hit a huge puddle..runnin rough???

chromeyellow98

Established Member
well thanks to a big pickup truck that was afraid of a puddlu on his side of the road he swung into my lane forcing me into the should and into 4" plus of standing water. a few seconds after the car started running rough and hesitating. it did not turn off but went pretty lean. i couldnt get more than 45 mph with 1/2 throttle. then the car wouldnt idle w/o help for more than 5-10 seconds. i checked plugs (they were in good shape) and i dried out my filter. i also sprayed maf sensor cleaner on my mass air meter. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD LOOK FOR OR DO TO GET MY CAR BACK INTO GOOD RUNNING CONDITION, THANKS!

LDC2335

Established Member
damn, where is your filter positioned? This happened to me in my dodge ram, i just started it and revved it for a few min to clean it out. I hope yours is that easy.

LDC2335

Established Member
see, and all the JLT lovers say it cant happen..

are you having any luck keeping it running? I cant give you any more advice other than run it alot, and try and get all the water out. Good luck!

Last edited:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I think this happened to crazycarlo as well. You might want to pm him and see what he did. Good luck man.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
This happened to me before and it needs time to dry out. It only took about 24 hrs after it happened to dry out for mine before it started right up. The filter holds a lot of water that is hard to get completely dry. There's water in the filter, on the MAF, in the piping, and probably condensation on the plugs even though you checked them for damage and sprayed the MAF. Let it sit for a bit and try to start it.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
yea i started it up after i blew out the filter and the car ran pretty good idle was a little whacko but she had the power and responsiveness back. ill let it sit all night and till tomorrow night and we will see how she behaves then. i am relieved i didnt hurt anything or ruin my maf sensor.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
I had that problem once when I was rinsing off the engine bay and water seeped into the cold air kit that I had. Was running sluggish and backfiring like crazy for about 15 miles before it cleared up. I would not worry too much. Just keep the throttle in check till the water is gone.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I think this happened to crazycarlo as well. You might want to pm him and see what he did. Good luck man.

Carlo's motor locked up, he's currently rebuilding it.

In regards to JLTs, any cold air intake is going to carry the risks that you could potentially suck up water. I know of two other cars local to me that sucked up water with JLT CAIs. Personally, I avoid cold air intakes all together due to this reason. 10* colder IATs just aren't worth it to me. OP, I realize this post doesnt help much, but I wish you luck in trying to identify your problem.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yes i was idleing and went through alot of water and locked the motor up. I have however hit a puddle like the OP and had my car stall before. More then likely it just messed with ur maf and once the filter is dry and all everyhting will be fine. IF u wanted an extra measure id change the oil just to be sure and see if anywter got in there but i doubt it did since ur car runs.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
car is starts up and idles fine now! didnt have the chance to drive it yet but it started right up and idels smooth so i think everything is good. thanks for the info guys.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
lol, i started it up a few min. ago and it didnt want to idle at all. it was surging and rich but after 45 seconds and a stall it started to idle smooth and then drove ok. tomorrows drive home will be the real test

Toasty

Established Member
see, and all the JLT lovers say it cant happen..

SSShhh, nooblet.

Crazycarlo **HYDROLOCKED** his motor. This sounds like a completely different problem.

FOr the record, JLT CAI here for 3 years with ZERO ISSUES.

Dont bash a product you dont run.

LDC2335

Established Member
SSShhh, nooblet.

Crazycarlo **HYDROLOCKED** his motor. This sounds like a completely different problem.

FOr the record, JLT CAI here for 3 years with ZERO ISSUES.

Dont bash a product you dont run.

nooblet? WTF is that, anyway, im so happy for you that YOU havnt had any problems with YOUR JLT, this thread states at least 2 people that have had issues with JLT CAI's or similar filter placement. Thats plenty enough to raise caution.

And i have ran similar set ups on several cars, one of which was stated above and have reported the same problem. So as far as knocking a product i dont own..hmm, i feel im justified. But hey, ill call it payback for everyone knocking the BBK that they dont have. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread