Hitting The Track Friday....Any Suggestions?

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
Gents,

This Friday evening I will head to a local 1/4 mile track to see what my car can do. Does anyone have any lessons learned or best practices when running one of these things on street tires? RPM launch? Tire pressure? etc.

Thanks for the input. Mods in sig.

-Colby

Update: I got there at 5pm and stayed until about 11pm. I got a total of 12 runs in during test and tune. Below are my time slips at 75-80 near Fredrick/Damascus MD. I had problems with traction as you can imagine. Didnt quite meet my goal of breaking into the 12's but came just about as close as you can with decent 60'ft so I am over all happy. After about 3 runs back to back the clutch heated up and the pedal stuck to the floor. No suprise. I had a blast and was happy with the results. Car only has 1800 miles on it as well. There was a guy there with a 2012 5.0, 3.31, Intake and Brenspeed tune and was running consistant 12.7's. He was a better driver as I am still a beginner and his car was making 407hp at the wheels. Same stock PZero tires as me. There was also a ZL585 Camaro there who was also a beginner that was running around 12.5's on stock tires as well, he was also a beginner driver. Here are my 3 best slips:

35kkcu8.jpg

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Lower tires about 5 psi and just spin the tires to clean them an full blown burn out is not needed and
Take off the line with a little more then an average stop light you cam lauch on street tires with this car you will just spin

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yes come off just above idle.

Remember just have fun and get use to driving the car down the track and getting use to the tree.

-Thomas

Kyle55R

Established Member
You sould be able to run a 12.7-13.0 at 111. I got a 1.9 60' by doing a short burnout and slipping out the clutch at 2500ish. If you get a clean run you will notice you run out of gear in 4th a little bit before the line with the 3.73s. I hold out 4th.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Press and hold down the TC button for 10 secs to completely disable the traction control. Launch just off of idle, slight/quick burnout, focus on your 60ft (shoot for 1.9's or better). Hold the pedal to the floor in between shifts, shift at redline.

Here's a quick vid of my Boss when it was stock/stock tires, 6 consecutive 1.9's. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are critical to get right.

YouTube - 2012 Boss 302 at the drag strip

atistang

Established Member
Press and hold down the TC button for 10 secs to completely disable the traction control. Launch just off of idle, slight/quick burnout, focus on your 60ft (shoot for 1.9's or better). Hold the pedal to the floor in between shifts, shift at redline.

Here's a quick vid of my Boss when it was stock/stock tires, 6 consecutive 1.9's. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are critical to get right.

YouTube - 2012 Boss 302 at the drag strip
you dont have to hold your foot on the brake for the 2013's?

just remember you dont want to dump the clutch, you want to slip it just enough to keep your tires from spinning

depending on the track you might need to take it easy into 2nd and maybe 3rd gear

try both lanes and see which one has the best traction

i found my all season pirellis did best with 25-26psi

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
you dont have to hold your foot on the brake for the 2013's?

just remember you dont want to dump the clutch, you want to slip it just enough to keep your tires from spinning

depending on the track you might need to take it easy into 2nd and maybe 3rd gear

try both lanes and see which one has the best traction

i found my all season pirellis did best with 25-26psi

You have to press the brake pedal while holding the TC button for a minimum 8 seconds, or until "AdvancTrac Off" appears on the gauge screen.

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
dirtyd, thanks for the link. Alot of good advise there. Looks like you were in my shoes a few weeks ago. How did it go for you? What did you run?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
dirtyd, thanks for the link. Alot of good advise there. Looks like you were in my shoes a few weeks ago. How did it go for you? What did you run?

Never got the chance to make it out there. Weather closed the track, and my girlfriend has been having some health issues since then, so haven't been able to go back yet. Plan to in the coming weeks.

Kyle55R

Established Member
Nice runs for your first time out. Addicting isn't it? Haha

I had the same clutch issue, removing the helper spring completely eliminated the clutch pedal sticking. Not sure if you've had this issue... I had 3rd gear lockout in the worst way, a MGW shifter eliminated that problem.

Last edited:

Unrealford

Established Member
Nice runs for your first time out. Addicting isn't it? Haha

I had the same clutch issue, removing the helper spring completely eliminated the clutch pedal sticking. Not sure if you've had this issue... I had 3rd gear lockout in the worst way, a MGW shifter eliminated that problem.

I agree, MGW has eliminated my lockout 80% of the time...gonna change fluid and line like Burnin did.

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
The Barton bracket should fix missed shifts. I didnt really have an issue with them only but once or twice.

Users who are viewing this thread