Hit and Run

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
What constitutes felony hit and run? Basically, my excursion was totalled by an unlicensed driver who ran from the scene on foot. He was never caught and did $23,000 worth of damage to my car and about the same to the 2005 e250 van he was driving. The accident was deemed his fault as failure to yield.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Every state is different as to legislation. Most states hit and run without injury is a misdemeanor. But there are other facts, such as amount of damage.

jshen

Established Member
Where did this occur?

In GA, if one is attempting to elude police and in commission of crime..it's a felony. Locating your driver may not be too difficult if you saw him run and police there have a good forensics unit..

I hate H&R drivers! Been a victim of that and have no sympathy for em...

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
It happened in Raleigh NC. This happened about two months ago and I can't figure out why they released the van to the owner and have shown no interest in pursuing the case. Now i am left putting it through my uninsured motorist insurance and just waiting to see my premiums rise. Not to mention the tool left my wife on the side of the road holding my 3 year old and my 1 year old.

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
I am still amazed he was able to run. My wife t-boned him at 40 without even hitting the brakes. The wreck was heard from almost a mile away. The pd had two K9s after him and they still never found him. He admitted to a witness he had no license, then asked someone for a ride because he had somewhere else to be. The ride was refused and he took off running. I am so glad i wasnt there. I am too firm a believer in personal accountability. The van was registered out of Haymarket Va. and since the accident the owner has "dropped off the face of the earth", shut his phone off, cant be reached and so on.

jshen

Established Member
I would go to the PD that handled the accident report and politely ask for an accounting. "Who is doing the follow up and where are you with the investigation." Some may consider this "just" a civil matter and it's not. It is criminal. Fortunately I am from an area that takes these matters seriously.

Good Luck

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
Thank you for the suggestions. In past dealings with Raleigh PD they have been extremely thorough in gathering info before moving forward with a case. Someone broke into my wifes pick up and stole $2.80 and they finger printed the truck and fully prosecuted him for B & E 4 months later when they caught him for something else. I genuinely tip my hat to all of you. stay safe.

Last edited:

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
o4nccobra said:
The accident was deemed his fault as failure to yield.

04nccobra said:
Now i am left putting it through my uninsured motorist insurance and just waiting to see my premiums rise.

If he was deemed 100% at fault then your insurance carrier wouldn't raise the rate on your insurance. Or at least they shouldn't. You may want to contact your carrier for clarification. Hope this tip helps.

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
I was going by what our lawyer said would happen, but it would make sense to ask the insurance company. Thank you. The whole thing has been such a P.I.T.A it is sometimes hard to think straight.

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
I just find it baffling that the vehicle was released to the owner. They had it towed to a repair shop and it was picked up within 3 days. You and I both know the owner knew who was driving it, so why release it without questioning? Sorry, dont mean to rant and ramble.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
o4nccobra said:
I just find it baffling that the vehicle was released to the owner. They had it towed to a repair shop and it was picked up within 3 days. You and I both know the owner knew who was driving it, so why release it without questioning? Sorry, dont mean to rant and ramble.

The rightful owner of the vehicle has the right to pick it up. Additionally, you cant be certain of what is going on, whether they have questioned the owner or if they are investigating him.

Users who are viewing this thread