Hit a snag in life... opinions on what to do...

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
I have run into a string of unfortunate events lately, which leaves me to make some decisions.

Long story short-

I do not come from a rich family, but my parents do try their best for me. They bought me a 2006 Honda Civic for college. I pay for my college, my gas, my food, basicly everything except my car and car insurance.

Long story short... My Civic was hit on 1/6/08, and has about $3,200 worth of damage. While it was the other guys' fault, and it will be fixed, the value of this car has definitely taken a hit in the process.

The problem would not have arisen in that fact, as I would gladly keep this car until it was not worth much anyway, except that my parents have fallen onto hard times. They can't afford to pay for the car, and I can't afford to pay for the car. I make $8.70/hour working part time and going to school full time.

My options include:

1) dumping every loving penny I make + my tax return + my profit sharing for 2007 from my employer into my 1967 Mustang that has taken a painfully slow restoration, and daily drive it. I don't like this idea because old cars aren't meant to be daily driven, it is not in pristine condition, and it would be potentially expensive. I have a rear axle in the car but may need some work. I have a running complete 302. I would only need a transmission and a driveshaft, and all the other bells and whistles the car lacks. Potentially I could see this being about the $3,000 I might be able to pull together.

2) saving every loving penny I make + my tax return + my profit sharing for 2007 from my employer to buy cash in hand a beater. The problem I have with this option is that I might be looking at $3,000, and that will by no means buy a beater.

3) is there another option?

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
The last $3,000 car I bought blew up within 4 months. It was mechanically flawless according to the shop I took it to before buying, and then it threw a rod. I'm a bit gun-shy on buying cheap end cars now.

Also, insurance is a major concern... being 19 I know the wrath of the insurance gods

Ohms

Established Member
The last $3,000 car I bought blew up within 4 months. It was mechanically flawless according to the shop I took it to before buying, and then it threw a rod. I'm a bit gun-shy on buying cheap end cars now.

Also, insurance is a major concern... being 19 I know the wrath of the insurance gods

Get co-signed under your parents for insurace, theres a large discount for that. Im 20 and know how you feel. As was said before shop around, you can find a decent car for 3g's. You said you drive a Honda now, you probably know its pretty reliable I guarantee you can find a solid running Honda, or similar vehicle in that price range.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My dad bought a VW fox at georgia state government auction about a year ago for $300 and it only required a battery and tag etc. I certainly wouldn't touch the mustang because that is just a money pit even when you're well off. You also may want to look for older trucks, around these parts a later 80s model F-150 can be had for less than $500 with a 305 with 5 speed. My dad buys a lot of beaters for his side business that he does and while we doesn't use them daily they do perform on the weekends when they're needed.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
i wouldn't even consider the 67 an option for numerous reasons. First off it's gonna be too valuable...second it'll be about as reliable as a...well, 40 year old car lol.

I'd say for around 2K, you could find a very decent beater if you look around. Sell the honda and find a beater. It's never fun times, but college it's pretty much expected.

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
Look around man, I picked up my DD last spring for $2500.00.
DSC01083.gif

Before this Toyota I had a 96 S10 that had 180K miles on it w/ a salvage title, I beat the piss out of the S10. Bought it for $800 sold it a year later for $900. SHOP AROUND!!

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
My "beater" daily driver cost me around $600 about 4 years ago and it came with nice new performance suspension parts.

I still have it today, and I've put on a lot of mileage during my ownership.

There are some good "beaters" out there if you look in all the right places.

Good luck.

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
Yup Get A Beater You Can Find A Good Running Car For That No Problem, If You Lived Around Here I Know Where A 95 Maxima Is For 1500 Obo. All It Needs Is A Cv Axle Seal "about 15 Bucks" Other Than That It Runs Great.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
$2500 eBay - Fully loaded - damn near flawless - put 15k miles on already and only needed a few maintenance parts that I got for dirt cheap online. You sound like a spoiled kid when you say 3k won't buy you a car. You're lucky your parents have done what they have so far. Welcome to the real world.

2133_48.jpg

Last edited:

PONY MAN

Established Member
$2500 eBay - Fully loaded - damn near flawless - put 15k miles on already and only needed a few maintenance parts that I got for dirt cheap online. You sound like a spoiled kid when you say 3k won't buy you a car. You're lucky your parents have done what they have so far. Welcome to the real world.

2133_48.jpg
Doesn't sound spoiled to me,he is asking for fair advice.:??:

ChuckV

Established Member
IMO, buy a 1990s honda or toyota, you can find one REAL cheap, under 3k no problem. Japanese 4 bangers usually don't throw rods.

I wouldn't use the 67, not reliable DD, and you're out potential big bucks if you wreck it.

As for insurance, get one of your rents to co-sign, and you can insure it through theirs. You can do this until age 25, and you're usually looking at saving at least 50%.

PS: One of my buddies JUST picked up a Del sol V-tech, AWESOME DD, and he paid 2k for it. It's actcually a kind of fun car, because it weighs NOTHING, has acceptable power for what it weighs (good for 0-60 in the 6-7 second range), AND girls actually LOVE the way the thing looks, lol. It's a 2 seater, which sucks, but if I were looking for a beater, this'd probably be the first thing I looked at.

Last edited:

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
i know its not a great idea but if you are a responsible person why not consider a small student loan that you could pay off after school? that way you wouldnt have to be scrounging for money after you use every penny you have to get a DD, and since the car accident wasnt your fault couldnt you have gotten some reimbursement for the fact that the cars value dropped?

canibus

Established Member
forget about the resto. atleast for now. 3k will get you something farily decent. don't give up hope. the best advice i can give you is look for a better job. there are plenty of better paying jobs out there. you don't need to be making the big bucks but 8 bucks an hour isn't going to cut it anytime soon. I hear college kids always complain about being broke and how their always studying, yet i see them at every party plastered. i hope you're taking school seriously, because it would be a shame that your parents held their end even in hard times and you ended up doing nothing. sorry bout the rant but your situation reminded me of a lot of people that i know who had everything going for them. Then ended up worse then the kids who never went to college.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sell the Civic. If you live close to campus, get a scooter. I wish I had one, but had no problems pedaling to class. Some of my friends had hopped up scooters that would run up to 70 MPH.

Save every penny. You have the rest of your non-college life to enjoy transportation. :thumbsup:

Chopin

Seeker of Truth
Established Member

I would look for an old Volvo. The car can last like you wouldn't believe. Plus, its about as cheap for insurance as you are going to find.

Look. You are in college. Its an investment of your time and money so that you will have more income later. So look at a car at this point as nothing more than transporation. Remember: Einstien used a milk bottle crate to sit on in his old car.

wally9404

Established Member
i bought a 1990 ford tempo off craiglist for 1000 dollars car passed emission and inspection. i bought the car so my son would have cheap auto insurance.he drives a 2003 stratus and the insurance would have killed me.i have him listed on the tempo as the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread