middle class places without HOAs do just as well without them. With the added benefit of not paying a monthly fee for pretty much nothing, and no one breathing down your neck for working on your car, or having a small gathering, etc.

tistan

Established Member
Hell yeah!!! you should read the covenants before you sign a contract. I read my HOA rules several times before I signed a contract. I would get a new realtor asap.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I am in the process now of looking at houses, anywhere with an HOA I ask for the docs and have not encountered a single problem with getting them. Whoever told you that you can't see them is a moron and you should know not to do business with them. If they can't show you HOA docs they are hiding something.

Last edited:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I'm in the middle of buying my first home and I wouldn't sign a damn thing without reading the HOA's policies & rules. If your realtor can't get them, you need a new realtor. You are entitled to every bit of info available when you're serious about buying a home. Next option is avoid HOAs.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Yes, you can read the HOA rules before you sign a contract. IMO, a HOA can be a good thing because it keeps the riff raff out.

MY HOA fees are $330 a year and it covers common areas, a community pool, tennis courts, and a nice well light concrete sign in the development. I've never been bothered by them... but then again, I'm responsible and pick up after my dog, don't park cars in the street, etc. Some of my asshole neighbors don't pick up after their dogs and the HOA makes a big deal about that.

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys.:beer: I figured that seeing the HOA contract up front was common. I'm guessing the realtor wasn't interested in the extra work since it is a low commission home (<100k) or was just trying to push me into it since I'm twenty.

oldmodman

Established Member
You absolutely have the right to see all the things that you are agreeing to prior to purchase. But some really old covenants are no longer enforceable.

My house says in the deed that the house cannot be sold to Negros, Chinamen, or the Irish. Obviously no longer in affect.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I would stay away from HOAs. It's your house and you should be able to do mostly anything without BS. Before people start saying that they prevent junkyards from forming outside, people leaving unsightly things, etc. From my experience, most middle class places without HOAs do just as well without them. With the added benefit of not paying a monthly fee for pretty much nothing, and no one breathing down your neck for working on your car, or having a small gathering, etc.

For the most part I agree- local covenants still apply and you still have to comply whether you are in a HOA or not. My biggest problem with HOAs is the payments to them never stop- even after you've paid off your mortgage. That they can seize your property is pretty scary to me.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The realtor is full of shit. they HAVE to show you the HOA documents BEFORE anything is finalized. if they insist on this unethical behavior make sure you add a clause in ANY contract that it can be voided with a full refund of any monies paid if in a review of the HOA documents they are found to be unacceptable.

I THINK there is a federal housing regulation that covers this.

I'm close to buying my first home and was wondering if it is normal to ask to see what is covered/prohibited under the HOA bylaws before submitting a contract on a home.:shrug: I'm not fond of HOAs in the first place so I'd like to see who is in charge, are they elected or developer appointed, rules on upkeep of home, displays of flags, number of
, road maintenance, water rules(drought area), etc etc. However, the realtor told me that is completely unheard of and the contract is unavailable until a contract had been submitted.:dw:

I've passed on this home and it is now under contract but, I'd like to know what to expect if I encounter another. Was the realtor off base or did you guys get to see the HOA rules before buying?:beer:

ETA: Gardening was also a big worry for me since I know some limit number and types of plants.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
horseshit ... post is horseshit.

While you need to be careful in choosing your HOA, they can be a very very good thing. I don't know where your experience is but neighborhoods without them start out nice and then turn to shit ALMOST without exception.

Sapperstang

Established Member

Not to mention most cities have laws against the big things HOA's try to regulate. No damn way I'd live somewhere with somebody telling me what I can and cannot plant in my yard.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I was looking at buying a townhouse and skipped out on it due to hoa's they were a little too expensive . It's been really tough looking for a house . I saw a house for a reasonable price went to check it out it was in the middle of the ghetto and sold for 300k that's ridiculous . Good luck on your house hunt

PDubs

Established Member
Definitely read the HOA rulebook to see what you could run into BEFORE buying anything.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Go to a HOA meeting before buying too. My dad did that so he knew what sort of crazies had power. Then took over because he hated them.

alex3610

Established Member
I live in a subdivision without an HOA. Never again. The white trash that has moved in around me (lots of renters too since the housing crash) keep their houses like crap. Boats and giant RV's in the front yard, lawns are all weeds, houses with paint flaking off everywhere. Killing the value of my house, and as long as it doesn't violate a county ordinance, there is nothing I can do about it. I would however never agree to one without reading the rules first. Some of them can be ridiculous.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I live in a subdivision without an HOA. Never again. The white trash that has moved in around me (lots of renters too since the housing crash) keep their houses like crap. Boats and giant RV's in the front yard, lawns are all weeds, houses with paint flaking off everywhere. Killing the value of my house, and as long as it doesn't violate a county ordinance, there is nothing I can do about it. I would however never agree to one without reading the rules first. Some of them can be ridiculous.

It goes either way. My friend has an HOA. He got fined for a tree being planted to close to the lake. The tree was there when he moved in. Then he got fined for having a non-operative vehicle. He was rebuilding a friend's 302. He would push the roller into the driveway for a couple hours to give him working space in the garage, and then push it back in when done working. Then he got fined while putting on a new floor coating in his garage. During that couple day process he left his mustang in the driveway under a car cover. I guess that's against the rules too. :nonono:

I got back for him. They had just put down fresh blacktop on the streets not 48 hours ago. I dumped it in 2nd, and roasted them for 2-3 house lengths. They knock on his door accusing him of doing it. He said maybe it was the guy with a GTO down the road. 2 days later a notice is posted that they will AGAIN be putting down fresh blacktop.

Last edited:

jmsa540

Established Member
It goes either way. My friend has an HOA. He got fined for a tree being planted to close to the lake. The tree was there when he moved in. Then he got fined for having a non-operative vehicle. He was rebuilding a friend's 302. He would push the roller into the driveway for a couple hours to give him working space in the garage, and then push it back in when done working. Then he got fined while putting on a new floor coating in his garage. During that couple day process he left his mustang in the driveway under a car cover. I guess that's against the rules too. :nonono:

I got back for him. They had just put down fresh blacktop on the streets not 48 hours ago. I dumped it in 2nd, and roasted them for 2-3 house lengths. They knock on his door accusing him of doing it. He said maybe it was the guy with a GTO down the road. 2 days later a notice is posted that they will AGAIN be putting down fresh blacktop.

^^^Awesome friend!.. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread