Hit and Run in LA

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So looks like they finally found the driver of the mustang.

This caught my eye:

Balyan’s bail was set at $3 million.

If convicted as charged, he faces up to 30 years to life in state prison.

Inmate records indicated Valenzuela bailed out on March 11, while Gevorgyan was released Friday.

So they found Balyan and set his bail even higher than the other 2. Then Gevorgyan, who was the charged driver but we say he was the start man, was released. I wonder if Gevorgyan flipped and gave up the driver for a deal.

he was not released, he made bail there is a huge difference between the two

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
UPDATE:

looks like they struck a deal to get all involved to plead to no contest to vehicular manslaughter. probably convinced them they were looking at murder and settled on lesser charges. theyre just waiting for the flag man to also make the deal or the whole thing falls through for everyone. GTR driver Izzy gets only 180 days in the pokey and 5 years probation and im sure 180 days will be more like 90 with LA jails overcrowding, if not even less. oh what a difference a high priced lawyer can make.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...driver-pleads-no-contest-in-pedestrian-deaths

Chatsworth street racing driver pleads no contest in pedestrian deaths

The driver of a highly modified Ford Mustang that struck and killed two pedestrian spectators during an illegal street race in Chatsworth earlier this year pleaded no contest Tuesday to causing their deaths, prosecutors announced.

Karen Gary Balyan, 43, of the San Fernando Valley pleaded no contest to two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and admitted to fleeing the scene, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said in a statement. Balyan, a male, also pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of assault with a deadly weapon.

He faces up to 12 years in state prison, prosecutors said.

Eric Siguenza, 26, and Wilson Thomas Wong, 50, died after the car allegedly driven by Balyan spun out of control during the race in the early morning hours of Feb. 26.

A third victim was seriously injured at the crash site in the 21400 block of Plummer Street west of Canoga Avenue.

Balyan’s co-defendant, Israel Valenzuela, 39, of Los Angeles also pleaded no contest Tuesday to two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. He was allegedly driving a Nissan GTR that was racing the 2014 Ford Mustang. Valenzuela faces 180 days in jail and five years of probation.

Both the plea of Balyan and Valenzuela, however, are conditional and depend on whether a third co-defendant, Henry Gevorgyan, reach an agreement, said Ricardo Santiago, a D.A.’s office spokesman.

Gevorgyan, of Van Nuys, is scheduled to appear for a pre-trial hearing on Thursday, Santiago said.

Police initially identified the driver of the Ford Mustang as Gevorgyan but later realized that it was Balyan who had been driving Gevorgyan’s car, Santiago said.

Balyan’s attorney could not immediately be reached Tuesday afternoon. A prosecutor declined to comment until after Gevorgyan appears in court on Thursday, Santiago said.

LAPD’s Valley Traffic Division formed a street racing task force late last year to address the problem that has plagued the community for decades.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I wonder what the starter faces if he agrees to the deal. Probably about the same as Izzy's deal?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I wonder what the starter faces if he agrees to the deal. Probably about the same as Izzy's deal?

probably if not even less since he wasnt even driving. the street racing laws focus on the drivers involved.

ive seen other stories where one drive wrecks and dies and the other driver gets away (later caught) and gets a severe penalty. izzys totally getting a slap on the hand here. im sure it cost him a small fortune for his big shot beverly hills lawyer though. its definitely worth if you can afford it. it sucks if you cant.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Not saying the drivers aren't at fault, but couldn't death have been prevented if people weren't ****ing, morons? I mean, you know you are going to a race where people can potentially crash. Why stand in the path where you know a car could end up? There should be a rule established where the crowd stays behind the cars when they are going to run.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Not saying the drivers aren't at fault, but couldn't death have been prevented if people weren't ****ing, morons? I mean, you know you are going to a race where people can potentially crash. Why stand in the path where you know a car could end up? There should be a rule established where the crowd stays behind the cars when they are going to run.

they were off to the side quite a bit but that doesnt help if the car goes sideways.

i went to the races back in my teenage days. back then everyone stayed behind the starting line. it seems like people maybe started standing on the sides once video taping the races and posting on social media got more popular.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
this line has me concerned: A new LAPD squad is working to identify street vehicles that have been modified to race, Bustos said. just what do they plan to do once they have a list identified? I am 100% against street racing. I am all for the murder charges and lengthy prison sentences. but a car that is modified for the track will look just like a car modded to street race.

thats horrible. I hope that never happens.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
they were off to the side quite a bit but that doesnt help if the car goes sideways.

i went to the races back in my teenage days. back then everyone stayed behind the starting line. it seems like people maybe started standing on the sides once video taping the races and posting on social media got more popular.

That's my exact point. Standing at the sides of these street races, is pure idiocy.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Wonderful, take someones life, get 180 days in jail.... So sick of this shit in our justice system.

I read last week about that teen douchebag who got off killing 4 people while DWI fled the country. The "affluenza teen". Stuff like this makes people want to take matters into their own hands. Give out some real justice.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
There should be a rule established where the crowd stays behind the cars when they are going to run.

Irony, in your home state you can get arrested just for being a spectator at a street race. There are rules in place, laws, which were broken by everyone in view of that phone video.

This country needs more places to thrash vehicles. If elected, I will ensure the construction of a drag strip and an autocross style course in every county across this nation to stimulate economic growth and eliminate the completely avoidable deaths of innocent people at street racing events (which let's face it, natural selection was just a matter of time for these people-play stupid games, win stupid prizes).

I'm SVTBoogieMan and I approve this message.
theboogieman-b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Not talking about a law, lol. Just rules at those meets. If you are going to break the law, might as well make sure no one loses their life while doing so.

Those rules you keep talking about are called common sense...

tommygun

Established Member
Wonderful, take someones life, get 180 days in jail.... So sick of this shit in our justice system.

I read last week about that teen douchebag who got off killing 4 people while DWI fled the country. The "affluenza teen". Stuff like this makes people want to take matters into their own hands. Give out some real justice.

Izzy was not driving the car that killed the bystanders, he was the other participant in the race.

The driver of the mustang is facing 12 years.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Driver in Deadly Street Racing Accident Faces 12 Years in Prison, Participants Also F

Driver in Deadly Street Racing Accident Faces 12 Years in Prison, Participants Also Face Jail Time

The drivers involved in a deadly street racing accident in February, 2015, including one Street Outlaws participant, have been charged with Vehicular Manslaughter.

001-street-race-crash.jpg

On February 26, 2015, Karen Gary Balyan and Street Outlaws participant Israel “Izzy” Valenzuela were involved in a fatal street-racing accident in Chatsworth, California, when Balyan lost control of his Mustang after launching, crossed lanes, and spun into the line of spectators watching the illegal street race.

[video]https://youtu.be/wfXRmKmX3r8[/video]

Both were charged with murder, along with Henry Michael Gevorgyan, who was the starter of the race and friend of Valenzuela. Spectators Eric Siguenza and Wilson Thomas Wong were killed in the accident, and a third spectator was injured but survived.

Balyan, who was the driver of the Mustang that veered into the crowd before fleeing the scene, pleaded no contest to two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and one misdemeanor count of assault with a deadly weapon. He faces 12 years in prison.

Valenzuela, the driver of the Nissan GT-R that Balyan was racing, and a prior participant on the Street Outlaws television show, also pleaded no contest to two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. He faces a year in jail along with five years of probation, and the Nissan GT-R he drove during the accident was destroyed.

Finally, Gevorgyan pleaded no contest to two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. He faces one year of county jail, with three years of probation, and his Ford Mustang, used that night at the street race, was also crushed.

This stands as a sobering reminder of why illegal street racing is wildly dangerous for everyone involved, not just the drivers fighting it out on the blacktop. In the wake of accidents like this, racers have begun to move toward “no-prep” drag-race events like Outlaw Armageddon, which bring the allure of the unprepped surface seen on the street into a safer environment for racers and spectators alike.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1601-dri...ears-prison-participants-also-face-jail-time/

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
convict the guy who was racing the car that killed the guy, sure. convict the guy he was racing with and give a lesser charge? fine. but i think they're going too far by arresting and convicting the guy who started the race? the "he made me do it" excuse didn't fly in school, and it shouldn't now.

i also disagree with them confiscating personal property to re-purpose or destroy. how about a court order that they get rid of it?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
convict the guy who was racing the car that killed the guy, sure. convict the guy he was racing with and give a lesser charge? fine. but i think they're going too far by arresting and convicting the guy who started the race? the "he made me do it" excuse didn't fly in school, and it shouldn't now.

i also disagree with them confiscating personal property to re-purpose or destroy. how about a court order that they get rid of it?

The guy who started the race is the owner of car that was technically the murder weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread