hitting the track soon for 1st time want 12s

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Like the title says trying my luck in the 1/4 for the first time in a few weeks and my initial goals are to get into the 12s and hopefully not break the car. Track is at apx. 1000 ft. Temps probably be around mid fifties or so. Based on car description am I being realistic and any other advice for a first timer is appreciated.

03 cobra coupe 2.81 upper, UPR CAI, Jardine catback, ported throttle body and plenum, lfp heat exchanger and supertank, Kenny brown subframes, mm irs bushings, irs brace, nitto 555r drag radials in 315, custom tune, 93 octane. Everything else is stock and will be full weight.

Launch RPMs , shift points, tire pressure, ice the intercooler worth it . Opinions ? :beer:

Kenneth

Established Member
Buddy of mine recently ran his Cobra for the import faceoff. His first time at the track ever
Best run was 12.9@110
only mods are high flow cats. magnaflow mufflers, BBK CAI, tune. Nitto 555R

I really don't know if that's a good time or not.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
By the end of the day you should have a 12.xx slip maybe an 11.xx if you get the hang of it quickly. I would bring the tire pressure down to 20ish psi to start (I run my DRs at 15psi) and try launching easy (low rpms) at first and try to find the threshold of where your tires will hold. AND IF IT WHEEL HOPS GET OUT OF IT!!! and let that run go. Better to have to just try again later than tow the car home.

Biggest thing on your first track day is view it as a learning experience and don't judge how successful it was by your slip times. Gather as much knowledge from other drivers as you can and ask other people what they have found success with on setups similar to your own.

Users who are viewing this thread